Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Acne help!

Hey everybody!  I have suffered from severe acne for years now.  I have tried different products but I haven't found anything that really works well.  I have blackheads and acne scars as well.  Any tips for products or treatments that have worked and that won't cost me too much money?  Also, any foundations that will help cover acne and keep coverage?  Thanks so much!!!

Tags:

Re: Acne help!

@ash625 If you've been struggling for years, I rec seeing a derm.  Ask for an Rx for Differin, or see if you are a candidate for Retin-A.

In the meantime, use a liquid cleanser that is gentle, like FAB Face Cleanser.  Next, use a BHA product; I only rec Paula's Choice.  Spot treat with Persa-gel.  Differin is available OTC in the lower concentration.  Also, oil blotting sheets can help when used routinely.

Best of luck!  🙂

RE: Acne help!

I have found that using less products for treating acne and more products to moisturize have made a world of difference for my acne. I’m 30 with dry/combination skin and have had persistent acne my entire life - until now. What works for me: 1. Removing make up with Neutrogena wipes, and rinsing face with water. I currently don’t use a cleanser because those have been too stripping. 2. Niacinamide serum has done wonders for reducing redness, pores, and acne. My skin has improved to the point where I almost don’t feel the need to wear foundation. I use The Ordinary serum which is super affordable. 3. Hyaluronic Acid serums or gels are great for moisturizing without being greasy. I have liked Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench or The Ordinary serum. If my face still feels/looks dry, I will use a moisturizing cream at night and pretty much any brand will do. 4. I exfoliate every other day or at least once a week depending on how my skin looks/feels. I have liked Kate Somerville exfoliKate or Dr. Dennis Gross Peel Pads. The occasional charcoal mask (Boscia) is also nice for cleaning out and reducing pores and oil production, but make sure it is something that won’t dry your skin out too much. 5. I avoid primers and foundations with silicone or dimethicone, those ingredients are guaranteed to cause me painful breakouts. Natural brands like Tarte have been good for foundation and I really love Ren Perfect Canvas for a primer. Everyone’s skin is different but hopefully some of this is helpful to you!

What's your skin type, @ash625? And do you have a current routine?

If you wear make-up, I'd highly recommend double cleansing at night with an oil-based cleanser to start and then a cream cleanser afterwards. Then, to help with the acne you can use a serum with salicylic acid followed by moisturizer. 

To help with the scarring, I'd suggest looking at vitamin C serums for use in the mornings, along with a good sunscreen. 

I have combination skin.  It can be very oily at times but when I start to use more acne products it will get very dry.  I wash my face everyday twice with a clean and clear face wash and at night I use the clean and clear spot treatment cream.   I am currently wearing foundation daily to try and cover up my acne but I would love to stop using it!

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing