Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Exfoliate guidance

Hi! I’m new here!! I’m looking for guidance on what to use for my uneven skin texture and acne. I have unevenness on my forehead and chin due to some acne. It’s not severe by any means though. So I’m wondering what products i should use to help. I’m so overwhelmed by peels and physical and chemical exfoliants. Thanks! 

Re: Exfoliate guidance

What skincare products are you currently using, @ammackie? You'll need a moisturizer and sunscreen in place before working in exfoliation. 

I’m not opposed to getting rid of something and/or trying something new. I just have no idea what to mix and what not too mix. 

There aren't really hard and fast rules as to what to mix and not, @ammackie. It's mostly based on your skin and what it can tolerate. For many people, just exfoliating two or three times a week is plenty and very effective. For some, their skin is more sensitive and can only handle exfoliation once a week or less. Some people are able to exfoliate daily and even use multiple exfoliators together. 

Hi @quspork! I currently use Dermalogica SCG, the glow recipe toner, pink drink, ufo, and Luna by sunday Riley. 

I actually have quite a few moisturizers; the biossance gel, dr jart cica gel, drunk elephant Lala, ICE by Sunday Riley and also Honey halo. 
I also have supergoop for my spf. 

Well, it sounds like you already have several exfoliators in your routine already between the GR toner and UFO. Plus Luna operates similarly as an active. To deal with texture, you might consider working in an AHA like lactic or glycolic acid, but be careful about layering too many of those products in one routine, as you don't want to cause irritation.

Hi @ammackie ! I totally understand that introducing any new product to your routine can be overwhelming and stressful. 

Physical Exfoliation is using something like a scrub, washcloth, skincare brush to exfoliate your face. This can be irritating though, especially if you're new to exfoliation.

Peels in my opinion, are not always the most effective way to exfoliate, and they are often stripping to the skin. However, you could try this popular peel from The Ordinary The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Exfoliating Peeling Solution 1 oz/ 30 mL . It has so many reviews on how it's such a miracle for texture and acne, so I'd try it out. It is also super inexpensive.

Chemical Exfoliation is using an exfoliating ingredient/ingredients that you leave on. A great ingredient to look for is Salicylic Acid, which addresses the issues you mentioned. The Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow PHA + BHA Pore-Tight Toner 5.07 oz/ 150 mL is gentle, and has a blend of PHAs and BHAs, which are both gentle exfoliants. 

I'd highly recommend trying those products. I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions! Have an amazing day ❤️

@LilaMJ thank you!! So I actually have both products you mentioned. I use TO peel about once every other week. 
I’ve been been using the glow recipe toner daily now for about 2 weeks. I’m not sure if I’m purging or just still breaking out. 
My maskne is horrendous currently. That and my forehead, I can not seem to get to clear up. Should I add in something like Good genes? The lactic one didn’t work for me so I’m considering trying the glycolic one? 

@ammackie Haha, sorry I recommended products you already have!! That’s funny. I feel like if you’ve been using it for a couple weeks and your still getting a negative reaction, you might be sensitive to an ingredient.

I had a look at the Good Genes product, and it looks like something to more help with fine lines and dullness, but if you’re looking for something to help with breakouts, lactic acid would be a good idea! There’s another really popular The Ordinary product, that has acne fighting ingredients The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum 2 oz/ 60 mL . Niacinimide is an amazing ingredient because it brightens your skin, and helps with breakouts. This is also a really inexpensive product, so I think it would be  worth giving a try. The Ordinary also has a lactic acid product, which I haven’t tried The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% + HA 2% Exfoliating Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL .

Other great ingredients to look for for acne are Salicylic Acid, Sulfur, and Benzoyl Peroxide, which is more intense. So I’d suggest using a product with Salicylic Acid. 
what other products are in your routine? Have a great night, I hope this was helpful! ❤️

@ammackie I just saw that you already mentioned the products in your routine, sorry about that!

Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing