Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Starting my journey with prescription Retinol

Hi ladies and gents! ❤️❤️❤️ So I’ve decided to begin using prescription strength Retinol. I know a lot of you use it and would love to hear about your journey. I have an appointment with my Derm for May 6th.

I am 38 years old. I have combo skin that definitely leans towards oily (especially in the summer). No crows feet, no large pores, no acne and no forehead lines thanks to Botox...but I definitely did before. I do have a few fine lines under my eyes with hereditary dark circles. I am beyond grateful for the skin I have, I just want to keep it going for as long as possible. 

I’d like to hear some of your experiences. What other products did you use to help counteract dryness? How did you build up your usage? What is your routine on the nights you use Retinol? What was your skin like before and how is it now? How long have you been using it? Are there any facials that you recommend before and during Retinol Treatment? I know that my Derm will answer a lot of these for me, but hearing it from real people with real experiences gives me the knowledge and understanding I love. I realize  everyone is different but I also believe that there are tips and tricks I can only learn from you! 

RE: Starting my journey with prescription Retinol

I use a prescription trentinoin/azelic acid/niacamide. I started with the Trentoin at .02% and was just increased to .05% I use it every night with lumene sleeping cream, Roc eye cream with retinol and laneige lip mask. My daytime routine is a vitamin c 20%, vitamin E, hydraulic acid, ferulic acid and amino blend serum, coenzyme Q10 serum, Neutrogena Hydro Boost water gel moisturizer and eye gel and sunscreen. My skin has never looked or felt better and I’ve had no issues with dryness

Re: Starting my journey with prescription Retinol

@darlyndar I used a clindamycin-tretinoin prescription in my teens to treat some severe acne. I'm considering going to my doctor to be put back onto tretinoin after I finish this current retinol product. The retinoid tretinoin blows whatever effects you get from retinol in skincare out of the water, acne-wise and anti-aging-wise.

What other products did you use to help counteract dryness?

A lot of moisturizing all over face, eyelids, and lips, especially during nighttime. And sunscreen during day.

How did you build up your usage?

Followed doctor's orders to try once a week first with a pea-sized amount or smaller. Pea-sized amount was too strong, then dr said mix with moisturizer first to buffer the effects. I started with a much smaller amount with my moisturizer and worked from using weekly to 2x, then pea-sized amount every other day/daily.

What is your routine on the nights you use Retinol?

Back then before I got into skincare/makeup, the only routine I had was washing my face with water/cleanser and using Aquaphor and Vaseline as occlusive moisturizers on face and lips.

Wash face > pat dry > retinoid > moisturizer

Today, I would've added my cleansers/balm, hydrating toners/serums/essences and moisturizer/oil and removed the acids.

What was your skin like before and how is it now?

Before was oily and terrible acne breakouts. After I stopped using, had some breakouts here and there and still oily because puberty. Now after many years, my combo skin gets a little drier as I age but it's much smoother with 1-2 pimples during stress/periods. Still have some large pores.

How long have you been using it?

About 2 years

Are there any facials that you recommend before and during Retinol Treatment?

Avoid any waxing or exfoliation/peels while using a prescription retinoid. Before is ok though.

I can't speak about the anti-aging effects on my skin, sorry 😞 But it is a good preventative measure to take and is backed by many studies.

Tl;dr: Start slowly, moisturize a lot, sunscreen during day

Hi @darlyndar !  I think everything I am going to post you already know since you have such a great knowledge of beauty and skincare!  But I figured I'd weigh in anyway for others starting Rx retinoids, and so that I could share my passion.

For reference, I technically use Tretinoin .05% cream.  I started over six years ago.  One of my best friends began around the same time and while we have different skin (mine runs oily and hers is normal), we had similar experiences.  Her sister is a derm, so we had some extra help along the way.

What other products did you use to help counteract dryness?/How did you build up your usage?  

Spoiler

What is your routine on the nights you use Retinol? 

Spoiler

What was your skin like before and how is it now? 

Spoiler

Are there any facials that you recommend before and during Retinol Treatment? N/a

Misc:

Spoiler

That was awesome, @greeneyedgirl107! I feel I know a lot about OTC skincare, but am still naive about Retin-A. Knowing me, I’d think, “my skin can handle it! Let’s use it every single night”. I just recently started seeing some dryness with A-Passioni, so I’ve started to dilute it with moisturizer. 

I started Botox when I was 23 for preventive reasons and stopped when I became pregnant with my first son at 24 and again at 32 with my second son. I didn’t get it again until 6 months ago. I fell into the skincare black hole and bought everything to see if it could plump and fix my lines. While it did plump, they were still visible. Going back to Botox definitely gave me the results I wanted. I’ve just come to conclusion that it’s ok and there’s nothing to be ashamed of.

I have been seeing the same Derm as well as NP (for Botox) for my entire adult life. They know my skin and the issues I had before (I suffered from stress related alopecia when my mother died and being a first time mom at the same time) as well as an intense allergy to SPF as well as carmex and blistex (I would get huge, painful blisters all over my skin and mouth that landed me in the ER on several occasions). I literally just started using SPF again less than 4 years ago. The first time since I was 12. The new formulations have saved my skin and I was terrified to try them. 

Thank you you for sharing your experience! This is exactly what I needed to hear. I am nervous because of the dryness but excited for the long term results. I’m going to buy some CeraVe PM today!!! ❤️❤️❤️

@darlyndar Best of luck to you!  I'm sure you will be successful with Retin-A.  I hope the CeraVe PM works as well for you as it did for me and my friend.  If not, I know you have other good products at home.  🙂  It's also great to hear that you have such a good relationship with your derm and NP.

Keep us posted on your journey!

Spoiler
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your mom.  I lost mine when I was 30 and my sister was 22 and I still notice changes in myself.  Take comfort in your two children!  xoxo

I was prescribed Retin-A 8 years ago, after my 3rd course of Accutane, to prevent there having to be a 4th.

My experience may not be the same as others, since I've found that my skin has become more and more sensitive to it as I age. I used to use it every night, but now I can barely use it at all (which makes me so sad!).

So... this is my advice for avoiding irritation and getting your best effects, from when I had no issues:

• Use it only at night, on a clean face, and put a rich (but non-irritating) moisturizer on afterwards (putting it on right away helps with sensitivity issues, but waiting about 15 minutes helps with efficacy). Here, I had the best luck with Lancôme Bienfait Multi-Vital Moisturizing Night Cream 1.69 oz/ 50 mL. I started out at every other night, but quickly moved to every night without issue... the problems using it every night didn't appear until years later. Best experience-related advice here is to avoid anything too distracting while "waiting for it to sink in"... getting engrossed in a movie and falling asleep without going back for the moisturizer = Ouch!

• First thing in the morning, wash your face using a gentle facewash and facecloth. I found this makes sure you don't leave the retinoid on for too long, and gently sloughs away any cells you've turned-over overnight. Put on a soothing serum and moisturizer right away and you'll have less irritation.

• I'm sure your derm will drill this into you, but prescription retinoids make you super sun-sensitive (more than you'll expect). Before going outside, I always use a serum with anti-oxidants to help prevent sun damage (I use OLEHENRIKSEN - Truth Serum®) and a rich moisturizer with SUNSCREEN (I use Lancôme Bienfait Multi-Vital SPF 30 Day Cream Moisturizer 1.69 oz).

• You'll probably find you can use fewer products in your routine than previously, which can be hard for a beauty junkie! Don't worry about cutting back - you'll have less chance of irritation, and you honestly won't miss them. The prescription retinoid is more effective than my entire product-junkie list combined!

For me, avoiding irritation involved avoiding any further exfoliation - chemical or physical - which, unfortunately, meant avoiding facials entirely. Interested to know if anyone else had a different experience here!

Also, a tidbit I was surprised to hear from my derm: all the "guru" advice I've seen online about Retin-A recommended increasing strength over time. I've been with the best derm in Atlantic Canada for 22 years now (had major issues early on!), and knowing that I'd been at this strength for years and was moving into using it for anti-aging effects as well as acne, I asked him about going up in dose. He said nope, no need whatsoever - you won't get any noticeable increase in effect, but will have more irritation.

Please update... would love to hear what else you learn and experience! 🙂

Thank you, @skate08!! My reasons for switching to Retin-A are strictly anti-aging. I wouldn’t mind staying at a .05 forever.... I do believe slow and steady wins the race 😊

I definitely ditched a ton of product when I added A-Passioni to my routine. There are some adjustments with weather, but for the most part, my nighttime routine is A-Passioni and Protini mixed with Squalane. Daytime is simply Essence, exfoliating serum, Vitamin c, protini and spf. I’ve definitely stopped buying into the serum and anti-aging craze. Retin-A and Botox will be my life partners!

I use retin-A primarily as a spot treatment on acne scars, especially after Accutane and now I'm on my second round.  I put it on a clean face and rub it in slightly and leave it for a bit before putting something on top.  It worked wonders and gets rid of my red scarring quite quickly. Then I also put a small amount (like a grain of rice small) with my moisturizer and put it everywhere.  I haven't had much dryness but my skin is used to Accutane which makes you very dry so I don't notice much of a difference.  The avene cleanance hydra soothing creme is my holy grail moisturizer for avoiding flakes and dry patches if you were looking for a great moisturizer.  My derm actually urged me to use this one specifically and he was right. If my skin every feels like it burns slightly I just stop using for a few days.  I'd say if you want to build up tolerance start every other day or so and then start using it more.  But, of course your derm might have other suggestions so listen to them for sure. @darlyndar 

8 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 26 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing