Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Savvy Shoppers
|

Select - 2 - Free Samples? (Online US)

Has Sephora changed their online sample policy from 3 samples per order to 2 samples per order permanently? 

5BF3FA35-6771-4CA6-8CD7-D85E9F39A7E7.jpeg

As of today (10/24/2018) I was getting an error when I placed more than 2 samples in my cart despite the site saying I could add 3.

Now, a few hours after placing my order, I see the text at checkout has changed. 

Tags:

Select - 2 - Free Samples? (Online US)

Its laughable they even let you choose anyway. I've gotten what I've picked all of 2 times and I'm rouge (doing 90% of my shopping online) several years running. It feels like they want you to spend points or use codes to get the good samples. That's and all good if you live near a Sephora where you can get free samples, but for those of us far away, it's not a advantagous set up, not for the $$$ spent. If samples are what encourage you to shop: Nordstrom, ulta, and others are much more generous with points, gwp and samples.

Re: Select - 2 - Free Samples? (Online US)

@GalPalFriday wrote:

Has Sephora changed their online sample policy from 3 samples per order to 2 samples per order permanently? 

5BF3FA35-6771-4CA6-8CD7-D85E9F39A7E7.jpeg

As of today (10/24/2018) I was getting an error when I placed more than 2 samples in my cart despite the site saying I could add 3.

Now, a few hours after placing my order, I see the text at checkout has changed. 

BRING BACK THE 3 SAMPLES!!! This is such a globalist, pro-shareholder, greedy, cheap, awful, corporate thing to do. 

@sephora - Tell your executives that while they smile and rub their hands together scraping pennies, raising the price on two-day shipping and subtracting samples we are watching. 

Anonymous Insider

And might I add the  samples aren't that great anymore either.  Ulta has stepped up their game while sephora has demoted themselves.  Don't tell me they're not doing well enough to provide what we've all been used to getting.  I have to online order most everything I purchase because the stores here don't carry what I want.  So disappointing,  I find myself inside ULTA more and more. Even the play box is less exciting these days.  

Yesss! I don’t know what’s going on with Sephora... The Rewards points are disappointing now too! Not only there are less items to chose from but the items themselves are just not appealing. 

I was a little disappointed to see the limit of free samples down to 2. I liked the opportunity to try different products before I buy them and 3 seemed like a way to get a good mix of different products. We could certainly buy many of the products from Sephora at other sites without the free sample option but I like the little perks that comes with VIBRouge. While the number of free samples won’t dissuade me from continuing to order from Sephora, I will be keeping my eye out for other changes.  Should the quality, price, customer service  or availability of my go-to products change then I would look elsewhere for my beauty products.

I myself have never had an issue getting the samples I requested and I have lived in Kentucky, Hawaii and California. Overall, I’m still pleased with the products I receive from Sephora. 

RE: Select - 2 - Free Samples? (Online US)

Ughh AND I hate that they have you “select” your samples and then send you something totally different! I am starting to question my life choices and loyalty to Sephora. 😭

Re: RE: Select - 2 - Free Samples? (Online US)

I wonder if it's a Canada vs. US thing, but I always get the specific samples I choose. (I'm in Canada)

Unfortunately i think a lot of us are right there with you @KylieDunkley! I received my second order and this time it was 0 for 2 in the correct sample department. I don't place orders specifically for the samples, but getting samples for products I have no interest in rather than the ones that might get me to buy the full size. It's just poor business on Sephora's side, especially when they can read all of these posts and are aware of the errors their warehouses are making.

It's just the fact that Sephora refuses to fix chronic website technical issues but can make it so that we can only now pick two samples with every order overnight that's perplexing to me. My other issue, which has been stated by others, is that the majority of the time the orders never come with the sample that was selected. Combining this with drastic return policy changes, spikes in buy-in's to use promo codes, and spike in the price for faster shipping are all very bizarre business moves. Every year there's less and less incentive to stay VIB rouge, but this year takes the cake. 

Spoiler

What’s the new change to the return policy?!

wow! nicely stated. I couldn't agree more.

wow! nicely stated. I couldn't agree more.

Dang yall miss nothing. On top of this, there have been fewer promos in general. And when they are for luxury items, the buy-in is steep. On one hand its just one less foil, but then why the heck can’t we even get 3 foil packets?! It feels extremely cheap, especially after all of the other good changes they've made this year. 

RE: Select - 2 - Free Samples? (Online US)

Yep! They knocked it down to 2! They’ve been making Ulta lots of money with all their new customers! Ha

Its funny you say this. I found out a few days ago that Ulta is actually in the middle of 2 seperate class action lawsuits for repackaging and reselling used makeup that people returned at full price. Consumers believed they we're purchasing unopened merchandise and they were not. Imagine buying a 30$ mascara or lipstick and you find out it was already used AND the people that sold it to you KNEW it was used... Eww.. totally unfair! Major health code violation, as well as decption and fraud. If they lose even one of those lawsuits I feel like Sephora will be the one to steal Ulta's business. Even if Ulta stopped the malpractice, who wants to support a company that deliberately deceived their customers for years? After being a diamond credit card holder, not me! But the 2 sample thing is pretty annoying! Now that I stopped shopping at Ulta, I wanna shop at Sephora more often, but they're so expensive and the rewards really aren't that good 😥

I'm actually having this problem with Sephora right now...there is no way that my last item was not opened and used before they sent it to me, I have seen the product in new condition and this was not it. It's beyond disappointing and unhygienic. A Sephora representative is "looking into it" and claims that it would be impossible for Sephora to resell a returned item, but it looks like they are doing just that and are trying to cover it up.

Really bummed about the downgrade on the samples and most of them are perfume/cologne now anyways.  I get they are "expensive" but if the products are GOOD, I have bought full size versions... I see it's a race to the bottom across retail and Sephora isn't immune.  😠

And the cuts begin.  Never mind that I never get the samples I've chosen, just junk I don't want.  Lowering customer services again.  I won't be surprised when they phase out samples completely.

Reducing the amount of free items is doable. Of course, I liked the 3 options better...

The only thing I don't like is that I don't always get the correct freebie I pick. Another order received today with the wrong freebie. I really wanted to try the Tatcha water cream because I've been curious about it so I was actually excited to get that freebie but it wasn't in my package 😞  The thing about the freebies, which I assume is the point of offering them, is so we can try out different products and possibly purchase them.

Oh well, guess another item on my list to ask for in store to sample.

I got my order today and was so excited. However, I was disappointed to find that the 2 samples I picked (both perfume) were not in the box. I know, I know, they're free so I shouldn't complain but still....it was two I've been dying to try. Viktor & Rolf Flower Bomb and Lancome La Vie Est Belle. Le sigh.....

Hi all, 

We appreciate your feedback regarding samples and apologize for the inconvenience caused. I'm very sorry that we do not have additional updates at this time. 

Hi @listob95,

I'm sorry to hear that your samples were missing and I'll send you a private message to help shortly.

Best regards,

Laurie

83 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos4
  • 5BF3FA35-6771-4CA6-8CD7-D85E9F39A7E7.jpeg
  • Screenshot_20181025-114410_Sephora.jpg
  • Screenshot_20181025-114353_Sephora.jpg
  • Snapchat-1398617741.jpg
testing