Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oh, Canada!
|

Sephora x Mario x Philosophy Live Event Thread!

Hello everyone (even all you non-Canadians!),

@Guessgal and myself were lucky enough to score invites to the Mario Dedivanovic and Philosophy skincare and makeup event in Toronto tomorrow. The class will focus on skincare prep and makeup application with (hopefully 🤞🏽) lots of tips and tricks along the way. We promise to take lots of pictures and notes to share the experience (in real time if possible). I'm not a KUWTK follower, but love learning about new techniques and trends from professionals, so super exited that this is my first experience at a Sephora event! 

I'm hoping there will be time for some questions, and was wondering if there is anything any of you would like to ask him? Preferably no Kim questions, but let me know and I'll try to ask him!!

Thanks @SephoraBIC and @BrendaBT for hooking us up with passes!

Re: Sephora x Mario x Philosophy Live Event Thread!

How awesome, @Guessgal! I'm glad you had fun!

@Guessgal I love your photos! I didn’t recognize the woman from Glam Masters. That’s cool he used her as his model. She was very sweet and humble on the show. She actually stood out to me as one of the few contestants I remember. Thanks for updating us all on the event!

Thanks @starsandbucks! Haha yes he joked about how she gets to judge his makeup now, while before he was judging hers on the show 😛

We didn't time this but seem to have posted at the exact same time @Guessgal!! 

@Aaliaa  haha wow you're right! I was just looking over my notes to see what else stood out to me too!

Hey Guys, so yesterday I got the chance to attend an exclusive attend by Sephora and Philosophy featuring a mini makeup masterclass by Makeup by Mario. The event was hosted by a Quebec based TV personality (sorry I didn’t get her name) and the model was a finalist from his TV show Glam Masters Julia Danta. Instead of hundreds of attendees there were only about 50, making it quite ‘intimate’ so you could really see what he was doing (unless you were suck behind the cameramen) and they also had screens to see in more detail. There was meant to be a Q&A in the end, but since it started late I think he had o skip it, but we got to ask a few questions while he worked his magic.

Our own little personal red carpet entrance with Sephora Cast MembersOur own little personal red carpet entrance with Sephora Cast Members

The Lovely GuessGal and my white hair amplified!The Lovely GuessGal and my white hair amplified!

So here are a few of my observations, tips and tricks as he demonstrated his skills.

• He doesn’t use primer - for the eyes or the face. He said he started as an old-school makeup artist and doesn’t find the need for it. He preps the skin with moisturizer, maybe about a teaspoon or more worth (even on oily skin) and uses concealer or foundation as a base for the eyes.
  • He always sets the eyes to avoid ‘blotchy’ eyeshadow application
  • Only uses an eyebrow pencil to fill in brows so it doesn’t look too dramatic and work against as eye look. Likes to use more taupe shades for the brow

• EyebrowsEyebrows

Instead of using powder shadow to create a smokey eye he used pencil liner, he likes Urban Decay 24/7 liners, layering it 2-5 times to build up the look

• Complexion he (extremely liberally) applies concealer and lightly taps it in (not fully blended), follows with foundation and then another layer of underage concealer. He then blends it all in togetherPower puff to avoid hand prints on the facePower puff to avoid hand prints on the faceFoundation Colour Match Tip - Match it to your body, neck not your face colour for a cohesive look

• Under Eye Contour Shade - This was one of my favourite tricks. To give a natural look, he used a darker foundation/contour shade on the bottom lash line. Hell blend this in with brown, red, orange shadows and it really really did look lovely. It gave a more natural smokey look and is something I will definitely try myself

• Eyelash Seperater, one of his secret tools to help give lashes a fluffier more separated look after applying mascara
  • Nose Contour, trying using a more grey-toned powder shade
  • One question I asked was if you can use blush to contour, an he said YES! Mauve shades on certain skin tones can look good
  • Vaseline, Once you have applied your highlight, dab a little vaseline on the highpoint of your cheek to give that glow from within look - I believe he said its a read carpet trick thats cheap as chips!
  • Teary Eyes (Another trick I’m trying this weekend) If your eyes tear when tight-lining etc, keep your mouth slightly open but breath through your nose (I’m definitely trying this out!) It stops you from tearing and it seemed to work well on the model!!

I'm guessing he's taken a few selfies in his life!I'm guessing he's taken a few selfies in his life!

Lastly, an important rule to follow is do what makes you feel good and you like on yourself, always great advice to live by! 

Anonymous Insider

Hi @Aaliaa

We are THRILLED you had an amazing time at our event with Mario! We would love to know what your favourite part of the evening was? Our's was when Julia gave a sneak peek of the new purity hydra bounce eye gel launching later this year! We can't wait for you all to get your hands on it!

Thanks @Anonymous for putting on a great event! I liked the tip of using the 3-in-1 cleanser on makeup brushes and using a moisturizer to prime this skin. I might use the sample we got tomorrow and see how it works out! I'll keep a look out for the new eye-cream in August.

Anonymous Insider

We would love to hear your feedback when you try cleansing your brushes with the purity 3-in-1 cleanser!

Thank you so much for your pictures and description, @Aaliaa!  It sounds like such a fun event!

These notes are awesome @Aaliaa, thank you so much for sharing such detailed info!! 

@AaliaaThank you for the writeup! What a neat event!

(I'm one of those weirdos that uses blush to contour... my skintone is pretty neutral but my lips and eyelids have sort of a mauve/violet undertone, so it looks more natural than textbook contouring methods)

@Aaliaa thank you for the tips and write-up! This is fabulous! Can you give any more detail on what he means by “setting” the eyes? Does he wet a brush and then dab setting spray or go over the eye makeup with a sheer powder? I’d love to know as many of his secrets as possible. Thank you!

Of course @starsandbucks. He used a dry semi-fluffy brush with quite a but of powder to set the concealer before applying any shadow/liner.

Also I don't think I mentioned but to set the under eye, he took a new wet sponge, removed all excess water and dipped that into the Laura Mercier translucent powder. He then used this to set the under eyes along with parts of the face. (@guessgal has a great photograph that shows where he applied the powder). If I remember correctly, he doesn't like a brush to set the face as it can move the product underneath.

@Aaliaa@Guessgal You guys look great! Thanks for the write-ups, what a cool event! I'm intrigued by all these little pro-tips and details, very specifically: a TEASPOON of moisturizer?!?! (though I first read that as TABLESPOON and I was like, how????).

Though the concealer thing I've noticed a lot with professional makeup artists. They REALLY love their concealer, before foundation, after foundation, blended in on the edges with the eyeshadow...how it doesn't all cake together is magic to me!

Oh I forgot to say, I skipped primer and added an extra pump of moisturizer before I applied makeup this morning and its worked do far. I always need to blot my t-zone and the apple of my cheeks once after applying anything in the area - even just primer. I've been wearing makeup for about 10 hours now and its still going pretty good! @MissPuff

Exactly @MissPuff.  @Guessgal and I actually chatted about this after the fact. I think it looks good on Camera, but for daily looks I can't imagine even celebrities do this. The creasing would just be terrible!

@MissPuff  It's magic to me too!! When I saw him do that I was thinking... well.. I guess I'll have to run out and buy like 5 more tubes of concealer! haha XD

Anonymous Insider

@Aaliaa Thanks for writing up his tips.  I've always used foundation as a lid  primer too, definitely old school

Congratulations @Aalia and @Guessgal on scoring such a sweet invite!

very detailed information which is relatively the same information he gave when I sat in on one of his mini master classes at genbeauty last yr. he’s fabulous and so talented. He came late as well and the class was supposed to be only an hr, he was queued to wrap it up and he said to “hold on” and went on another 20 minutes to finish! That’s right Mario, no one tells you to wrap it up! 😄 

74 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos18
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 10.17.52 PM.png
  • Starting eyeliner application with UD 24/7 liner
  • Tight-lining
  • Drawing and smudging out
  • Our own little personal red carpet entrance with Sephora Cast Members
  • The Lovely GuessGal and my white hair amplified!
  • Eyebrows
  • Power puff to avoid hand prints on the face
  • baking along sides of the face and down the sides of the nose
  • I'm guessing he's taken a few selfies in his life!
  • they also took a lot of selfies haha
  • IMG_1444[1].JPG
  • The sweet Aaliaa and I
testing