Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

How to properly exfoliate

Hello, lovely people! This Daily Reminders post is all about exfoliation: How do exfoliate, different types of exfoliators, ingredients, products, all that fun stuff! I've missed doing these posts so much! I'm starting my second week at school, so it's hard to find the time to do this. 

Exfoliating your skin helps remove dead skin cells and build up., This helps prevent clogged pores, and makes your skin glow. They also reduce fine lines.

You may use physical exfoliators (scrubs, skincare brushes), or chemical exfoliators (which have exfoliating ingredients and chemicals). Microbeads are sometimes used in exfoliators, but have been banned in some places because they are harmful to the ocean.

Here are some exfoliation ideas based on your skin type:

Sensitive: BHAs are typically less irritating than other chemical/physical exfoliants 

Dry: AHAs such as glycolic acid helps moisturizer hydrate your skin more effectively.

Oily: Often people with oily skin like to use stronger exfoliators.

Combination: Use a combination of exfoliators! You might want to use a scrub on oily areas of your face, but stick to low level AHAs on areas where your skin is dry.

Acne prone: Look for products with retinoids, Salicylic Acid, or glycolic acid.

Those are my recommendations for exfoliating! I hope this helped you, and please let me know if you have any questions! Have a wonderful week ❤️

Proactiv Skin Smoothing Exfoliator The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Exfoliating Peeling Solution 1 oz/ 30 mL Mario Badescu Botanical Exfoliating Scrub 3.4 oz/ 100 mL Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow PHA + BHA Pore-Tight Toner 5.07 oz/ 150 mL Farmacy HONEYMOON GLOW AHA Resurfacing Night Serum with Hydrating Honey + Gentle Flower Acids 

Re: How to properly exfoliate

What do you think of PHA’s?  This is a great guide!

Hi @legzzzy ! I’m so glad you like this! I’m trying to do more of these guides/reminders so it’s nice to know ❤️ PHAs basically don’t penetrate as deep as AHA or BHAs, which makes them a lot less irritating! I’d definitely recommend using products with them because they tend to be more gentle, especially for people with sensitive skin. Salicylic Acid is a super acne fighter and it is a BHA so they are also helpful for people like me who have more oily skin or acne. Let me know if you have any other questions! I’m thinking of posting another guide tomorrow, feel free to drop suggestions or ask me a question. You are amazing, and I hope you have a great rest of your day 💕 

@LilaMJ what are Microbeads made of? You said that it's harmful to oceans.

Hi @rosegoldlovely ! ❤️ Micro beads are made of micro pieces of plastic. When they enter the ocean, they send harmful chemicals and sea animals mistake them for food 😖 

Hi!  I just started using The Ordinary exfoliator, but I've been seeing mixed reviews on how often to use - do you have any advice for an exfoliating newbie? 

Thanks! 

Which TO product, @daniellelaura8? They have a couple different exfoliators. 

In general, if you are new to exfoliating, I would start with twice a week.

Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 10 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing