Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

fragrance free moisturizer for dry skin?

Looking for a fragrance free and essential oil free moisturizer for dry skin , preferably under $50. Recommendations?

Re: fragrance free moisturizer for dry skin?

@SlimNShady, I’ve been using Youth To The People Adaptogen Deep Moisturizing Cream with Ashwagandha + Reishi 2 oz/ 60 mL twice daily for a couple weeks—trying to find a great moisturizer before Michigan winter. So far, it’s amazing. It has a somewhat pudding consistency, no scent, applies so smoothly while just needing a very small amount. Hydration benefits are very long lasting. Highly recommend!

Also, side note on the SEPHORA COLLECTION All Day Hydrator - Hydrate & Glow 1.01oz/ 30mL that was previously recommended—this one has a VERY strong scent that I find reminiscent of funeral flowers. It’s so offensive that I could only try it once then never again🤢

the adaptogen cream is one of my faves! Just not rich enough atm, it’s actually what I am using and ran out of. 

If you’re into luxury items, I heard Tatcha The Indigo Cream Soothing Skin Protectant 1.7 oz/ 50 mL is amazing. Otherwise First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream Intense Hydration 8 oz/ 226 g is a good dupe!!  They both have colloidal oatmeal which is nourishing to dry skin and usually helps with things like eczema 🙂

They don’t have the tatcha one on sephora canada, but I’ll check out the FAB one thanks! 🙂

@SlimNShady  Here are 3 inexpensive moisturizers that contain no essential oils or fragrance (occlusive ingredients in parentheses): 

Also, consider Paula's Choice moisturizers. They make various options for different skin types, and you can buy samples/travel sizes of some of their products to try. 

Love the two cerave options! So unexciting but works so well and so affordable.

Thanks for the suggestions! I was actually looking at the Inkey list one and was wondering if it would be rich enough for my dry skin, I never tried it before. 

@SlimNShady  It depends on your skin type/behavior and whether or not shea butter typically helps your skin. I've been testing The Inkey List's moisturizer all month and it works for me, but not as well as my former favorite (which I won't list because it contains fragrance). I've been alternating it with CeraVe Moisturizing Cream and I kinda think my skin likes the CeraVe better. 

If your skin's especially dry or you have very dry patches here and there, you can give your moisturizer a booster: 

1. Apply a thin layer of facial oil over or under the moisturizer. Just put a couple drops in your palm, rub your hands together, and gently press the oil wherever you need it. Not all oils are occlusive, but they do all provide a nice emollient feel and deliver some antioxidant benefits. Sunflower, argan, squalane, marula, and mineral oils are occlusive. A good cheap facial oil to try is e.l.f. Nourishing Facial Oil, a wonderful blend of beneficial plant oils with no yucky essential oils. 
  2. Layer a petrolatum-based product over your moisturizer. I do this in the winter, and whenever I have very dry or irritated patches, with Aquaphor Ointment. If you're sensitive to lanolin, CeraVe Healing Ointment also works (its base is mineral oil). So will plain ol' Vaseline or another brand of petroleum jelly. @MCSSavvy 's Vanicream suggestion is also a good one! 

Oh, and don't be so quick to snub CeraVe. 🙂 All their products contain skin-loving ceramides, and their moisturizers contain pretty much everything your skin truly needs. In fact, I think mixing a couple drops of facial oil into CeraVe Moisturizing Cream will work perfectly for me this winter—and that combo will cost less than a jar of my former favorite moisturizer. 

@SlimNShady   I echo the Cerave recommendations!  My skin gets super dry in the winter in CeraVe and Vanicream are the only two that I've found that really touch it.  Cerave has a lighter weight lotion and then a thicker cream.  In the winter I actually like to mix the cream and lotion together.  Not sure why but my skin seems to like it.  Also, I use Vanicream for a barrier cream when my skin is dry/itchy on top of an application of the Cerave.  All three are scent free and can be found at Target, CVS, Walgreens, etc.  In the spring/summer I generally just use the Cerave lotion.  Eucerin is another scent free affordable brand that is easily accesible.  They have a nice range to choose from based on skin type or level of hydration/moisture you are seeking in your moisturizer.    

@SlimNShady Have you tried CeraVe PM?

No I haven’t. For some reason I’ve been very turned off by Cerave, it’s very unexciting, but it is affordable so I should probably give it a chance. 

-Elf Hello Hydration

-Elf Nourishing Night Cream

-No.7 Lift and Luminate Triple Action spf 30 cream

Those works for sensitive skin.

The spf in that No.7 cream suprisingly didnt break me out at all, and i have very sensitive/reactive skin with.

Elf is a very underrated brand, and No.7 doesnt seem to be well known, they have really good products. Dr Dray (Youtube and a dermatologist) talks about them in some of her videos.

Thanks for the suggestions! I have heard good things about Elf, they used to have it at  Walmart Canada and now idk where to get it.

@SlimNShady  im in Canada too, is Elf no longuer in Walmart??

Thing is they do not carry alot of theyre products and i bought the creams from theyre website.

But i think theyre also in Shoppers Drug Mart (online).

Hi @SlimNShady I am absolutely obsessed with SEPHORA COLLECTION All Day Hydrator - Hydrate & Glow 1.69oz/ 50mL . It is amazing! This product has Hyaluronic Acid, which draws moisture from the air to your skin, making it a really hydrating and moisturizing 💧It makes my skin feel hydrated, soft and glowy, could not recommend it enough! I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions, have a wonderful day 💕

thanks for the recommendation, but it does have fragrance in it

Conversation Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 39 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing