cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|
Anonymous Insider

Oily dehydrated skin

Hi, this is the first time I’ve asked a question on here so I’m not really sure how this works lol. But anyways, my skin on my T-Zone and my chin (especially my chin) is oily, very oily and I’m prone to a bit of acne on my chin and hairline, but my skin is also super dry on my forehead and cheeks. 

I’ve tried CeraVe cleanser for normal to dry skin but it broke my chin out and I’ve tried biore charcoal and the baking soda one but they dried my skin out super badly. I tried the Neutrogena oil free moisturiser for combination skin but I noticed no difference. A couple days ago I bought the Neutrogena hydro boost expholiating cleanser and the moisturiser with it because the reviews were good, and it worked well for a few days and then my skin got really bumpy, red and itchy. It looks like I have huge pores and texture which I usually don’t. The itchiness is annoying but I’m more worried about what I should try next? I’m looking for cheaper products and maybe some K-beauty products since they seem to work really well for most people. Thank you! 

Re: Oily dehydrated skin

@lorrainewarren I would also suggest two-step face cleanse with an oil cleanser- target has some pretty good options, but last I checked Burt's Bees has both an oil cleanser and a hydrating rose toner you might want to check out. And while my suggestion for a water based cleanser is on the pricier side compared with the rest of your routine, I think it would be worth it. Biossance Squalane + Tea Tree Cleansing Gel 5.07 oz/ 150 mLis great for combo skin- gets my combo skin clean without overdrying, balances my oil production, and tea tree is also great for helping with breakouts and generally calming my skin. The natural beauty sections of some co-ops and grocery stores in my area also have some lower-priced tea tree cleansers (you could also probably do a search on amazon) but I can't speak to their efficacy/ compare.

I think starting a two step cleanse and adding a hydrating toner would be good first steps, as they may solve the problem, but if not as many here mentioned you may want to add in a hydrating serum and/or look at your moisturizer. There are moisturizers that contain haluronic acid as well as moisturizing agents so I don't know that a serum is always necessary, though I do use one to supplement in the winter when I'm extra dry

Anonymous Insider

Hey, I've been doing a lot of research on my face, and my skin is dehydrated at the moment and oily as it's type. You need to fix the dehydration first, then reevaluate your skin type & normal routine. Hydration and moisturize aren't the same things,  and using basic "moisturizers" to target dehydrated skin will usually make it worse. Hyaluronic acid is the good hydrator. Try using the double cleanser method at night where you use an oil cleanser then use a sensitive skin am/pm cleanser, without exfoliants or acne treatments. Use a hydrating toner in layers up to 7 (klairs supple prep), the more dehydrated your skin is, the more times you apply, wait,  apply, wait, and vice versa, less when your skin doesn't need more than one. I'm going to try the rohto super aqua moisture milk spf 50 for my daytime moisturizer/protective layer. You can look up hydration serums to add to your routine. Just remember, one new product added in every 7 days,  so you know how each reacts to your skin, you know if it's that one causing problems. Reevaluate your skin type after that,  and adjust the routine and products for your baseline healthy skin. 

Anonymous Insider

WARNING Don't use hyaluronic acid products if you live in dry climates or during low humidity seasons because it will pull moisture from your skin to the air. Normally it pulls moisture from the air to your face. There's a bunch of hydration active ingredients for alternatives. See "S.O.S. save our skin" group on facebook 

thanks @Anonymous for posting these good points! I didn't consider the outcome to the products you mentioned having different results due to a certain climate. I appreciate this posting, it has gotten me to reexamine some of my skin regimen a little more closely with regards to the environment that I find myself in..Thank you! 

@missxmas @Anonymous Actually, you can use hyaluronic acid products in dry climates if you're quick with your skincare routine! You have to apply them on a damp face so that the HA can hold the water (I apply my Hada Labo Hyaluronic Acid lotion using wet hand and apply on a damp face). All humectants work the same way, so you have to make sure you lock it in with a good occlusive asap, especially if you live in arid areas.

Anonymous Insider

WARNING Don't use hyaluronic acid products if you live in dry climates or during low humidity seasons because it will pull moisture from your skin to the air. Normally it pulls moisture from the air to your face. There's a bunch of hydration active ingredients for alternatives. See "S.O.S. save our skin" group on facebook 

Anonymous Insider

Oh, and dehydrated skin will make your oily spots more oily, and your dry spots more sensitive, and chemical exfoliants make both worse when you're really dehydrated. 

@Anonymous Generally Neutrogena doesn't have great ingredients. Charcoal and exfoliating cleansers shouldn't be a daily cleanser, as it's too drying and skin doesn't need turned over so frequently. Cerave I've reacted too, even though most like it. Really depends on ingredients that work for *you*

Hormonal acne typically shows up on chin. Hairline, keep hair away, headwear washed routinely, hair products do transfer, so watch where applied, keep hands off oils transfer.

La Roche Posay has limited ingredients, made for sensitive skin and no irritants. I use the hydrating cleanser and double repair moisturizer. I'm oily combo,  both of these keep me balanced. First calm the skin down, then address concerns.

Can also use a hydrating serum/booster, where needed, then moisturizer. Also an oil at night, as moisturizer.

@Anonymous   First, let me say that as someone who loves the Warrens and their stories, I love your screen name! 🙂 As far as the skincare, it sounds like you may have some sensitivities that could be at play. Do you know what specific ingredients might be causing your breakouts? 

I'd start kind of simply to make sure you don't overwhelm your skin and give yourself a chance to keep an eye out for what products aren't working for you. Personally, I've found that I prefer western cleansers that aren't drugstore (FAB and Philosophy) so hopefully, someone else will have a good recommendation for that, but as far as other items that are specifically K-beauty, I love CosRX Oil-Free Moisturizing Lotion as a light moisturizer and most Benton products. Their aloe line is nice but I adore their snail bee high content line for serums and moisturizers. 

@lorrainewarren  I would check out an oil based cleanser to balance your skin. It will hydrate your dry spots and help prevent oil production in your oily spots. It can also help with acne due to congestion since oil does a nice job breaking up grime and dirt. You want to make sure the oil cleanser is good quality though, which honestly can be tough with more “affordable” option. I fully believe you need to invest in your skin care and the ingredients you use. I love L'Occitane Shea Cleansing Oil 6.7 oz/ 200 mL. I think it’s $24 a bottle which is a lower price point for a higher end brand. The Biore products can actually be pretty harsh, since they really seem to assault the skin with massive exfoliation. You may have fallen victim to over exfoliation, so take some time away from that until your skin heals. 

I’m not an expert on K-Beauty but I do incorporate a few products in to my routine. I’ve enjoyed the brand Skinfood in the past, it’s available at Ulta. It’s been a while since I’ve used it, but looking at their product offerings, the Peach Jelly Soothing Gel 90 may be a good moisturizer for you to try. It’s $8 so definitely affordable! 

Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
testing