Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Please help me find a skincare routine for sensitive, acne-prone skin!

Hey guys, I'm on a mission to make 2018 my year of skincare transformation! I have dehydrated, oily skin that is very sensitive and acne-prone (just another fun side effect of PCOS, am I right ladies?) 

Anyway, I'm trying to find a regimen that will help to banish my moderate to severe cystic, hormonal acne once and for all. I'm eager to hear your recommendations! I'm looking for a cleanser, toner, and moisturizer, but I am also open to learning more about serums, essences, and extra skincare products that may help me as well. 

I'm currently using Boscia Detoxifying Black Charcoal Cleanser, Thayers Witch Hazel Cucumber Face Toner (from Amazon), Belif The True Cream Moisturizing Bomb, and The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Solution as a spot treatment for acne when things get really bad. 

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions! I really appreciate it!

Anonymous Insider

Please help me find a skincare routine for sensitive, acne-prone skin!

I'd be careful not to use too many blemish fighting ingredients. If your skin is dehydrated I'd recommend adding more hydration than just a moisturizer. Perhaps look into a serum or even the hyaluronic acid + b5 from The Ordinary.

Re: Please help me find a skincare routine for sensitive, acne-prone skin!

Hi @s97wheeler!

I'm with you on your skin goals.  It's been mine for the last 2 yrs and it's been a trial and error process.  What works for me may or may not work for you.  I suffer from combo/oily dehydrated skin and what I've found is that when I use product that are drying, my skin gets more oily, so I've taken a less harsh/more gentle approach to my skin and it has worked for me.  I'll share a link of the skin care routine that I use here:  https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Skincare-Routine-for-sensitive-oily-skin-that-is-sli...

The products you use: cleanser and toner are pretty drying.  And I'm a fan of the Thayer's Cucumber Toner but currently using the Rose one (in the evening) as it's less drying and more hydrating.  In the morning I use Herbivore's Green Tea Toner which is gentle/doesn't dehydrate but does help balance my skin.  Also in the morning I wash my face with a more gentle facial cleanser as I'm only washing off my natural oils and any serums I used the night before.

I hope you find some nuggets of gold in my skincare routine that help you!

RE: Please help me find a skincare routine for sensitive, acne-prone skin!

In addition to following a good skin care routine, talk to your endocrinologist about prescribing a medication to help eliminate excess androgen in your body. PCOS causes acne because of high androgen levels. The one most commonly prescribed is spironolactone. The BC pill can help, too, with androgens and other PCOS issues.

@s97wheeler  I do have some product recs for you.  I swear by FAB Pure Skin Face Cleanser.  If you are looking for drugstore, CeraVe has some nice cleansers.

For moisturizer, I like CeraVe PM. 

For BHA, I highly rec Paula's Choice.  It comes in 1, 2, 4 and 9%.  I apply it all over everyday.  For spot treaments, I use Persa-gel by Clean & Clear.

I've never had any luck with toners, but I bet Paula's Choice has nice ones.  I'm a fan of the brand, and so is Wayne Goss apparently.

@s97wheeler I rec looking up some of the products you are using on beautypedia.com and seeing how they stack up.  For example, the Boscia cleanser got 4/5 stars, witch hazel can be irritating to skin, and The Ordinary's SA product doesn't sound like it's all that it could be (I prefer Paula's Choice).

Also, have you seen  derm?

@greeneyedgirl107 Thanks for the link to beautypedia.com, I checked it out and I'm sure that it will be helpful in the future! Yes, I've been to a dermatologist before but she was unable to significantly reduce my acne issues with prescription products and/or medication so I decided to go the natural route if I was going to be getting the same-ish results. Thanks again for the link!

@s97wheeler Happy to help.  I'm sorry the derm didn't work out for you.  Of course, you can always get a second or third opinion.  I remember in high school I had a crummy derm and my mom thought he was fine so she wouldn't take me to another.  Long story short, once she got bad info from him then she chose another derm...I went to him to and he was SO much better.  

I love that your focusing on your skin in 2018! I have been in the skincare business for quite some time and I can give you a few recommendations. Since your skin is very sensitive, focus on using natural products that arent super heavy. You can also try many water based products that will tend to your dehydrated skin. 

First off, you will want to start off with a cleanser, here are some recommendations for you: 

- First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser is a very gentle cleanser that will hydrate and cleanse your skin without being harsh or stripping it of its natural oils.

- Caudalie Micellar Cleansing Water is lighter than a cream cleanser. This one removes makeup, hydrates, and softens the skin. It is also very gentle. 

Next, you can go in with a light gel moisturizer, here are a few I like:

- Tatcha The Water Gel is super light, hydrating and great for oily skin. 

- Drunk Elephant B-Hydra Intensive Hydration Gel is also great too. 

Lastly, here are some of my favorite spot treatments:

- Mario Badescu Drying Lotion.

- CLINIQUE Acne Solutions Clearing Gel.

Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing