Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Lip Discoloration from Old Sunburn!

So here's my situation-When I was 16 on vacation in Cancun I got a pretty gnarly sunburn that resulted in permanent lip discoloration. Fast forward to 11 yrs later- I now have a white patch covering about 1/3rd of my upper lip (and a random freckle that I don't mind so much.)

Anyone experienced anything like this? If so, have you found anything to help remedy the discoloration? I exfoliate and moisturize religiously.

Any suggestions or personal experiences appreciated!

Re: Lip Discoloration from Old Sunburn!

I have experienced a very bad lip sunburn as a child also but not lip discoloration, just a brown/sun spot and extremely dry lips all year long... I go through so many lip balms and lip masks but my lips gets use to it fast... Still I find the best ones from Sephora for me are the fresh sugar lip therapy and the bite agave lip mask... What about you?Sorry I can't help for the discoloration

Thanks for your reply! I have worn the Tangerine medicate...

Thanks for your reply! I have worn the Tangerine medicated EOS with SPF for a couple years and that's the only thing that's helped keep them moisturized.

Hi @emmypaige08, I also have white scars on my lip so I feel your pain. I would second what everyone said below about lip liners being your friend. Tbh I haven't found anything so far that's helped in a dramatic way though I'm still looking. I would say use a lip balm with sunscreen during the day while you're looking for a solution. The last time I asked a dermatologist about it, he recommended that I look into a product by Skinmedica called HA5 Smooth and Plump Lip, but when I looked into it I felt like it was a glorified lip balm that wouldn't do anything for scars. I've also heard some people recommend to use a lip scrub a few times a week and I've tried that. I don't know if it's helped but it certainly hasn't hurt. Some people have said they've used Mederma for lip scars, but I'm not sure it's safe for use on lips so I'd ask a doctor first. I honestly think time has helped my lip scars in particular more than anything-- they're way better now than they were a year, two years ago.

Thanks, blueviolet21! It's great to hear that I'm not the...

Thanks, blueviolet21! It's great to hear that I'm not the only one. That alone makes me feel a lot better. I've been using a lip scrub for a couple years and haven't noticed much of a difference besides a general Improvement in how my lips look over all. I don't wear lipstick very much and I've never worn lipliner, but from the replies to my post it seems that could be a good direction for me to try next. I'm sure I could figure out something that will look natural and be easy to do every day. I do use Mederma for some acne scarring, but like you said I'm not sure if it is safe for lips. Definitely something to look into... Again thanks for your reply and advice!

Re: Thanks, blueviolet21! It's great to hear that I'm not the...

You are definitely not the only one @emmypaige08. Yeah lipliner definitely helps if you feel self conscious. You can find a shade close to your natural lip color, top it with your SPF lip balm, and you're good. Hope there will be a better solution out there eventually!

Anonymous Insider

RE: Lip Discoloration from Old Sunburn!

if you want to wear lipstick, i would get a lip liner that matches your lip color. which if you go to your closet sephora they can help you if you are unsure. but line your lip and the discolored part and make sure it matches your lip color. after you are done with that id then take the color of your lipstick you want and apply it evenly to your lips.

I've been using the Kiehl's Sunscreen! I use it everyday even at night on my skin. I use to suffer with red marks on my face due to not wearing sunscreen everyday underneath my makeup.

emmypaige08 wrote:

So here's my situation-When I was 16 on vacation in Cancun I got a pretty gnarly sunburn that resulted in permanent lip discoloration. Fast forward to 11 yrs later- I now have a white patch covering about 1/3rd of my upper lip (and a random freckle that I don't mind so much.)

Anyone experienced anything like this? If so, have you found anything to help remedy the discoloration? I exfoliate and moisturize religiously.

Any suggestions or personal experiences appreciated!

RE: Lip Discoloration from Old Sunburn!

Visit your local sephora and they can guide you!

Re: RE: Lip Discoloration from Old Sunburn!

I haven't had luck with that route yet...but I'll keep trying!

Sephoraskin2011 wrote:
Visit your local sephora and they can guide you!

i would check with a dermatologist to ensure it isn't a skin cancer. 

RE: Re: Lip Discoloration from Old Sunburn!

Sorry. Didn’t see the previous response 😕

RE: Re: Lip Discoloration from Old Sunburn!

Best advice so far! I’m a nurse and I completely agree. Better to be safe.

Beadshopgirl wrote:

i would check with a dermatologist to ensure it isn't a skin cancer. 

My family is very prone to skin cancer so I did recently have it checked (along with some similar spots on my shoulders) but she just said it was sun damage.

Relieved to hear that @emmypaige08! Maybe try using a lip liner that's close to your natural lip colour to fill in the discoloured patch, then go over with whatever lip product you want to use on top. I really like the Bite Beauty lip pencils; they're Creamy and not drying. 

14 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 10 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
testing