Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Double Cleanse — dehydrated & combination

I am determined to finally get a consistent routine going especially now that I fully understand my skin type may be combination but it is also dehydrated (different from just “dry”). My tzone is oily and I get blemishes typically on the jawline (yay 30 year old hormones!) and dry and textured on my cheeks and overall dull! I produce overproduce  oil bc my skin wants more hydration but the typical harsher acne products will strip my skin leaving me with a flaky tight weird dry but oily thing… how am I doing so far?

So in my research I’ve found I need to balance my skin: humectants to draw water to the skin then seal in the moisture with a moisturizer. 

Ingredients to look for: hyaluronic acid, honey, glycerin, aloe Vera, B5, aha (dependent I think) , squaline oil, amino acid, B3, ceramide, lower ph balance

look OUT :  alcohol, surfactants, and like every exfoliant and typical acne product (totally don’t get how to exfoliate so please help here too!)

I’m a big serum and eye cream fan etc but I wanna start to balance with the basics. 

First Cleanse options- Josie Maran Aragan Oil; Biossance squareness & antioxidant cleaning oil… or something different all together ?

Second Cleanse  options - Youth to the people Cleanser ; Farmacy Clean Bee Ultra Gentle FAce Cleanser … or wrong track here?

ive seen a lot of other products that look interesting too and I still need to find the perfect moisturizer to try on my quest so any help to make this decision would be awesome!

Thanks for listening & helping!!

Double Cleanse — dehydrated & combination

i would recommend Farmacy Green Clean as a first cleanse its lovely and never bakes me out! i put it on and put a hot wet towel over my face to steam out the pores and sink in the hydration! I also started using the Bee Clean, its nice as well but i prefer the Green clean and then a acne wash with my foreo machine!

Re: Double Cleanse — dehydrated & combination

Thanks! @peachbunny19 I'm definitely going to try that one next but it might not be for awhile! I've heard good things!  I also haven't been wearing makeup very often.  So far, I'm happy with the Clean Bee Cleanser-- not stripping my skin and drying me out, but I think I like the Fresh Soy Cleanser and Youth to the People better (only used a trial of it so far).  I'm really curious to see what happens in the winter though!

Hi @scarletb, we have similar skin types.  I'm dehydrated combination as well.  My T-zone is generally oily for most the year, exception being the winter months when my nose is probably normal and my forehead and chin can be either normal or dry depending on the elements.  My cheeks tend to be dry year-round, and really dry in the cooler months. 

I think you are on the right track with starting with the basics in building up your skincare routine and putting together a set of products that will work for your skin. For my first cleanse, my favorites have been either Clinique Take the Day Off Balm, which you mentioned in one of your posts, or Tatcha One Step Pure Camellia Oil.

For a second cleanse, the Youth to the People Super Antioxidant Cleanser you mentioned is a nice one - it works for my dehydrated, combo skin but I know others with drier skin who find it drying.  Fresh Soy Face Cleanser is another good one.

Introducing an exfoliant in my skin care routine did wonders for my complexion.  Do you have a preference for a physical exfoliant or a chemical exfoliant?

Thanks @itsfi! I will give my Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm a shot! I just wasn’t sure if it was the right move instead of an oil. I think I am going to try the Youth To The People Superfood Antioxidant cleanser as well.  Fresh Soy Facial Cleanser is actually the only cleanser I’ve tried that I like but I’ve been trying to see if I like anything else of a better value (although this is a similar price oops!) I’ve tried FAB, Origins Checks and Balances, ceraphil among other and all were too drying.

In terms of an exfoliant I prefer chemical exfoliants. In the past I’ve used OLEHENRIKSEN Invigorating Night Transformation and Retinol serums from D Brandt (glow/overnight which as I’m looking up their names seem to have been discontinued.) I only used the retinol mostly on my nose bc I was trying to zap black heads on my nose which I now know are sebaceous filament. I have no idea how to choose AHA/BHA/Retinol that isn’t too harsh. I’d also like to still use my OLEHENRIKSEN Vitamin C Truth Serum somehow in my regimen properly.

Which exfoliants do you use?

I like the Clinique cleansing balm @scarletb - it's worked for me year round, when my skin is more dehydrated and combination and when my skin is more dehydrated dry. I've never tried the oil. Would love to hear you the YTTP cleanser works out for you.

As far as exfoliants go, I rotate among the following chemical exfoliants:

Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta® Extra Strength Daily Peel Pads 30 Treatments + 5 Bonus

Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Sukari Babyfacial™ AHA + BHA Mask 1.69 oz/ 50 mL

BLITHE - Energy Yellow Citrus & Honey Splash Mask

NEOGEN DERMALOGY - Bio-Peel Gauze Peeling - Lemon

The first chemical exfoliant I used was the FIRST AID BEAUTY - Facial Radiance Pads- these were gentle on my skin, which I really appreciated when I first started using chemical exfoliants. They were gentle enough that I was able to move to using them on a daily or every other day basis fairly quickly and my skin looked great!

Thanks @itsfi! I’ve been using Farmacy Clean Bee Ultra Gentle Face Cleanser everynight (almost!) for the past few weeks and I’ve really enjoyed it and noticed a difference in my excess oil production. My hormonal acne has been pretty much nonexistent. However I’m really excited about the YTP cleanser I’ve used a few times and already can tell I will love it. I will keep you updated! I haven’t had the need for a double cleanse actually because I’ve been wearing very little or no makeup lately. That should change soon though. 

You’ve definitely made my decision about the exfoliant pads… I’ve been eyeing the  Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Peels  but haven’t wanted to spend that quite yet and though the FAB Radiance Pads might be a good starter.  So I will start there and maybe move up later. My moisturizer has been a light Mario Badescu in the morning and  Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Lightweight Face Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid 2 oz / 59 m... which came in a package with the cleanser. 

Do you use the pads right after cleansing and use an essence, toner, or serum after your exfoliant? Or do I just go straight to the moisturizer? I’m guessing that im going to start drying out soon since fall is creeping up quickly in the Midwest!

@scarletb, here's what my routines generally look like, but you should do what works best for your skin.

PM

1. Remove eye makeup and breakdown makeup and sunblock with either micellar water and cotton rounds or cleansing towelettes
  2. Oil based cleanser - I like to use my cleansers in conjunction with a washcloth but I know some prefer just rinse the cleanser off with water
  3. Water based cleanser and then from here on, you generally want to go from your lightest product to your heaviest. 
  4. Exfoliating pads - on the days I use 'em, they go here.
  5. Essence or toner - I like to use the 7-skin method: patting in 7 thin layers of essence onto skin. It doesn't always happen that I do 7 layers, sometimes it's 3 or 5, or even 1 depending on how much hydration my skin needs and also how much time I have / how tired I am
  6. Serum - in the summer months, I can often skip the serum step but it's a must for me other times in the year, especially the winter months
  7. Sheet mask  (optional)
  8. Eye cream
  9. Lip scrub
  10. Moisturizer
  11. Sleeping mask
  12. Lip balm or lip sleeping mask

It looks like a lot but it goes pretty quickly once you get used to the steps. The first time I tried this out, it seemed like it took forever.

AM

1. Rinse face with lukewarm water and washcloth (or some days, I may use a physical exfoliator)
  2. Essence or toner
  3. Serum
  4. Eye Cream
  5. Moisturizer
  6. Sunblock

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 14 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing