Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

THE AVANT GARDE

we all are here because we love makeup. the objects, the rituals, the glamor. but what inspires us can differ....

here is a little corner of BIC for those who find their heart races at the cosmetic avant-garde. sometimes minimal, other times over-the-top, often confounding just about always awe-inspiring. and then sometimes....it just doesn't work. and that's fun to discuss too.

left: serge lutens for dior cosmetics, 1970s. right: inge grognard for dries van noten runway show a/w 1997left: serge lutens for dior cosmetics, 1970s. right: inge grognard for dries van noten runway show a/w 1997

from the vintage avant-garde a-la serge lutens at dior to the 90s runway looks from inge grognard to modern day editorial concepts by up and coming makeup artists, the common thread between them all is the pushing of boundaries. if these concepts intrigue and inspire you, welcome !

Re: THE AVANT GARDE

I just saw this thread in the Navigation thread. Wow, I love it! Makeup that celebrates being makeup is so fun!! Here are some looks with glitter that I love. They are quite editorial, but also wearable I think.

From Ulla Johnson Fall 2018, Romy Soleimani for MAC. It gold leaf

Ulla Johnson Fall 2018, KELLY TAUB/WWD, From WWDUlla Johnson Fall 2018, KELLY TAUB/WWD, From WWDUlla Johnson Fall 2018, Getty Images, from InstyleUlla Johnson Fall 2018, Getty Images, from Instyle

Here is the wonderful Pat McGrath at Anna Sui SS 2018.

image.jpeg

Spoiler
test

RE: THE AVANT GARDE

As we’re leading up to Halloween, I’m loving this raven-esque eye makeup and brow

Friday fun - loving the combo of the blanked out eyebrows and that super subtle black fade to the wing

Really enjoying this inkblot type liner

Came across these 2 recently and was a fan of both. The texture on the eyes in the first one is unbelievably beautiful. Including the second one mostly because I enjoy the juxtaposition of the 2 looks on the same model and the use of draping/bright 80s colours in a more modern way.

Re: RE: THE AVANT GARDE

These are beautiful @Mochapj! Have you attempted to recreate any of these yet?

@Mcakes none in their entirety. 

Usually I will take elements of the photos I post here as inspiration (colour combos, certain placement ideas) but I haven't done a straight re-creation yet.

i *am* curious to try that textured lid one, I'm just not sure how to, yet 😊

Inspired today by this Kabuki-inspired look I'm particularly intrigued by the broken lines liner interspersed with primary coloured dots

HOW DID I BARELY SEE THIS THREAD

...Because BIC is a constant spin cycle and it buries worthy things amid "where are my samples" etc. 😕

Yes this is why I filter things to show only my joined groups. (They're working on getting CS off the boards though)

Today's inspo Love the combo of the berry shades with a bold orange cheek

It makes the look really fresh!

Inspo for the day - mustard eyes sunburnt cheeks

I am really feeling this one today! I love a really well-placed and well-picked yellow! It's vibrant without being too bright, stunning! And now I will go to make use of any yellows I have tonight in an experimentation moment!

I enjoy a lot of Pat McGrath's runway/editorial work; I went looking for one image in particular, but ended up coming out with another I'd forgotten about:

Nicholas Ghesquiere at Louis VuittonNicholas Ghesquiere at Louis VuittonSS17 Galliano for MMMSS17 Galliano for MMM

some pat mcgrath editorials that i love. all featured in i-D over the years.

rather bowie-esquerather bowie-esque

stella tennantstella tennant

pat-mcgrath-gallery-body-image-1446487376.jpg

kirsten owenkirsten owen

i forgot to add to my post below that those were PAT MCGRATH'S infamous comme des garcons lips, of course !! @Mochapj

@jemly your photo of her lips post is what prompt/reminded me that I wanted to go find the photo of that stitch look she did 😉

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 88 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
Photos25
  • left: serge lutens for dior cosmetics, 1970s. right: inge grognard for dries van noten runway show a/w 1997
  • sl.jpg
  • IMG_4556.PNG
  • IMG_4555.PNG
  • ig4mm.jpg
  • ziggymakeup.jpg
  • 3FB550A500000578-4456518-image-m-14_1493399896774.jpg
  • 35f0d142234f0125a95ecfc92843f4cf--fall-winter-lips.jpg
  • Nicholas Ghesquiere at Louis Vuitton
  • SS17 Galliano for MMM
  • rather bowie-esque
  • stella tennant
  • pat-mcgrath-gallery-body-image-1446487376.jpg