Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Combo Skin - Redness/Scarring/Acne *NEWBIE*

Hi there! I'm new to the skin care world and for the past year my skin has completely changed. I get under-the-skin acne mostly on my cheeks [a few at a time]. My skin has also become very red and easily irritated. I have accumulated quite a bit of acne scarring this year unfortunately and am desperate to get rid of it! But with that - I would like to recreate the even skin tone I once had while also minimizing my pores and preventing acne. So far I've been using a plant sponge to exfoliate and cleanse. First I wash my face with dove soap - then I use natural baby shampoo to help with redness and firming my skin. I actually love using the baby shampoo - I was skeptical at first but it feels great and has helped with my acne and discolouration. For my acne specifically i use atmospheres tea tree cleanser - after that I moisturize and apply tea tree oil directly to acne. I've found that if anything the baby shampoo has made the biggest difference for my skin but it still isn't enough! Any suggestions? I love using masks too but I'm not sure if they're doing anything for my skin. I usually purchase the $8 sephora ones. Thank you! Xx

Hi! If your skin is starting to get redder, I think it's...

Hi! If your skin is starting to get redder, I think it's time to look at what your skin isn't liking in your current routing. First the Dove. I don't know of any Dove soaps that aren't crazy harsh on skin... You reeeeeally need to find a PH balanced one. Neutrogena has some or Yes To Cucumbers milk cleanser. Next... tea tree oil is pretty irritating for most skins. There are absolutely better acne face washes out there!!! Person below mentions some. The Sephora masks are for hydration. It sounds like you need something more like REN Evercalm Rescue Mask to soothe and restore your skin barrier. Get a sample from Sephora!

RE: Combo Skin - Redness/Scarring/Acne *NEWBIE*

I recommend either the Ole Henriksen Find Your Balance Oil Control cleanser which while help control the oily parts of your skin but also won't strip the skin of essential oils because of calming ingredients such as aloe and eucaliptos in it. These ingredients will also help soothe any current breakouts you may be experiencing. Or, I would suggest the First Aid Beauty Skin Rescue Deep Cleanser with Red Clay which will draw out impurities but is designed for sensitive skin so it will never cause any sort of discomfort. To wash your face I highly recommend amping up your skin care by pairing these cleansers with a Foreo. Personally, I use the Foreo Luna Mini and it has done wonders for my skin instead of using my hands. It is more sanitary then a clarisonic because it does not hoard bacteria like the brush heads do. Also every few months or so you need to repurchase a brush head which can become costly, but with the Luna it is a one time buy that will make your wallet happy! The charge also lasts about a year, while the charge on a Clarisonic lasts about 20 minutes depending on the model you have. Next, for your skin type and concerns I would purchase the Ole Henriksen Three Little Wonders set which includes a day and night serum and a moisturizer. The Truth Serum is a cult favourite at Sephora and will MOST DEFINITELY reduce or diminish any acne scaring you may have. I experienced scars all over my chin and forehead and not one scar remains from using this set. The vitamin C will brighten, lighten and tighten your skin creating an even complexion and reduced redness. Follow up with the sheer transformation moisturizer which has liquorice root in it to help reduce any pigmentation and even out the skin tone as well. Lastly, the night serum: the invigorating night gel has AHA's that gently exfoliate the skin creating a smoother complexion for the morning. It will tingle for about 10 seconds when you first apply it, but this is good.. it means it's working! Follow up with the oil free sheer transformation moisturizer afterwards and you will begin to see results in your skin care! I know this was an overload of info but I highly recommend beginning with this, and once you and your skin become more comfortable testing out new skin scare products you can advance your routine or switch out products as you wish. Good luck!

Thank you so much. I was interested in these products before as my friend had recommended them but wasn't sure because of the price tag for all of them. Before i posted this I ordered the Tarte Scrub Clean Cleansing Kit as the price and reviews looked good. That being said I do have sensitive skin so I'm worried about how it will interact with my skin. I haven't used it yet. Should i return it or use it and purchase olehenriksen and the mini Luna in a few months? I'm starting college so I want to buy my skin care products now as I probably won't be able to afford anything within the next few months. Thanks again x

Sephora has an amazing return policy, so you could definitely use the Tarte products and if they aren't working for you, you've got 30 days for a full refund or exchange. After 30 days it would just be a store credit/exchange. Since you already have the Tarte products I would try them ( I have never used these specific ones so I cannot speak to them ) but if they don't work definitely exchange for the ole products and foreo, you won't be disappointed! Good luck 🙂

Step 1. Buy a Clairisonic. I've had acne prone skin my wh...

Step 1. Buy a Clairisonic. I've had acne prone skin my whole life and didn't realize until my early 40's that I wasn't spending enough time washing my skin. Any model Clairisonic will do a brilliant job keeping your skin clean and clear. Worth every penny in my opinion. Don't use dove. It's ok for your body but for your face, not so much. You need an extremely gentle and simple cleanser. Try Cetaphil or CeraVe also since you mentioned redness it's possible you have rosacea in which case try Eucerin redness relief. Use only lukewarm water. Make sure to keep anything that touches your face extra clean. Towels, pillow cases, brushes. Buy products with salicylic acid and sulphur. If you have sensitive skin avoid products with silicone and benzoyl peroxide. You can only fix the scars at home if they are new scars. Try a scar sheet or BioOil. Older scars can only be removed by a plastic surgeon. Good luck!
5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing