Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

How necessary is eye cream?

I'm turning 24 this summer and have recently started my journey into the skincare world. My current night-time routine is garier micellar water, cetaphil face wash, some serum I found at marshalls, and cerave moisturizer. Morning routine is cetaphil face wash and cerave moisturizer. I'd like to start slowly introducing more skincare into my routine and was thinking that eye cream would be my next step. Is eye cream really necessary? Should I add something else to my routine first? Skincare is definitely one of the beauty topics I know the least about so any help is much appreciated!!! 

Tags:

Re: How necessary is eye cream?

@JRez I'd be focusing on a high quality AOX/retinol serum before investing on an eye cream. I am 32 yo and have never personally purchased an eye cream (nor have my dermatologist recommended I use something specific to the area.

I've been on prescription retinol since 21yo, but sometimes I alternate it with Sunday Riley A+ High-Dose Retinol Serum 1 oz/ 30 mLor other antioxidant serums.

I shop a lot and accumulated many trial sizes/samples of products, so I do use creams specific for the eye area. If I had to pick one eye cream that I really enjoy using and would probably purchase a full size of it would be Drunk Elephant C-Tango™ Vitamin C Eye Cream 0.5 oz/ 15 mL

If you have under eye puffiness you might benefit from an eye cream though, I heard a famous esthetician saying that the lighter/thinner formulas of eye creams are important if you often experience puffiness in the area. 

I think you should focus your skincare budget on serums (maybe a vitamin C for the morning and maybe a retinol for night time) and a good SPF. SUPERGOOP! - Unseen Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 40is great and works great as a primer too. 

(also Cerave and Neutrogena cleansers are better formulated than the Cetaphil - if you want to keep your cleansers at drugstore price points)

Super necessary. I use the olehenriksen banana eye cream and i love it

@Bassybass I love that one too! It is so brightening! 

Best,
Rebecca

I have purchased and tested many eyecreams over the years and have to say I haven't found any of them to do much, if anything. A good moisturizer and night cream, along with plenty of sleep, lots of water and a healthy diet are crucial, but eye creams just seem to make promises they dont deliver.

I will say that I have never had as many compliments on my skin in fifty years as I have over the last year ... the only change having been made is using Caudalies Beauty Elixir. I see a change for the better but for strangers in the supermarket to actually stop me and ask what I use on my skin is pretty cool! (lol) So if you'd like the advice from an old codger such as myself Id say that for the most part your skin radiates your health (so eat well and be healthy) and give Caudalies Beauty Elixir a shot. It is quite remarkable!! 😄

CAUDALIE - Beauty Elixir

@grizzlymaze I will have to try the CAUDALIE - Beauty Elixir!I have one at home but have not tried it yet!

Best,

Rebecca

@RebeccaBT 

CAUDALIE - Beauty Elixirtruly lives up to its claims. So easy to use, smells like a spa treatment (sort of herbally) and makes the complexion flawless! Enjoy it. 🙂

@JRez eye creme is something ive recently gotten into as well! ive been doing some research and currently am only using an eye cream in the day time. before you start on that, i would definitely recommend adding an SPF into your morning routine. it is SO important, and is more necessary than an eye cream. it looks like youre using a lot of drug store products (many of which i use/love!), and my recommendation is actually an SPF you can find there! i have been using the Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer with SPF 30 on a daily basis for the last two years. it is oil-free and non-comedogenic (wont clog your pores). it also comes in spf 15, but i try not to use anything under 30. its a lightweight moisturizer, so i usually use my regular day moisturizer (which changes depending on the season and what my skin needs) an after that has absorbed, i put some of the SPF on top. it absorbs really well and quickly and works nicely under makeup. it is also fragance free! for the record - i have combo skin (oily tzone, dry cheeks) that is sensitive and (lucky for me) recently on the acne-prone side. i have had no problems with this since i started using it!

Love this conversation. The skin under the eyes is the driest part of the face and shows the first signs of aging. You can usually tell someone's age by looking at their eyes, so I invest in a good eye cream and eye serum to keep my eyes looking young. 

I'm currently obsessed with the DRUNK ELEPHANT - Shaba Complex™ Firming Eye Serum.

<333

@PenelopeBT I have been using the DRUNK ELEPHANT - Shaba Complex™ Firming Eye Serumfor about 4 months now and I am loving it too! 

Best,

Rebecca

I hear so much about DE and want to try it but am afraid that I'll fall in love and my wallet can't handle that! Have you found any dupes for DE? 

@JRez @WinglessOne @RGbrown @RebeccaBT 

I've gone from no undereye cream ever until about 6 months ago.  I have to say my undereye area feels better with a cream (granted I've gone from no moisturizer either to wearing moisturizer about 6 months ago as well).  It also allows my concealer to sit better.  Could this effect happen with a regular moisturizer? Perhaps.  Do I need one?  I guess perhaps I don't?? Now to do some research.

@l8totheparty 

I agree with @RGbrown : try a full face moisturizer and see! 🙂 I looooove my undereye cream, especially since it’s super moisturizing and kinda acts as a primer for concealer. But maybe my YTTP moisturizer can do that, too—or can at least moisturize that area well enough, now that the weather’s warmer. Besides, the sunscreen I use under my eyes also has some primer behavior. I’ll just need to do some trial and error, which I’ve done lots of with skincare in general. 😄 Even with all the research in the world, sometimes the only way to know if something will work for you is to be your own test subject. 

I've been using Clarins eye cream during the day for the last couple weeks, and with it containing dimethicone it does act like a primer for my concealer,  which I quite enjoy.  When I forget it and just have my moisturizer the concealer doesn't seem to sit as nicely. What an expensive primer lol. @WinglessOne 

@l8totheparty  This is where personal preference matters. 🙂 If you like your eye cream’s results/effects (including primer behavior) more than your full face moisturizer’s under your eyes, there’s nothing wrong with continuing your eye cream usage. The only reason I’m dropping my Biossance eye cream (eventually) is my desire to simplify my whole routine—especially for travel purposes—and remove some overlapping products. Otherwise I wouldn’t care what my dermatologist, and the other 3 I’ve asked about this topic, have to say about eye creams. 😂 

Thanks for all your advice!  💜👍🏻😊 

@WinglessOne 

@l8totheparty 

Try using just your moisturizer under your eyes and see how it goes! If your eyes are drier, you may still need to supplement it with either a richer cream, or perhaps an oil, but it really doesn't have to be an "eye" product. Facial skincare will work just as well, and is generally more cost-effective. It's just a matter of finding the right formula for you, but that's the case with anything skincare related 🙂

Thanks for the advice, @RGbrown !  The more you know 🌈

@JRez I agree that you don't need an eye cream per se.  If you want to hedge your bets, though, CeraVe makes a nice eye cream that is easy on the wallet 🙂

@JRez 

A separate eye cream is not necessary...it's just a smaller moisturizer in a more expensive jar 😋 If your CeraVe is working on your eyes currently, there's no need to add something else to your routine. If your eyes are a bit drier than the rest of your face, then perhaps you need something richer, but it still doesn't have to be an "eye cream"...any well formulated facial moisturizer will work just fine 😊

A fun read about it here

Beautifulwithbrains dot com/do-you-really-need-an-eye-cream/

Sunscreen is the single most important anti-aging product on the market. It's the only thing that can actually slow down the aging process...signs of aging are mostly just sun damage. Everything else is all about trying to reverse the damage done.

Any sunscreen you recommend?? I'm nervous to spend a million dollars on a sunscreen that I'm going to fall in love with and use every day! Please help this grad students tiny wallet lol 

Conversation Stats
  • 32 replies
  • 55 Hearts Given
  • 13 Contributors
Photos2
  • Screenshot_20190612-144900.png
  • Screenshot_20190612-144910.png
testing