Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Serum layering

Hi everyone! I newly purchased several different serum‘s and would love some help in figuring out which combinations I can layer together for daytime vs. night time. 

Here’s what I have:

Glow Recipe Plum Plump™ Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Serum 1.0 oz/ 30 mL 

Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Niacinamide Dew Drops Serum 1.35 oz/ 40 mL 

Summer Fridays CC Me Vitamin C + Niacinamide Serum 1.0 oz/ 30 mL 

Drunk Elephant Shaba Complex™ Firming Eye Serum 0.5 oz/ 15 mL 

The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2% 1 oz/ 30 mL 

The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 Hydrating Serum 

I also have a vitamin c serum from Rosen and a Hydra beauty micro serum from Chanel. 

And then for post serum- I like this Chanel moisturizer I have and I recently bought Supergoop! Glowscreen SPF 40 Sunscreen with Hyaluronic Acid + Niacinamide 

Tags:

Re: Serum layering

@ananda1212 You've got a lot of overlap going on with these products so you wouldn't want to use all of them at one time. I'd choose some that you want to start with and focus on those. In addition to the great advice below about moving slowly and introducing new products one at a time, I'd look at moving towards a routine that looks like this:

A.M.-

-cleanse

-vitamin C (pick one: Summer Fridays, TO, Rosen)

-GR niacinamide drops

-DE eye serum

-moisturizer

-sunscreen

P.M.-

-cleanse

-HA serum (pick one: GR plum pump or TO HA)

-Chanel micro serum

-DE eye serum

-moisturizer 

@ananda1212 

To add on to @haleyvvvv  advice, with the Ordinary Vitamin C, it took me some trial and error to get it to work for me when I used it. It’s a great product and I definitely saw results from it, I would use it at night only and it would be the final step in my skincare routine after my moisturizer. I still got a stinging sensation from it for a few days to a week but it wouldn’t pill up. I was about ready to give up on the product then I read that helpful tip in a review and it truly worked.

Also, hyaluronic acid works best on damp skin. You are going to be a glowing goddess with all of those glowy products! 🙂 (I have dry skin, so the glowy goddess skin look is the way I’d like my skin to look also...LOL)

Hey, @ananda1212, you've got a great selection of products here. Because a lot of these are new, I'd recommend starting with one at a time and using it for a few weeks before incorporating the next.

There's a lot of different recommended ways for layering your products, including by thickness or pH. It is about finding what's best for your skin.

I've read in a number of places that Vitamin C should be applied early on in one's routine, so if you're using a toner step, then right after cleansing and toning and before essence and other serums. Only one at a time is good, you've got three listed. For the Ordinary Vitamin C, it takes a while to absorb, so you'll want to leave it for 30 min, otherwise the rest of your products can pill. 

For serums, first I'd use the firming eye serum, but only if you're going to follow up later with an eye cream or your moisturizer in the eye area. If you're not, then the eye firming serum can come after the rest of your serums before your moisturizer. 

I'd use a hydrating serum (again, you only need one at a time, either the Plum Plump or the Ordinary one or the Chanel one) as the last serum prior to your moisturizer. (Unless your eye serum goes last, as mentioned above, depending on if you're using an eye cream or not; then the hydrating serum would go second to last prior to your moisturizer).

Then of these, it depends on what you want the Glow Recipe Dew Drops to do, they kinda have multiple purposes. If you're using it as a serum and don't want peak glow, then before the hydrating serum is good. If your using for Glow, then after Sunscreen as a primer type product or mixed in with your foundation or as a highlighter. 

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 11 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing