cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

The Ordinary Skin Buffet?

Hello! 

I have been using the ordinary "buffet" serum for a little while now. The woman working at my local Sephora recommended that I use it morning and night in combination with whatever else I am using for my skin. This sale associate has given me great recommendations in the past that have really helped my skin so I trust her recs. I use a variety of Drunk Elephant, Belif, Caudalie, and Kate Somerville products with my Clarisonic. I really wanted to love the Buffet because the reviews were great and it does feel nice but I do not see any difference when I skip this step. Does anyone else find the buffet to be a crucial step in their skin care and if so what are you using it with and in what frequency? Some of the products in my routine are tagged below. I don't use each product everyday, I alternate based on my skin needs.  THE ORDINARY -  DRUNK ELEPHANT - C-Firma™ Vitamin C Day Serum DRUNK ELEPHANT - T.L.C. Framboos™ Glycolic Resurfacing Night Serum DRUNK ELEPHANT - A-Passioni™ Retinol CreamBELIF - The True Cream Aqua Bomb

RE: The Ordinary Skin Buffet?

I have been wanting to try it, but it didn’t seem like a necessity like some of my other Ordinary products.

Re: RE: The Ordinary Skin Buffet?

I think all skin care & cosmetic companies are constantly pushing customers to buy everything in their line.  Remember, it's about money.  I'm older & have tried a multitude of products along the way.  The expensive doesn't mean the best.

Re: The Ordinary Skin Buffet?

@NMarks39  How long have you used Buffet? It’s not a 100% immediate results type of product. I use Buffet at least once a day. I noticed a significant hydration boost within the first week of use, thanks to its good hyaluronic acid content. But I didn’t notice a slight skin firming/plumping result until 2 months later. 

I started The Inkey List Retinol last month and I’m convinced Buffet is helping both its effectiveness and my skin’s tolerance of it. Retinol (an antioxidant) and peptides enhance each other’s performance. I’m sure that’s why The Inkey List and Drunk Elephant’s retinols contain a couple peptides. Buffet is a major peptide boost, and it boosts my skin’s bff, hyaluronic acid. 

I think of Buffet as the peptides fairy, helping my skin build proteins behind the scenes and amping the effects of all my other skincare products. 🙂

@WinglessOne  do you use any vitamin c or aha or bha? I just got a bottle of buffet but was reading you shouldn’t mix it with any acids. 

@ather  I think The Ordinary says you generally shouldn’t combine peptides with direct acids. Vitamin C isn’t a direct acid, so by The Ordinary’s standards it’s safe to layer Buffet over a vitamin C serum. I’ve done that a few mornings. Heck, my vitamin C serum contains a peptide. 🙂 

I do use AHA and BHA. The Ordinary took the lowest common denominator route with their “don’t mix direct acids and peptides” advice, rather than provide a detailed compatibility list/chart of which of their peptides, acids, and vitamin C products. Their concern is how some of their product formulas (or I guess other brands’ products) might cause the breakdown of chemical bonds in some of their other product formulas. I use FIRST AID BEAUTY - FAB Skin Lab Resurfacing Liquid 10% AHA 2-3 times a week, and I’ve layered Buffet over it a few times. But I usually don’t put anything over it but BHA spot treatment for acne and my moisturizer. One night a week, I use that AHA serum and retinol. An additional serum (Buffet or otherwise) over those 2 would be unnecessary. 

Out of curiosity, I went to The Ordinary’s site while writing this, to see exactly what they say about it. I also looked at their regimen guide. And yep, they recommend not using peptides with direct acids. I’m going to ask my derm about that, because now I wonder if there’s any skin risk involved, or if it’s purely a “this ingredient may break down this other ingredient, rendering it useless but not dangerous” thing. 

@WinglessOne @snoflakefaerie  Thank you for your responses! So another thing that sparked my curiosity is that I mix DRUNK ELEPHANT - C-Firma™ Vitamin C Day Serum

and Drunk Elephant Protini™ Polypeptide Firming Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL

im not sure if it’s because it’s a ploypeptide that it’s different from the buffet or what. But I also mix it with DRUNK ELEPHANT - T.L.C. Framboos™ Glycolic Resurfacing Night Serum

ive sorta searched google a little trying to find an explanation but I can’t seem to find one. I also know that drunk elephant says that you can mix and layer all their products. So if they are saying it’s safe why is the ordinary saying it’s not. I really like the feel of the buffet but I also have seen results from TLC and C-Firma. I’m not sure if I am ready to give them up. I also use THE ORDINARY - Alpha Lipoic Acid 5%

once to twice a week which would mean I need to give it up as well. I am very curious what your derm will say. Maybe I have to many things in my routine but it seems to work so I’m confused. 😐

@WinglessOne @ather  before the Ordinary introduced the Buffet+copper peptide formulation, they definitely didn’t have any contraindication about using the regular Buffet serum with acids/vit C, so I would (and do) use Buffet with them. However, if you’re using the one with copper peptides, or another serum with them, I would steer clear of both acids and vit C at the same time (the Ordinary lists strong antioxidants as well). The low pH can apparently break the bonds of a copper peptide more readily than a non-copper one, which I agree would 1) make it less effective and 2) I wonder if it would create a situation with potentially hurtful forms of copper that are causing oxidation in the cellular structure (?). Wingless, if you do get to ask your derm I would be very curious about their answer!

@snoflakefaerie  Hmm that would make senses but I’m only using the buffet plain not with the copper. 

@NMarks39 

I agree with @WinglessOne; peptides aren't really a "I need a quick fix" product, but more of a long term building block to help keep your skin healthy over time. Regular usage is key, but results won't be obvious, especially in the beginning. It's doing good things for you behind the scenes of all your other products though 😊

As a side note, @WinglessOne , I actually did notice immediate results using Buffet, but that is *only* because I was using absolutely nothing before hand. No scrubs, no moisturizers,  nothing. My skin was instantly brighter and more beautiful. But yeah, if people have a skincare regimen,  they probably won't notice immediate effects.  I have to keep that in mind when I'm trying some of my skincare. 

The Ordinary Argireline Solution 10% is one such product. Oh you say you target the formation of wrinkles?! I'm all over that.  I'll let you know in a decade how wrinkle-less I am. Lol 

The Ordinary Buffet has peptides that I'm not sure the other products in your skincare include.  The other products in your skincare are focused on antioxidants,  moisturizing, and buffing of your dead skin cells.  Though I am not the expert,  I don't think any of your products in use provide your skin with the peptide workhorse that Buffet does.  Hope that helps.

@NMarks39 

RE: The Ordinary Skin Buffet?

Hi @NMarks39! I, too, really wanted to love Buffet, but for whatever reason, it did not work well with my dry, sensitive skin. What does is TO’s hyarulonic serum; however, I use based on my skin’s needs. It is not an everyday product. Hope this helps!

Re: RE: The Ordinary Skin Buffet?

Hi @6come6 ! Thanks so much for the info! I'm glad I'm not alone! I have been debating about trying the hyarulonic for a while so I will try that out soon! Thanks again! 

13 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 33 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing