Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

My pores and oily skin

My pores are always filled with GUNK!!!! I always wash my face, moisturize etc. I get tons of white heads, pimples, black heads, etc on my nose. I get so disgusted by how it makes my nose look, so I โ€œemptyโ€ the pores out ((take a pimple tool and pop each and every clogged pore or blemish)), Iโ€™ve been doing it since I was like 11 and it always comes back. Also I have tried a million moisturizers but they all seem to make my skin so gross and oily, like if you touch my face youโ€™d think u dipped your hands in a gallon of McDonaldโ€™s fries. So please anybody help me with these issues.  I am looking for a moisturizer thatโ€™s good for oily skin and a product that will help unclog me gross pores. Please give me recommendations!!  ((I am 15)) 

Re: My pores and oily skin

@AlextoslayMK I highly recommend a bha product by Paula's Choice.  It comes in 1, 2, 4 and 9%.  Start with 2% and take it from there.  A clay mask can help.  I love innisfree Pore Clearing Clay Mask 3.38 oz/ 100 mL .

I personally like to use a mechanical scrub.  I used to use philosophy The Microdelivery Exfoliating Facial Wash 8 oz/ 240 mL but prefer an old formulation.  I currently use Kiehl's Since 1851 Epidermal Re-Texturizing Micro-Dermabrasion 2.5 oz/ 75 mL although it's on the grittier side.

I had similar issues with my skin and it lasted well past my teens, so here's what I did that seemed to help.

First, try being consistent but gentle with your skin. Daily (or twice daily) washes with a gentle cleanser were better than once in a while with a harsh acne cleanser for me. And you don't want to strip the skin, as it may make more oil in response. So a gentle moisturizer is necessary. Second, give it time. It took about 4 weeks for me to stop seeing brown residue on the face cloth when I rinsed my face (I don't wear makeup. This was old dirt and oil finally getting cleared out of my skin). On average, it takes about a month to see real changes from a skincare routine. Third, find a sunscreen you like and use it. Sunlight can cause the oils in your pores to oxidize faster, leading to more clogged pores. I like mineral sunscreens (Australian Gold tinted Face Sunscreen is my favorite one) but that's just personal preference. The best sunscreen is the one you will use. Fourth, wash your pillowcase at least twice a week. Yeah, oil can build up on it and contribute to skin issues. I learned this the hard way.

OK, so for the ingredients, go gentle. Active acne ingredients can be harsh  so I have a gentle cleanser for the morning, and use an AHA cleanser at night. I use a toner because my skin likes it, but I wouldn't say it's necessary. I found that I needed a heavier moisturizer, but starting with the #SEPHORA COLLECTION All Day Hyaluronic Acid Hydrator Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL  would be a good idea since you mentioned having very oily skin. As far as my routine, I have resolved about 85% of my clogged pores and acne issues, and just generally have more balanced skin, but it took about 4 months of consistently following my routine once I figured out what my skin needed to get to that point. AHA, BHA, and PHA are good ingredients that can help clear your pores, but be gentle with them as they can be harsh. I had the best luck with using my fingers to apply and massage the cleanser onto my face, paying special attention to my problem areas, then using a wet face cloth to gently remove the cleanser. Also, drinking enough water can help, too, as I find it keeps the sebum thinner and less waxy for me. 

My current routine is 

Morning: SEPHORA COLLECTION Clean Skin Gel Cleanser with Prebiotics 4.22 oz/ 125 mL , SEPHORA COLLECTION Super Glow Toner with Vitamins C + E 6.76 oz/ 200 mL , SEPHORA COLLECTION Nourishing Moisturizer for Skin Barrier 1.69 oz/ 50 mL ,then sunscreen.

Night: SEPHORA COLLECTION Smoothing Cleanser with AHA + BHA , SEPHORA COLLECTION Super Glow Toner with Vitamins C + E 6.76 oz/ 200 mL , and SEPHORA COLLECTION Nourishing Moisturizer for Skin Barrier 1.69 oz/ 50 mL 

If I wear makeup or have layers of sunscreen on, I use SEPHORA COLLECTION Melting Cleansing Balm with Algae Extract 4.22 oz / 125 mL before I start my routine to get the makeup or sunscreen off my face first. Occassional (like once or twice a month) pores strips can be helpful to make a cosmetic improvement, too, but I haven't found them to have any lasting benefit.

What's your current routine, @AlextoslayMK? Constantly popping and using an extractor could be causing more harm than good. 

Hey @AlextoslayMK! Whatโ€™s your current skincare routine and products are you currently using? There may be some ingredients in there that are comedogenic (aka pore-clogging). Try searching for options that are non-comedogenic. 
I have dry skin, so Iโ€™m at the opposite end of the skin spectrum, but anything with hyaluronic acid is good for all skin types and is also non-comedogenic, so it shouldnโ€™t clog up your pores. I like #SEPHORA COLLECTION All Day Hyaluronic Acid Hydrator Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL.

As for cleanser, you could look into CeraVe foaming face wash (drugstore brand). I found their products, even the ones for dry skin, too be too drying for me. They might be better suited for you. And since itโ€™s a drugstore brand, it wonโ€™t be so bad if you end up not liking it.

Good luck with your skincare routine! I hope you find something that works for you. 

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 12 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing