Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Skincare Aware
Highlighted

Dry Skin Patches: Seborrheic Dermatitis

I have oily skin and reoccurring seborrheic dermatitis which comes back about once a year. Very flaky dry patches around my mouth and nose will appear that don't disappear from regular exfoliation and have to be treated topically. They remain dry no matter what skincare item I layer on it (including oils and Vaseline).

I have no idea what triggers it but so far, it seems to be products with Sulfates (especially cleansers). I find that if I use a sulfate-free cleanser it tends to stay away, but I don't know if it's actually true or just all in my head. When it does act up, I use Psoriasin for a week and it vanishes but it still sucks that it happens out of nowhere.

Does anyone else face this issue, and if so, have you find a better way to keep it away? I haven't seen a dermatologist yet because when it does come up, I never have time. So I'm looking to the community to share any tips Smiley Happy thanks

Re: Dry Skin Patches: Seborrheic Dermatitis

Huh, I get oily and flaky when I'm using products that are too drying/rich for my skin or get lazy and don't do skincare twice daily. If you like sulfate-free cleanser, I recommend Boscia Purifying, which cleanses but is very gentle.

The oil and vaseline are great at forming a protective layer over skin to prevent against moisture loss, but have you tried a hydrating serum or something more lightweight/thinner consistency underneath to provide hydration deep down? While you should exfoliate regularly, if it's too harsh or you don't follow up with proper moisturizing products, your skin may continue to remain dry and flaky and rough.

Since it happens yearly, maybe also keep track of when it happens and what you were using/doing? It may be due to the changing of season (lack of humidity, sunburn etc), or specific product.

keeping tabs on when it happens what I use is a great idea. maybe i'll start doing that in a notebook. thanks! Smiley Happy

Have you tried 100% shea butter? Last year for more than 6 months my eyelids had the same issue. It was so bizarre, oils didn't work but as soon as I started using shea butter it cleared right up.

i'll try it out the next time it flares up again, thanks!

Hi! I suffered from this also - only it was on my scalp. It was awful. It ended up being a hormonal issue for me. I recommend seeing the derm. You don't have to see him only when the condition is present (it always happens at your busiest time, right?!). You could snap photos to show the doc when you do find time to go in. I imagine treating the scalp is different than the face - but apple cider vinegar helped tone down the flare ups on my scalp. It has been years since I have had this problem - so I can say from experience that it will go away. You just need to determine the cause (hormones, stress, etc). Good luck my friend!

thanks for the tips! Smiley Happy

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors