Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

The Ordinary Layering?

I am a new user to the Ordinary and would like to increase the number of products I currently use from the line. I'm 21 with oily skin, Rosacea, and have persistent acne, but currently, I'm dealing with post-acne scarring. I'm thinking about adding The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mLThe Ordinary Alpha Arbutin 2% + HA Hyperpigmentation Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL, and/or THE ORDINARY - Salicylic Acid 2% Solution Here is my current routine Right now I use the exfoliating treatment The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Exfoliating Peeling Solution 1 oz/ 30 mL.

two times a week.

The Body Shop Makeup-Removing Balm with Camomille 

Cleanse with The Body Shop Tea Tree Facial Wash (2x a day morning a night)

OLEHENRIKSEN Glow2OH 7% AHA Exfoliating Dark Spot Toner 6.5 oz/ 190 mL

DRUNK ELEPHANT - T.L.C. Framboos™ Glycolic Resurfacing Night Serum (Night)

Mario Badescu Vitamin C Serum 1 oz/ 29 mL

Origins Dr. Andrew Weil For Origins™ Mega-Mushroom Relief & Resilience Soothing Treatment Lotion 6.7 oz/ 200 mL

Drunk Elephant Protini™ Polypeptide Firming Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL

Re: The Ordinary Layering?

Hey, @Eevee1! I think adding the Niacinamide would be beneficial but that’s it. There’s no need to add Alpha Arbutin or Salicylic Acid if you’re using the AHA twice a week as well as Framboos every night. You don’t want to over-exfoliate. Also, don’t use Framboos the same night you use the AHA peel. 

Protini is a great daytime moisturizer for us with oily skin. I use it and love it. If you can continue to use that daily, I highly suggest doing so. At night, I actually use Squalane Oil. The Ordinary makes a great one. I’m going to bed so it doesn’t matter if you’re shiny. The great thing about Squalane is that it will actually help level out your oil production. It’s not super thick and sinks into your skin nicely. I layer it over Framboos after letting it penetrate for a good 5 minutes. 

Remember...if you feel you need to add more product to your routine, add one at a time and give it a week or two before you incorporate another. This way, if you do have a reaction, you can easily pinpoint which product is the culprit.

The Ordinary is a great, affordable option but tends to cause pilling if you use too much or too many products. Let each layer penetrate for a couple minutes before layering the next. A jade roller will help speed up the process as well as allow each serum to penetrate deeper into the skin. 

Most importantly, make sure you are using a stand-alone SPF of 30 or higher every single day. Don’t rely on the SPF in foundation or moisturizers alone. It’s crucial because of the Vitamin C and acids. They cause our skin to be very sensitive to the sun and will cause more harm if not protected.

I switch between a few: Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen, Missha Sun Milk (the pink bottle is made for oily skin and leaves a velvet finish) and REN matte sunscreen. All three are great and Missha is the most affordable.  

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing