Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oily Skin
|

Setting Powder Help

My skin gets suuuuuper oily over the course of the day, so I absolutely need a setting powder so I don't end up looking like an oil slick.  The only problem seems to be that most setting powders seem to end up looking cakey or separated on me by the end of the day, no matter how little I use, how I put it on, or how much I blot during the day.  It's almost like my oil manages to break down the powder and make it cake and I'm constantly worrying about it in the afternoon.  The only setting powder that hasn't really done this to be has been the drugstore Covergirl Clean one, but it hardly keeps me matte.  I'd like to know any suggestions anyone here may have on setting powders that mattify and really last throughout the day without caking, but don't look unnatural or chalky white on the face.

RE: Setting Powder Help

I like the new too face ethereal setting powder

Re: Setting Powder Help

hey @BeautyInPink23, I used to use the LM translucent setting powder until i noticed the FLASHBACK and i was horrified! I switched to Sacha Buttercup Yellow setting powder(for Summer when i am more tan/golden) and have been LOVING the too faces mattying setting powder for winter months. It is super finely milled and smells sooo good! 

Do you have any trouble with glitter or sparkle in the Too Faced?  I'd been really wanting to try it out, but read some reviews about some sparkle in it being pretty noticeable.  I know you should take most reviews with a grain of salt since everybody's different, but it just makes me a bit nervous since I'm heading on vacation next week and won't have as much time to return if I end up not liking it.

I was worried about that too since I prefer a super matte look. I haven't noticed any glitter specs at all. It's weird and I wanna believe that the ones that noticed those had something wrong with the product. Do you use the setting powder to bake? Or just to set? I ask because I use tons of setting spray to keep me super matte 

I used to be an avid LM powder user until I noticed my nose area getting oily too fast. I've switched to RMS tinted un-powder and Cover FX which work great! Perhaps try something that's not talc based?

You can also try putting some loose powder underneath your foundation, and then a light dusting of setting powder it over top.  I really like Maybelline shine free loose powder, or their loose finishing powder.  I also like loreal true match setting powders.  They are pressed, but very fine, so not chalky.  They come in a wide range of colors. Also try using a matte setting spray.  Apply some spray to a sponge, and lightly press the spray onto the skin, instead of just spritzing your face.

I've heard about spraying your sponge and then setting, but never tried it.  I use Urban Decay All Nighter, I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Have you tried using a setting spray after powder?

Also which primer are you using? Perhaps there is something else going on that's adding to the break down of the foundation besides your natural oils.

I've been using the NYX Angel Veil for a primer and I use Urban Decay All Nighter as a finishing spray.  It could be the primer, I'm just not positive, I have a couple other sample primers that I could dabble in on longer days and see if that makes any difference.

Yeah, it's worth a shot trying a different primer. Especially if you have any mattifying primers although those tend to be higher up in price.

I was really disappointed because I've seen/heard so many people rave about the new Too Faced Peach powder and I tried it but it didn't work any magic for me.  I want to try it over a different foundation and concealer to see if I have better luck; you might try it out, though, because it sounds like a lot of people really love it.

I've been thinking about trying it, heard a lot of rave reviews, but then I keep seeing some reviews on how it has glitter/sparkle flecks in it, and it puts me off.  I tried a powder similar to that once and didn't really like it.  I think it's meant to make your skin more natural and glowy, but it just makes me look like Edward from Twilight XD.

I have the exact same problem- Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder is PERFECT! I use it every day and it lasts hours, it's my most important product.

@BeautyInPink23 I love using Urban Decay's Velvetizer powder for touch ups during the day. It is super finely milled so it doesn't cake up and helps with oil control. For a compact blotting powder, I use Kat Von D's blotting powder to help with shine and that, too, doesn't cake up my face. I'll link both down below so you can take a look.

https://www.sephora.com/product/lock-it-blotting-powder-P418800?skuId=1914472&icid2=products%20grid:...

https://www.sephora.com/product/the-velvetizer-translucent-mix-in-medium-P420634?skuId=1959832&icid2...

Conversation Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing