Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

If you havenโ€™t joined in yet, better late than never!

tenor

Post as frequently or infrequently as you would like, with or without following the challenge. We love hearing about every masking experience, and suggestions are always welcome. 

This Weekโ€™s Theme: Blind Pick Your Mask! @veronika23 gave us this weekโ€™s daring challenge. Thank you bringing a little suspense into masking, lovely!๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿผ

Letter of the Week:  F

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 8.35.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-03 at 8.34.43 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-03 at 10.02.51 AM.png

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

F is for Factr

IMG_20210801_163421537.jpg

• This is a thin, pink in color microfiber sheet
  • Fit was good except over the eye area, just a bit small
  • The scent was definitely herbal and reminds me of the scent from omorovicza products
  • This is a bubble mask, the only issue I had was the eye area, after removing the sheet (10min) bubbles did produce past the eye holes
  • I washed my face with the damp makeup eraser
  • My skin did feel cleansed, not so much anything else
  • It's not my favorite bubble mask, still fun to try thoughIMG_20210801_163425328.jpg

I got Youth To The People Superclay Purify + Clear Power Mask with Niacinamide 2.0 oz/ 60 mL as a GWP, and tried it that very night.  I was surprised by the texture, as it was more silky than even my CLINIQUE Pore Refining Solutions Charcoal Mask 3.4 oz/ 100 mL .  However, I found that to be a disadvantage because it was slippery when applying, and I found that I had to go over areas more than once in order to get opaque coverage.   

It dried down quickly enough.  I thought it was going to be like The INKEY List Kaolin Mask 1.7 oz/ 50 mL in that it'd turn more translucent when it was done doing it's thing.  Instead, it just kinda looked like grayscale from GOT!  This is the first clay mask I've had that I felt a little uncomfortable with the dry down.  My skin got too dry and itchy.  (I will say that I had used a clay mask the night before, which I've never done before - I was just so anxious to try YTTP.)  I also found it a smidge difficult to wash off.

The next day, my skin didn't look any better.  It's been so hot and my skin's been so greasy, so it was a real let down.  My skin generally looks more "clean" after using my fave clay mask, innisfree Pore Clearing Clay Mask 3.38 oz/ 100 mL .  I really don't think I'll reach for the YTTP again.  

That is disappointing the clay mask didnโ€™t work for you  @greeneyedgirl107 - I donโ€™t like the super tight itchy ones either 

@greeneyedgirl107, love that Innisfree clay mask! ๐Ÿ’– It's a staple for me, and this time of year, I'm upping my use from 1x per week to 2-3x depending on how oily I get. Good to know about the YTTP; I was curious about it, but it doesn't sound like I need to run out to try it.

E is for Extreme

IMG_20210731_202056129.jpg

• Vegan coconut jelly bio cellulose sheet
  • Fit was long at the chin, and the eye holes were small and round
  • Adherence was great
  • Serum was extremely thin like water, tons extra in the pouch
  • No scent detected at all
  • Wear time was 20 minutes
  • The results, were anything but extreme,,, maybe more hydrated, but I definitely didn't notice any moisturizing at all ๐Ÿคท I thought the serum was way too runny and thin to do much
  • No tackiness
  • I'd say more of a fail if you're looking for extreme moisturized skinIMG_20210731_202122725.jpg

โ€ƒ

@lmaster, while it's nice to hear this was hydrating, it's too bad the results didn't live up to the mask's "extreme moisture" name. 

The sheet was nice @itsfi however, if you just threw some water in your face and then placed this sheet over it,,, that would be the comparison ๐Ÿคฆ

I've been using the masks in this sheet mask pack once a week for the last 5 weeks. As for as the letter of the week theme goes, it's been an A for antioxidants, B for BCL Saborino, C for vitamin C, D for daily use (how these sheets are intended to be used), and finally this week, an E for every day masking or evening masking. 

Peaches ... yum!Peaches ... yum!

tl;dr: ThisBCL Saborino 5-in-1 Mild Night Care Face Mask (5 sheets) - Melting Fruits comes with 5 thin-leaning, extremely pliable cotton sheets marketed as a 5-in-1 gentle moisturizing nighttime mask that works in as little as 60 seconds. Coming out of the packet, each mask is lightly coated with a clear, liquid serum bearing a fresh and faint peach scent. The sheet mask appears to run very small but it soon becomes apparent that the material is extremely pliable and can be easily stretched to fit many face shapes and sizes. The initial tack that remains even after the essence is fully absorbed becomes undetectable as you continue with the rest of your skincare routine. For how little essence the mask seems to hold, it performed as claimed, providing a light, but noticeable level of moisture to the skin 

Spoiler
Mask:BCL Saborino 5-in-1 Mild Night Care Face Mask (5 sheets) - Melting Fruits
Material:
Cotton, slightly-thin leaning; very pliable. Lightly dampened with serum.

Adherence:
Fine

Fit: 
Looks to run small coming out of packet, but because of how extremely pliable the material is, it can be easily stretched to fit the face.

Essence / Serum:
Hard to tell consistency of essence as there's just enough to make the material damp; appears to be clear, watery liquid

Scent: 
Fresh and faint peach scent 

Ingredient Spotlight:Peach leaf extract; aloe; honey
Claim(s):
5-in-1 gentle moisturizing nighttime mask that works in as little as 60 seconds.

Other Noteworthy Traits:
  • Said to work in as little as 60 seconds, per Japanese instructions. English version of instructions recommends 10-20 minutes of wear. That's quite a difference. 

• Alcohol-free, menthol-free - the menthol-free aspect is a huge "pro" for me, as similar mask packs that contain menthol have caused my eyes to sting and water/tear up. It seems that the nighttime versions of these Saborino mask packs are free of menthol, which I find to be a plus.

• Contains parabens, added fragrance - While I prefer the product to not have added fragrance, it doesn't bother me too much here as the scent isn't overwhelming and it's the last ingredient listed. The inclusion of parabens isn't a deal breaker for me, but I note it as it is of more significance for others.
Results:
For how little essence is included in the mask, it did perform as claimed, providing a light, but noticeable level of moisture to the skin. There's a tack that remains after the essence is fully absorbed, but that becomes undetectable once a moisturizer or oil is applied. 
Best Suited For:
Normal, oily, combo skin most of the year, but it may not be moisturizing enough during the colder months. These masks could work well for those with dry skin in the warmest part of the summer, though following up with a moisturizer may be preferred for some.

Repurchase?:Probably. I like the peach scent to this evening mask pack and I especially like the lack of menthol (that is prevalent in the morning masks from this brand), and that it is lightly moisturizing, the latter of which I was surprised by given how little serum is in the material. I prefer using this as a quick and easy  mask on those mornings when my skin needs just a little extra love, but I don't have or want to spend much time on a lengthy skincare routine. 60 seconds with this mask, followed by light moisturizer, sunscreen, lip balm, and I'm done

Mask Shape & Size
: Coming straight out of the packet, the size and shape of this mask do not resemble most sheet masks or my face shape, but thankfully, the material stretches for a better fit.
Spoiler
E - BCL sheet photo.jpg
Ingredients:
Spoiler
from YesStyle:
Water, glycerin, isopentyldiol, diglycerin, PPG-14 polyglyceryl-2 ether, ascorbyl glucoside, allantoin, aloe vera leaf extract, perilla leaf extract, citrus fruit extract, honey, sodium hyaluronate, polyquaternium-61, honkanzo flower extract, Magwa root bark extract, peach leaf extract, water-soluble collagen, (eikosan diic acid / tetradecane diic acid) polyglyceryl-10, BG, PEG-60 hydrogenated castor oil, xanthan gum, citric acid, sodium citrate, palm oil fatty acid PEG- 7 Glyceryl, citric acid, tocopherol, phenoxyethanol, ethylparaben, methylparaben, fragrance

Doesn't sound too bad at all! @itsfi the peach scent sounds most fabulous

@lmaster, it was a good mask pack, and peachy scented too! Based on the varieties I've tried from this brand, it seems like my skin prefers the mask packs meant for evening use. 

I had planned to use this mask for "D" week, for a "do over" but I picked up the wrong mask. Oops. Instead I'll try to stretch this one into innovative (?) or maybe beauty ideas to try in 2021 because it's a mask I tried in 2021. Hahaha! This will just fall into the category of "not following the challenge" mask.

E - innovative Mediheal chip.jpg

Spoiler
Mask:Mediheal Golden Chip Acupoint Mask - Illuminating
Material:Charcoal mask
Adherence:Good
Fit: Width was fine; length was off at the forehead (1" too short) and the chin (1/4" too long). 
Essence / Serum:Clear; standard viscosity, not too runny
Scent: Very subtle scent with a slightly herbaceous / plant scent
Claim(s):Brightening, toning, stimulating
Other Noteworthy Qualities:This claims to have some acupressure benefits with acupoints on the side of the mask that is to be applied to the skin. Directions call for pressing these acupoints upon initial application and before removing the mask, the latter of which I forgot to do. Oops. 
Results:I'm not sure about the acupoints, both due to my only use this mask this one time and also I'm not sure what I should have expected from it. From the sheet mask ingredients themselves though, my skin felt hydrated, dark spots and redness looked lighter / faded and my complexion looked brightened. 
Repurchase?:Probably not. I am a huge fan of Mediheal and their catalog of sheet masks. The results of this one were wonderful but I'm not altogether certain that they couldn't be reproduced with another mask, and one at more wallet friendly price point - the acupoints in this masks drives the price up. 

What the Mask Looks Like:

Spoiler
Front sideFront sideAcupoint side (to be applied against the skin)Acupoint side (to be applied against the skin)

Wow @itsfi this mask really intrigues me. I love acupressure (and acupuncture) info and having it implemented into a mask sounds so interesting! Good to hear your thoughts on it and that you probably wouldnโ€™t rebuy though. Boo. 

@Sunnysmom, I think the concept of acupressure massage is interesting ๐Ÿ‘; I'm just not sure that the ball where the acupoints are supposed to be, on this mask are necessary. I wonder if I could go through the steps of pressing each acupoint 3 times right after applying the mask and right before removing, but with a different sheet mask. Maybe something I'll try with another mask, if I remember. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes me too @itsfi . Keep us posted please as you experiment! ๐Ÿ’ž

@itsfi wow!!! This one sure does look interesting!!

@lmaster, I'm not sure about the actual acupoints on this mask, but I found the research I did on the pressure points on the face to be very interesting. May have to add some facial pressure point massage exercises to my "to try" list. 

@itsfi  This definitely works for the innovative mask theme! The results certainly sound great and the concept is interesting, though I'd be curious to know if you'd see different results with continued usage - I always get the feeling these types of masks are a bit gimmicky. Sure looks neat though!

@Shosh85, I hear ya - there's certainly a gimmicky bent to the mask. There's also other masks in the line with different pressure thingies (a very scientific term, don't you think?). It's Mediheal so there's a part of me that wonders what the science is behind it. At the very least, I'm putting it on my list of things that might need more experimenting. ๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿ”ฌ๐Ÿ”ฌ

Oh wow what an interesting concept @itsfi !! It can definitely be hard to know if itโ€™s actually doing anything but good to hear it was hydrating at least 

11,515 Replies