Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Chemical Exfoliants

Hi everyone I’m looking to find new chemical exfoliants in my skin routine. I’ve been using Sephora Collection glow peel pads with Glycolic Acid. Though I feel like my skin is getting use to them and could use something different. So does anyone have holy grail products they would recommend?

RE: Chemical Exfoliants

My favourite chemical exfoliant is Paulas Choice 8% aha gel. It uses glycolic acid and I find works better than peel pads but is still gently enough to use daily as I also hydrates. Another good one is The ordinarys Lactoc acid 10% which you can also you daily. Weekly I like to use First Aid beauty’s facial radiance aha intensive peel!

Re: Chemical Exfoliants

Hi @fancylady007,

If you're looking for a gentle, everyday chemical exfoliant I recommend the AMOREPACIFIC - Treatment Enzyme Peel Cleansing Powder. It has papaya enzymes to gently slough off dead skin cells.

@fancylady007, I rotate the following chemical exfoliants in my skincare routine. My skin type is dehydrated-combination for most of the year, but in late fall and winter, it's dehydrated-dry and these have been good to my skin:

FIRST AID BEAUTY - Facial Radiance Pads - gentle enough so that I can use it daily if I wanted to. I have in the past or if I've been away from chemical exfoliants, I often come back to these first and then slowly incorporate stronger formulae into my skincare routine.

I'll use one of these every week or every other week depending on how my skin is doing and what other exfoliants I may be using:

Kate Somerville Liquid ExfoliKate® Triple Acid Resurfacing Treatment 4 oz/ 120 mL

Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta® Extra Strength Daily Peel Pads 30 Treatments + 5 Bonus

Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Sukari Babyfacial™ AHA + BHA Mask 1.69 oz/ 50 mL - one of my favorite exfoliants.

@fancylady007  When you say your skin’s getting used to the Sephora peel pads, do you mean your skin now tolerates them (no burning or tingling) better? Or do you mean the pads don’t seem to be as effective anymore (your complexion’s dull, for instance)? I don’t know the % of AHA in those pads, but I assume they’re about as gentle as FIRST AID BEAUTY - Facial Radiance Pads. I could be wrong about that. If the Sephora pads are still effective and don’t irritate your skin at all, you might not need a stronger AHA exfoliant. 

But if you want to try something new: I use FIRST AID BEAUTY - FAB Skin Lab Resurfacing Liquid 10% AHA and/or Paula’s Choice Clear Anti-Redness Exfoliation Solution (regular strength, 2% BHA) 1-3 times a week. They both contain enough soothing ingredients to offset any AHA/BHA irritation. I used to use them 4-5 times a week which is honestly too frequent, especially since I also use retinol every other night. Some nights I layer them atop each other. Other nights, I’ll layer one with my retinol. 

I’ve been wanting to try The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Exfoliating Peeling Solution 1 oz/ 30 mL for months, so I bought a bottle a few weeks ago. I haven’t used it yet because 30% AHA kinda scares me 😄 and I don’t recommend jumping straight to something that strong from a much gentler exfoliant. This is a product I’d use only once a week.

Paula’s Choice makes an 8% AHA gel. I have a couple of deluxe samples but never used them, so I can’t personally comment on this product. But I know a few folks who use and love it. 

RE: Re: Chemical Exfoliants

Yeah I feel like they’re not that affective anymore and I know they’re very gentle on the skin which is what I wanted to start out with but I feel I can go with something just like that and/ or something a little more stronger but not that high in percentage. If that makes sense

Re: RE: Re: Chemical Exfoliants

@fancylady007  I hear ya. I started with the FAB Facial Radiance Pads because they’re so gentle, and I always recommend them to folks just starting out with AHA exfoliation. I still have some of those pads and use them when my skin’s too irritated for my usual AHA serum but still needs exfoliating. I also keep a DS pack to use as a toner/exfoliation combo during travel. You might wanna keep some of the Sephora pads on hand for similar reasons, in addition to moving up to a stronger exfoliant. 

Whichever new AHA you choose, I hope it works well for you! Obligatory reminder: always wear sunscreen during the day since AHAs increase skin’s sun sensitivity! 🙂 

Re: RE: Re: Chemical Exfoliants

@fancylady007 I agree with the Paula's Choice rec for AHAs.  They have a variety of concentrations.  I started with a sample of the 5% and liked it so much I bought the 8% which I love.  Alpha Skin Care also has a variety of AHA concentrations.  I get mine at Dermstore.  Good luck!  🙂

dermae's radiance toner + overnight peel

@fancylady007maybe try adding in a lactic acid or a combo AHA/BHA product? The inkey list or the ordinary (i forget which) has a lactic acid treatment

Otherwise, depending on what you're using the exfoliant for, adding a vitamin C serum may be better than more AHAs for brightening the skin, cell turnover, etc.

9 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 20 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
testing