Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare extremely sensitive skin

What do you recommend for dry and extremely sensitive skin? I feel like I have tried everything and they usually cause breakouts in various ways or cause itching and irritation. 

Re: Skincare extremely sensitive skin

I have a similar problem with my skin. I have reacted to so many things that for a while my mom just stopped buying herself skin care because I was giving her all the stuff I reacted to. My best advice is to find a moisturizer that is fragrance free and doesn't contain essential oils, as that removes several common potential irritants. I use the SEPHORA COLLECTION Nourishing Moisturizer for Skin Barrier 1.69 oz/ 50 mL for a simple moisturizer that doesn't give me issues. I am recommending this as this is what I have used, but the key is to find a simple moisturizer without fragrance or essential oils, as these are often irritating to sensitive skin. Also, just a suggestion, but keep notes on the ingredients of things that have broken you out and the particular reaction. This might help you identify particular ingredients that are problematic. I have used that method myself, and it does help for future skin care shopping.

Hello!! I also struggle with really sensitive skin and most products burn/sting. I tried the Skinfix Barrier+ Triple Lipid-Peptide Lotion Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL   (not cream or gel) and it didn’t hurt at all!! However it wasn’t moisturizing enough for my combo skin so I would recommend trying the  Skinfix barrier+ Strengthening and Moisturizing Triple Lipid-Peptide Refillable Cream with B-L3 However, I currently use thFarmacy Honey Halo Ultra-Hydrating Ceramide Moisturizer and it’s amazing. My skin has never felt this good while also having no reactions or sensitivity. Either one is worth a shot tbh! Also kiehls  is really great for dry skin but not sensitive because it has essential oils in it. As for first aid beauty i tried that one as well and it was okay but clogged my pores and I didn’t find it hydrating enough! For a cleanser, I haven’t been able to find one from sephora but I really like La roche posays lipikar syndet AP+ cleanser (helps with eczema but also dry skin) I hope this helps!!!

@NikoDCLXVI my skin went pfft at a certain point. After a while I went to the dermatologist and they gave me prescription cream and a nice prescription sulfur facewash and everything was wonderful again.

Ohhh a sulfur face wash? I never heard of that. What are the benefits of using that?

Yeah i was asp going to say Skinfix Barrier+ Triple Lipid-Peptide Face Cream 3.04 oz/ 90 mL 

or #first aid beauty ultra repair cream 

First Aid Beauty Hydration Harbor  

Also make sure you are thinking enough water throughout the day! 🙂 

@NikoDCLXVI please see above for my comment

Thanks so much!! The water advise is gold! That has helped me clear my skin more than anything in the past couple of years. I always make sure to have half-3/4 gallon of water. Frequent bathroom breaks but for clear skin it’s totally worth it. Also helped my stomach with digestion. 😀 If you have any more advice like that, I would love to hear it! Someone in the comments has mentioned to apply moisturizer while skin is still damp, never thought of that 🤦‍♀️

Everyone is so incredibly helpful here, I wish I would’ve been more involved with the community here 

Thank you for the recommendations! Which do you like better or what do you like about each of them?

@NikoDCLXVI  can I ask you some questions? What is your routine right now? What has worked for you before?What has irritated you before? What are you looking for in your skin care?

I recently started using serum then moisturizer. But I’ve been having some troubles finding a good moisturizer . 
for clensing I’ve been using La Roche-Posay Hydrating gentle cleanser ( doesn’t dry my skin also doesn’t cause irritation, this has worked for a year now) in the morning I used mineral  spf from la roche posay. I’ve tried an spf from innisfree that caused breakouts after each use. 

for serum I have used Retinol from the ordinary at night. Doesn’t cause irritation.

for moisturizer most recently I have tried alpyn beauty melt moisturizer. ( it causes breakouts/acne)

I’ve tried belief aqua bomb, it caused red spots and itchiness 

then shiseido benefiance wrinkle smoothing cream enriched ( caused acne, it smelled amazing which is what I think the irritation came from)

I have tried 3 different products (serums and moisturizer) from Caudalie which had the worse result of all it always caused painful cystic acne 

im just looking for something simple that hydrates, doesn’t cause acne or other skin irritation. If it has anti aging properties that’s a huge plus but at this point it’s not a priority 

@NikoDCLXVI  A good simple moisturizer is Vanicream Moisturizing Lotion or Vanicream Moisturizing Cream. The cream's just a thicker consistency than the lotion. I use Vanicream Daily Facial Moisturizer which contains squalane. If you know your skin likes squalane (it can feel a bit heavy/greasy to some folks; I have mostly-dry combo skin), that's a good moisturizer.. Another good option is CeraVe Moisturizing Cream. 

Whichever moisturizer you choose, apply it to damp skin. This will help seal in hydration instead of dryness. 

Thank you so much for the suggestions, I haven’t looked into vanicream before. 
also thanks for the application tip! I would always towel dry my face and apply moisturizer once it’s super dry. I think this process will help a lot!!

What kinds of products are you looking for? I also have sensitive skin (my dermatologist calls it "delicate"), and I really like the Ren Evercalm line, especially REN Clean Skincare Evercalm™ Overnight Recovery Balm and items from First Aid Beauty like First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser 8 oz/ 240 mL and First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair® Cream Intense Hydration 

At the moment I’m looking for mainly moisturizer, but I’m open to other things that can help in the future 

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 31 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing