Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare routine MtF

My spouse has recently come out to me as transgender. I am starting to encourage a skincare routine, as she's never had one before, nor cared to. I gave her a minimal version of my Drunk Elephant routine. She felt overwhelmed because of so much dysphoria about how her face looks unfeminine.

What are some things that I can do to help her accept her face, but that still apply as she takes hormones and does hair removal surgery, and other steps?

Also, her skin is very different than mine. So what would be a good, SIMPLE, routine for 30s, acneprone, normal skin? 

Any general advice for being supportive during a loved one's transition process would be fantastic, too. I've already introduced her to Briogeo Apple shampoo/conditioner, which is a million miles better than the Head and Shoulders she's used her entire life. 😕 We are also experimenting with what types of perfumes she enjoys wearing, and are working our way up to makeup.

Tags:

Re: Skincare routine MtF

@aletha409 You are awesome for being so supportive and glad she is finding herself as she wants to be. I find the Paula's Choice Clear acne line works very well for me. I use the pore normalizing cleanser and the anti-redness exfoliant which is salicylic acid (it's 2% bha). I use the OLEHENRIKSEN C-Rush™ Vitamin C Gel Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL as well. I use a couple other things but keeping it simple here.

I would say just keep playing with makeup. It's fun and I always get confidence when I wear a lipstick I love. Especially red, but that might be too much for her right away. She might like a tinted balm which is a bit more subtle. I would recommend a full makeup application at the store but I don't think they're doing that now. Maybe down the line.

Tell her BIC wishes her the best. Please feel free to ask anything. It's a very supportive community.

Re: Skincare routine MtF

Hi @aletha409!

It's so great that you're supportive of her!  BIC is a great place to find help on anything beauty, skincare and makeup related.  Everyone is so supportive and helpful here!

For a simple skincare routine, I would go with cleanser, toner, treatment, serum, moisturizer, and sunscreen during the day.  You could take out the toner to simplify it even more, but I would recommend using the rest.  Serums are great since you can layer them and they really help target skin concerns.  I'm guessing you already know this but make sure she chooses products that are right for her skin type and concerns.

For acne, products with salicylic acid or retinol work well, but shouldn't be used at the same time.  I use a dermatologist prescribed retinol cream as a spot treatment when I break out and it works great.

For makeup and skincare tutorials, you can check out the Sephora IGTV videos.  They're great for beginners!

If you want to ask a Sephora Beauty Director a question, you can ask them here: Ask a Beauty Director .  They take a while to respond but they're super knowledgeable!

You can also check out the Virtual Masterclass Thread to sign up for free online makeup/skincare classes!

There's a great perfume thread here: RE: Fragrance Junkie Central 

My personal favorites are Marc Jacobs Fragrances Daisy Daze (floral) and Juliette Has a Gun Lipstick Fever Eau de Parfum 3.3 oz/ 100 mL Eau De Parfum Spray (the red lipstick of perfumes).

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing