Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Toner?

Is it really necessary to use a toner after washing  your face? Sometimes I do, and some days I forget. Is it a part of anti ageing?

Re: Toner?

Thank you to everyone for your replies! I absolutely loved the feedback and all the knowledge on toners. Right now I am using the Thayers original toner without alcohol.

RE: Toner?

The purpose of toner is to restore the ph balance of your skin after cleansing. If you use a cleanser that is too acidic or too alkaline it will disrupt the acid mantle of your skin causing over production of sebum and breakouts. If you aren't too fussy about the Ph of your cleansers you should use a toner. Secondly it functions as a 'second cleanse' to help remove and residue that is left behind after cleansing. Try using one with ingredients to address your specific skin concerns like green tea for breakouts. Skincare is fun once you really investigate and get into it! You will see a difference!

Re: RE: Toner?

Thank you to everyone for your replies! I absolutely loved the feedback and all the knowledge on toners. Right now I am using the Thayers original toner without alcohol.

I have stopped using soap and started using Micellar Water. I can definitely tell the difference. My skin has calmed down with less breakouts. I occasionally use toner if I feel a breakout coming on.

I use it morning and night. It's a habit and I just really like the feeling of it. I refuse to use and expensive toner, I use one I get at the health food store with no alcohol and it's made with witch hazel and rosewater. It's by a company called Thayers. 

i think it's necessary for hydration but not really for anti-aging unless you're using one with those added benefits 

Toners aren't a necessity, while they are good for extra...

Toners aren't a necessity, while they are good for extra hydration if the right ingridents are in them. Most toners contain alcohol in them which dry out the skin not give them hydration. I love toners but if you want to continue using them check your ingredients, otherwise they are harming your skin more than helping.

I mostly use toner in the morning. 

I do a deep cleaning in the evening and in the mornings, I feel like I don't need that much cleansing. I run some toner over my face and feel fresh and clean. 

Toner is not necessary as it was created when most cleansers were not pH balanced (now they are). With that being said, I still use toner and I love it and I do think it makes a difference. It isn't specifically part of anti-aging however it does make your skin look better (in my opinion) which is always good. 

I think toner is one of the most important things. The beauty is that there are so many depending on your skin type! Even if you exfoliate and cleanse you would be surprised at how much excess dirt, oil, and dead skin a toner gets rid of. Toning for me personally is ESSENTIAL because I am oily and acne prone. Sometimes I even tone during the day to balance my skin and help with my excess oil.

I like to use a moisturizing toner after cleansing or exfoliating just to bring back hydration to my skin. I think you will start to see a difference in your skin once you use a toner regularly

I agree with all of these ladies' replies. I believe a toner is essential in your skincare routine, and it does not have to be the same one each time!

Couldn't have said it better myself! It does make a difference because it levels the pH in your skin. Just like exfoliating is a necessity to slough off old skin, these steps help prep your skin for all the serums and moisturizers that get applied.

I always use a toner. after washing it is very important...

I always use a toner. after washing it is very important to restore your skin to the proper pH. that is what your toner is for. doing this easy step can help serums and moisturizers sink into the skin.

I believe it's more about tightening pores before makeup and more thoroughly cleansing the skin. I use every morning as well and I clearly see the dirt and dead skin cells on the cotton pad even though I've just used my Clarisonic and face wash! (Although dirt is severely diminished when I use my Clarisonic vs hand washing).

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 13 Hearts Given
  • 14 Contributors
testing