cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

SERUM TO REDUCE REDNESS

Hello beauties, 

My goal in life if not to wear any foundation. But i have a bit of redness on my cheeks,oily skin and some acne scars. Any serums that will help reduce all that? I want to just try and have a natural face as I get older and will like to start using anything to help reach that goal. Your information is greatly appreciated. 😘

Re: SERUM TO REDUCE REDNESS

Thanks so much for the information, Is Benton Snail Bee High Content line on Sephora ? Sephora rep recommended tower 28 beauty serum n toner spray which I’ve only been using for two days but still interested in other options  

@jessica1980 No, it's a K-beauty product available from retailers like jolse, yesstyle, StyleKorean, Stylevana, Sokoglam, etc. 

@jessica1980 For redness from scarring, ascorbic acid has worked the best for me. For general redness, I've had good luck with things like snail and niacinamide. I'd highly recommend the Benton Snail Bee High Content line, especially the essence, and Algenist GENIUS Collagen Calming Relief 1.35 oz/ 40 mL as well. 

Hi @jessica1980 ! What's your current skincare routine? Also, do you have a skin condition that causes redness (rosacea, eczema, etc.)? 

I have mostly-dry combo skin, but my oily zone is also where I usually have surface redness: on and around my nose. My skin's quite reactive/inflammation-prone, so reducing redness is a daily thing for me. I also don't wear liquid/cream foundation. Here are the anti-inflammatory ingredients that help me the most (aside from hydrocortisone when my skin's having a very bad reactive day): 

• Centella asiatica (aka cica, gotu kola, or tiger grass) - Over the last couple years, I've noticed cica included in more skincare products. You may see specific forms/components of cica called out on ingredient lists, like madecassoside and asiaticoside. I use a standalone serum on mornings or nights when my surface redness is worse than usual: COSRX Pure Fit Cica Serum. I also recently tested and enjoyed COSRX Pure Fit Cica Cream Intense moisturizer, though the regular version might also work well. Sometimes my whole face needs soothing; that's when I reach for a sheet mask like Dewytree Cica 100 Mask, which has a serum/essence made of 100% centella asiatica extract. 

• Licorice root - It's probably in some of your existing products. It's in most of mine. But I also use a standalone serum that's mostly licorice root extract, and I usually apply it just to my red areas: It's Skin Power 10 Formula Li Effector

• Houttuynia cordata (aka heartleaf) - I haven't seen much of this ingredient in western skincare. But it's a key ingredient in my favorite sheet mask: Abib Mild Acidic pH Heartleaf Fit Mask. This mask also contains other great skin soothers: cica, purslane (portulaca oleracea), skullcap root (scutellaria baicalensis root), green tea, chamomile, licorice root, and allantoin. This mask is an anti-inflammatory powerhouse. I buy it several boxes at a time. 

• Azelaic acid - In addition to reducing inflammation, it targets hyperpigmentation. It's especially good for post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH), such as dark marks left by acne. If your acne scars are PIH, you may wanna give this ingredient a go. You can get Rx strength (15-20%) from your doctor. Or if you're in the US, you can buy 10% strength over-the-counter. My favorite OTC product is Paula's Choice 10% Azelaic Acid Booster 1 oz/ 30 mL which also contains 0.5% salicylic acid. I've also used The Ordinary Azelaic Acid 10% Suspension Brightening Cream and FaceTheory Lumizela A10 Serum with good results. 

To control my oily zone, I find that keeping that skin well hydrated (just like the rest of my face) reduces oil production there. Some people's skin is just genetically oilier than other people's; in my case, it's part genetics and part dehydration. Niacinamide can help with oil production, though it's probably already in most of your skincare products. 

Hello Winglessone, 

Thanks so much for all the information provided. I don't have a skin condition. I believe the redness is just old acne marks. Not sure how to explain it. It just not all one color. Either acne scars, oily face and some brown spots. I usually just do the norm. I use a moisturizer daily before my make up, wash my face with neutrogena face wash and use a vitamin c serum every night. I guess I'm looking for something to help my redness and acne scars fade and try and have a solid tone to be able to wear no foundation or powder. I know no one skin is perfect but just trying to better it before getting an older 😃

I never found anything that worked for my redness and dark under eye circles. I bought the ordinary caffeine serum and it’s helped so much! 

Caffeine serum ? Ooh from where? Sephora recommended tower 28 & innbeauty project for the redness

Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing