cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|
Anonymous Insider

Reformulated products

I just have to make this rant on behalf of everyone. What's up with buying a product that's been amazing, no sensitivity, want to keep using it for the rest of my life because it's perfect....and I get it in the mail and realize it's been reformulated and now has a bunch of irritants. I have a theory that the beauty brands contract with the places making these products, and then if they become a success, the producers hike up the cost. This with interest on their loans to start up likely forces well-meaning brands to reformulate to cheaper products.

Re: Reformulated products

Thank you for bringing this up.  In your experience, is the company being transparent to the consumer about the reformulation, or would one have find out by reading the ingredients?  

Something similar to this was addressed by a makeup reviewer who loved a palette and recommended it to a fam member who did not experience the same effect w the pallet. The reviewer then compared ingredients and saw changes from the original--something like that. 

Anonymous Insider

Spoiler
Exactly. There's no way to know if a product I'm ordering based on fantastic reviews is still even the same. It used to be that products were required to have new packaging when a formula was changed, and it may still be this way. So that's one way to tell. But I'm pretty sure I've seen products that have a different formula and it's still the same packaging.

Yup--wow. I'll look to see if there are any regulations regarding this.  

@Anonymous This post would be a perfect fit for the Pet Peeves post. Here's the link for that in the future:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/Beauty-Pet-Peeves-2/m-p/2543348#M88889

Anonymous Insider

Thanks! I would also add Sephora employees posting as innocent contributors commenting to make it appear like readers of this forum have never heard of surprise reformulated products. Those of us with sensitive skin suffer the most.

Sephora employees have an official tag in their name whether MOD or SephoraBeautyAdvisor or whatever. Everyone else are just shoppers like you, me, and everyone else in this thread. 🙂 @Anonymous 

@Anonymous It seems to happen & is a shame. One would think brands would reformulate to make their products better at least but as to why some choose to do the opposite, I guess only they know.

I, personally, didn't notice that with any products I used - but I guess that is also because I am still searching for my holy grails & often don't repurchase products for too long, if at all. But I have come across a number of reviews complaining about reformulated products that are just not the same anymore, don't work the same anymore or just fell from grace due to reformulating & cause bad reactions now etc.

Sorry, that happened to you - not sure what product you were ranting about but I hope you find a good alternative soon. 😉

@Anonymous 

Example?

8 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 12 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing