Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

How much sunscreen should I use on my face?

I’m not entirely sure how much sunscreen I should be using on my face under makeup. I use the super goop unseen sunscreen, and I usually use a dollop that’s the size of a quarter. What’s the ideal amount? 

Re: How much sunscreen should I use on my face?

Hi @callierenee ! Many people don’t apply enough sunscreen to get adequate UV protection. It’s better to over-apply than under-apply. 

When brands test their sunscreens, the FDA requires they use 2 mg of sunscreen per square cm of skin. I’m sure you’re not going to measure the total surface of your face to work out exactly how much you need. (I’m not going to measure mine either. 😂) Some folks use the “1/2 teaspoon for your whole face” rule, which is fine. Others use the “2 whole fingers of sunscreen for your face” rule, which is also fine. A quarter sized dollop might also be fine. It’s hard to give a definitive amount because we don’t all have the same amount of skin on our faces and bodies. 

For my entire face, front & sides of neck, ears, and behind my ears, I line my middle finger with sunscreen and apply that amount as a first layer. Then I line that finger again with sunscreen and apply that amount as a second layer. That way, I’m more likely to use enough and cover all skin. For the back of my neck and my chest (if that skin’s exposed to sunlight), I apply another 1-2 fingers of sunscreen. 

thank you so much for this information! it’s really helpful. I’ll be following this method from now on. 

This!! Always better to over apply. Personally, I find it hard to apply the proper amount with the Unseen Sunscreen - it's too silicone-y for my taste. If you find it is the same for you, you can also layer sunscreens. I do this with tinted sunscreens on makeup-free days. First a base layer of a regular chemical or mineral sunscreen, and then a second layer of the tinted sunscreen (in a smaller amount). This was I can use however much of the "accessory" sunscreen I want without having to worry about coverage. If that much of the Unseen Sunscreen doesn't bother you, carry on!

@superlativeb @callierenee  I sometimes apply a layer of Supergoop! 100% Mineral (Re)setting Powder SPF 35 Translucent or Colorscience Sunforgettable Total Protection Brush-on Shield over a particularly shiny or greasy-feeling sunscreen. This reduces the shine and can act as a light coverage powder foundation for me. But I still usually apply 2 layers of the greasy/shiny/silicone-feel sunscreen beneath the powder, and I wait 15 minutes before brushing on the SPF powder. 

When layering 2 different sunscreens, give the first sunscreen at least 15 minutes to set up its protective film before you apply the second sunscreen. You don't have to do this when applying 2 layers of the same sunscreen because it's all the same product. But 2 separate sunscreens are formulated differently; mixing them can disrupt the first one's ability to form a protective layer. (This is also why I never add color-changing/enhancing drops to any sunscreen.) Plus, if you rub a second sunscreen over the first one before the first one's set up, you might move the first sunscreen around, causing gaps in its layer. Again, not a big deal when applying 2 layers of the same sunscreen because both layers have the same formulation. 

This also applies to setting powder, primer, or makeup over any type of sunscreen. Wait 15 minutes before applying anything over the sunscreen, so you don't create gaps in the protective layer. 

The fda recommendation is a tablespoon amount reapplied every 2 hours. Which I know can be a lot  so put as much as you feel comfortable.

@callierenee @you don’t need a lot. A quarter size of Supergoop should be fine. That’s how much I use on my face. 

Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 11 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing