Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Retinol burn

Last week I burned my face really bad after using a retinol product (non active) and immediately going into the sun. 

my face looks fine now, with a few dry spots but my face is finally holding moisture for the past 3-4 days now. I’m moisturizing 5 times a day, but I’m staring to peel a little and was wondering if using my BHA toner is a good idea to help get rid of the dead skin cells? I read BHA/AHA are good for sun damage and removing dead skin cells. Just want some one else to agree with me before I do it LOL 

Tags:

Re: Retinol burn

I did the same thing. Chemical burn from Retin A that was too strong. Dr. Brandt Skincare Hydro Biotic™ Recovery Sleeping Mask helped me get through it. It didn't burn my skin and is very hydrating and good for sensitive skin.

No exfoliation for topical vitamin A burns!!

one thing aside from just basic skincare that helped a lot for me is an ointment to try to get an occlusive layer over the areas of burn, where your skin barrier is compromised. I’ve used aquaphor in the past, as well as Cerave healing ointment. Vaseline would work too.

I wouldn’t recommend any type of exfoliation; AHA, BHA, physical or otherwise, after burning your skin. It can irritate and make the situation worse.

Your skin barrier, moisture barrier has been compromised. Give your skin time to heal on its own.

Gentle basic skincare, aloe and 50 SPF is my suggestion. Remember the skin left after the damaged skin sloughs off is delicate and very sensitive to sunlight.

Thank you, I ended up holding off on using my BHA until my skin felt/ looked mostly healed. My skin started to gently (when touched) peel a little so I did a test of BHA on a small section- no pain and no damage. Waited my 24 hours and then did a side of my face and now I’m now peeling and my skin actually feels almost normal lol. 

thank you! 

I did “overuse” my Tretinoin once (several times). My skin was terribly red, raw and peeling everywhere. Super painful. The only moisturizers that didn’t burn me were Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin™ Cream ,La Roshe Posey Cicaplast Baume B5 and Drunk Elephant Protini™ Polypeptide Firming Refillable Moisturizer 

I wonder if Drunk Elephant Protini™ Powerpeptide Resurfacing Serum with Lactic Acid 1.0 oz/ 30 mL with lactic acid would be good for removing flaking skin on retinized skin?

On the backside of retinizing I have used Mendelic Acid to remove flaking skin. Did the trick and didn’t sting.

But my dermatologist has really pushed being very careful with exfoliating when on a retinoid.

All my best on your road to recovery! Muah!

image.jpg

@SamnElla @Couldn’t have said it better! 

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
Photos1
  • image.jpg
testing