Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Savvy Shoppers
|

Select - 2 - Free Samples? (Online US)

Has Sephora changed their online sample policy from 3 samples per order to 2 samples per order permanently? 

5BF3FA35-6771-4CA6-8CD7-D85E9F39A7E7.jpeg

As of today (10/24/2018) I was getting an error when I placed more than 2 samples in my cart despite the site saying I could add 3.

Now, a few hours after placing my order, I see the text at checkout has changed. 

Tags:

Re: Select - 2 - Free Samples? (Online US)

I know that I've decided to purchase a full-size product because I loved the sample. I wonder if the manufacturers of the products know that their samples are being limited, perhaps missing people who would really like to try their product. And wouldn't it cut down on returned items? 

It's confusing because in their fine print it still mentions "three" free samples.Snapchat-1398617741.jpg

I called yesterday when I went to check out and it only offered 2 samples.  The girl I spoke w/ said Sephora didn't even inform their cust serv reps of this happening and she was shocked....she said she was looking forward to many angry customers, esp doing this right b4 the 20% off sale and right before the holidays.  I think it sucks.

If this means higher possibility that we get the ones we choose - then this is fine with me!  Sometimes there are only 2 that I really want so I’m staying positive about this.  The 3 samples didn’t do much good as out of many orders, only a few times did I actually get what I wanted.  I’m not sure I ever got all 3 that I picked!

RE: Select - 2 - Free Samples? (Online US)

Maybe it’s just for the sale? Although i would t be surprised if they downgrade the sample option. Maybe people abuse it and hoard or sell them or make multiple orders just to get good samples which is a shame. I noticed this year that Saks started requiring a $25 purchase to get samples so at least they aren’t doing that...yet 😕

Definitely disappointing.  I feel like a common complaint from a lot of people is that they never even receive the samples that they've requested in the first place

Yes. I was plotting my order for next week and saw that it was two samples and not three; I immediately thought, "Great, now they can not send me two samples instead of not sending me three." Although, I did get my samples for the first time in a year even though they were not what I wanted. Meh. Has the in-store policy changed?

@GalPalFriday I was planning my holiday cart and I saw the change to sample options and I was so confused! I thought I was going bonkers! I am really disappointed that this change occurred right before the sale, not cool 😤

I noticed this yesterday also.

I don't have any insider knowledge, this is just my opinion:  Sephora is a business.  Nothing in life is free; somebody pays for "free" things, somehow.

If cutting samples to two per order instead of three is a way that Sephora can meet their financial goals and offer more sale days instead, I'm all for it.  In Sephora's history, having two 20% off sales in a month or so is unheard of, and very welcome to me.

I agree it was jarring to see that, and I was offended at first, but most of the time I only really want two samples anyway.  And, you don't have to place a specific order amount to  get them.

Now, if that changes, then I'll be upset. 🙂

If you're saying that the "two separate weekends in the same month" sale is unprecedented, it isn't. Pretty sure it's been done 2-4 times a year for the past several years. 

@Ispend2much6 wrote:

In Sephora's history, having two 20% off sales in a month or so is unheard of, and very welcome to me.

For what it’s worth- I’m not complaining about being limited to 2 samples. I agree with other Insiders that if it means I get the samples I actually select more often I could be totally fine with it.

i made the thread to confirm I wasn’t the only one with issues adding 3 to my cart and to

ask for clarification from Sephora as to whether or not this is a permanent change.

change happens, I just wish it was communicated. I get SO MUCH spam email from Sephora you’d figure an actual change in service would be communicated. 😛

@Ispend2much6 I do wonder what other changes might be coming - I'm nervous!  When I saw the recent $50 GWP I thought it was great -- until I looked on the flip side and wondered if Sephora will decrease the $25 and $35 GWP.

@greeneyedgirl107  Was that a $50 promo with code?  I think I missed that, whatever it is. I can't recall it right now.

@greeneyedgirl107  Oh, that one.  I didn't pay attention to it because I wasn't interested.  Thanks for sharing.  It does make you wonder what other changes are ahead.

This last order was my first order in awhile where I actually got three samples, and the ones I asked for no doubt. All my orders before I would either get nothing at all, not even anything to substitute, or maybe one thing that I didn't even ask for or want. If anything, I'm kinda happy about this because I feel like people will have a better chance of getting their samples and getting what they ask for. But only time will tell!

RE: Re: Select - 2 - Free Samples? (Online US)

I hope you are right. I’ve received samples in ONE order this year, despite the packing slip saying they should be in the box. It’s not really that I’m all that concerned about the samples themselves. It’s that for years Sephora has promised a certain level of service and always delivered. . . until recently.

Very disappointing, I order mostly online as I have no sephora close by so this is the only way of getting samples to try. I might just make the switch to Shoppers Drugmart as they still offer the 3 samples and the added bonus of their points system that converts to a dollar amount and not a bazaar where everything is out of stock in seconds.

RE: Re: Select - 2 - Free Samples? (Online US)

I agree! I think most people work and don’t have time to stalk the bazaar at noon every Tuesday and Thursday.

This is very disappointing. I love samples and make many full sized purchased based on them. I hope they reconsider this change. As for if this is becoming industry standard, I’m not sure, but Shoppers Drug Mart still offers three samples for Canadians online. 

@Lucki1 Nordstrom still offers 3 free samples with beauty purchases.  I have to say that Sephora has disappointed me this year.  First, I was very upset to learn of the 60-day return policy.  Next, it was that flash-shipping rose in cost 50% from $10 to $15.  Now comes the reduction in samples.

I know that BI has some nice new components, but the ones that mattered the most to me personally have been done away with.  

I e-mailed CS, and here's what they said:

"I know that samples are a wonderful addition to any order, and I’m sorry the number of samples you can select is limited at this time to two.

I appreciate you sharing your experience and I'm happy to pass on your feedback to our Team for review. We always love hearing from our clients and most importantly, learning from your experiences. 

We appreciate your being a loyal Sephora client[...]"

While their answer states "at this time," it also didn't explicitly state that this was only temporary.  I have a feeling that this is permanent.  I think that as Sephora has increased its benefits/perks in some areas, it has reduced them in others.

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos4
  • 5BF3FA35-6771-4CA6-8CD7-D85E9F39A7E7.jpeg
  • Screenshot_20181025-114410_Sephora.jpg
  • Screenshot_20181025-114353_Sephora.jpg
  • Snapchat-1398617741.jpg
testing