Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Sephora Firsts: What was your first Holy Grail Product from Sephora?

Sephora_Shopping_Bag (2).jpg

Hi friends! While our team is spending more time at home, some of us have been doing some spring cleaning or just have a little extra time to play around with makeup, but it seems like we’ve all come across products that have been living in our drawers for what feels like decades (or maybe even longer)! This got us thinking and taking a walk down memory lane and reminiscing on our first holy grail products from Sephora.

In a previous thread, some of us have talked about our first purchase ever from Sephora, but we are so interested to hear what was the first “holy grail” product you remember getting from Sephora that you just could not live without? Maybe it was finding that perfect lipstick, or the first foundation that was your spot-on shade match? Or even a primer or skincare product you still swear by!

What’s the first-ever holy grail product you remember getting from Sephora? Show & Tell by replying below!

Re: Sephora Firsts: What was your first Holy Grail Product from Sephora?

The Ordinary Multi-Peptide + HA Serum 

Admittedly turned back the clock only about 2 years, and now 2 years being passed I am back where I started—but that still is something, and I notice it helps my skin heal faster from acne scars and any cuts or scratches.

Lancôme Teint Idole. I’ve been wearing it since I was a teenager! 

Lancome Juicy Tube Lip Gloss!

For me it has to be KVD Beauty Tattoo Liner Vegan Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner Trooper  Believe it or not I couldn’t apply eyeliner until I discovered this one at Sephora within my first few store visits. I have been re-buying it ever since. Not that I am very expert in applying liner now but at least  a I can draw a uniform line.

@fatimamummy   So that's your secret!  🙂  That's good to know, thanks, because I can't draw a straight line and your eyeliner always looks great.

Now you know the secret 💕 @Ispend2much6 

Just commenting with @Samtian about a product, when I realized it was most likely my first Sephora purchase @BrendaBT

469F75EC-8757-44A0-B72B-9D35C444F8E6.jpeg

My sister gave me a DS and the scent was so incredible-coffee, yum! I just read about this now-discontinued product, and it seems to have been similar to Olaplex-as in a pre-shampoo treatment🤦🏻‍♀️ I only used it as a mask, and it was so, so good. The scent was so unique, it would make a great body care line if it ever returned!

@eshoe   I totally forgot about that brand!  It was a good one.

I saw a look-alike in my search for an image of the original, @Ispend2much6. I might dig a little deeper and see if it is the same formula. It is even packaged similarly. Would be very cool!

I chose a little two piece Bday gift my first year as an insider I think it was-- from Fresh-- and fell in love with the Fresh Soy Face Cleanser. Feels so good, leaves my skin feeling amazing, smells nice (and lightly scented only, too, which is a huge plus for me), and rinses off easily. I love that it comes in various sizes, too. It doesn't irritate my skin and if I'm using anything else that bothers me, this cleanser helps calm my face down. 

I miss the original edition of Makeup Forever's Matte Velvet Foundation with the tube packaging. That foundation was my first HG item from Sephora (that I recall) until it was repackaged. 

100 percent smashbox kohl liner!!!

This may sound almost ridiculous (it didn't to me now anyway) but I didn't even know what eyeshadow primer was like probably a little less than a decade ago (scary! Esp when you are as old as I am, which I can't even bring myself to specifically say but I'm not all that far from 40)! My holy grail will always be Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer & Second is the All-Nighter Spray. Absolutely cannot live without either one! I even always make sure I have a back of both ... just in case! LOL!! Loved reading thru this thread! So much fun stuff! Have a great day everyone!! 🌞

Museum of Ice Cream Palette.

The Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Palette was my first Holy Grail from Sephora! I started using some drugstore products from my favorite youtubers back in 2013 and by 2016 I couldn’t achieve the same blending abilities with basic Sephora-brand shadows or drugstore shadows. When everyone started moving from Violet Voss to Anastasia Beverly Hills I finally went to Sephora to pick up the Smashbox Studio Studio Skin 24 Hour Oil-Free Hydra Foundation Smashbox Studio Skin 24 Hour Oil-Free Hydra Foundation 1 # & the Modern Renaissance Palette Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette - that along with some Morphe M441 brushes started helping me finally learn how to build & blend shadows together to create more difficult looks and learn cut creases & my go-to halo looks. 

Sephora highlighter was mine 

Too Faced Better than Sex mascara was my holy grail item...I knew then that I'd made it

To me, 22 years later, after a lifetime of Lucky's, Thrifty's, Long's, drug stores, mom' n' pop shops...

At 19 I felt like the King's wife using Philosophy's body wash and shampoo combo (compared to what I had had!) Philosophy body wash was more artfully aromatic, more sudsy and exotic. It perfumed the whole bathroom. It was like, "Yes! I never have to wash with Suave again? Whatever that is that doesn't smell Vanilla AT ALL." Many were cherry or berry - Grace came out a few years later. I'll tag what was like what I had. This was decades ago!

I'll never forget my first time going to Sephora. Word hit the street among us around noon. All we could talk about. By 5:00 PM, at almost 20 years old, my friend Diana RAN to me there right on that corner. Krystal zoomed there in a dying honda prelude. 

We were overloaded with yearning. I got high in the store from what I saw. I got the butterflies and it was pure elation. I wanted so many things! But I couldn't load up as I wanted but I was happy with anything from Sephora! Ointments, cosmetics, tinctures, lotions, pigments, all are art and luxury and I loved/love it!

Makeup, skincare, haircare, and baths are all holy. The term "holy grail" is logical. "Grail" means "the water of life or the chief agent of life" and is The Messiah. But nonetheless, it's conceptually truly holy. And I don't think Father or The Messiah even care at all the word grail is used (they'd say "let our darlings," they love freedom and our happiness), but it is something I must write for my conscience - not yours. (Thank you.) They enjoy when we do our beauty routines.

The LORD says in Scripture that women spent all of their time putting on creams, ointments, oils, organic dyes, all kinds of rich mixes -- whatever medicament/beauty enhancer. All were imbued with the best seed, tree, grass, and fruit oil or extract. The makeup was off the chain. Just the eye shadows were stunning.

Imagine having beauty samples brought to you in batches. Party spa quarters meant you dwelled with women and were social, or you were cordial but a loner but only eunuch men allowed. The minimum time before your public debut (think debutante) to lure your mate was six months; this was standard time.  I don't recall earthlings being bored but the women were very happy. They had no pressures, none applied. Money got thrown out and was not even a consideration they had an abundance. That sounds pretty nice to me, I signed up. Um-hum.

Who else but Father would be so kind? Don't let preachers and churches or anything in heaven or earth lie about Him. They do this so you won't have the joy of His love and protection. (Find Him, He is right there in your midst! Do not let any human teach you, The Spirit will teach YOU, Christ said.)

That first time on that corner of avenue I saw the outside, and I thought of Him. Sephora (correctly spelled is Zipporah, they're annunciated the same but the latter is more z and s in the first character). Sephora (Zipporah) was the name of Moses' wife. She was known for being strikingly beautiful. A bit of trivia, even if you're secular is that Sephora is the name of a Patriarch's wife; she was an Israelite from a Holy Nation.

Givenchy mascara came in silver bottles back in 2001/2002 - they had mirrors bottom right on their cases. It was an upgrade I just had to keep, and they were around $20 back then. It was so silky, lashes never stuck together, and it lasted a long time. These days mascaras dry out quicker. This Givenchy mascara gave me a periwinkle look. It quickly became a favorite of my neighborhood girls from HS.

Probably 100% unlike Givenchy mascara now. (It's so old I can't even find it in an image search.)

We all wore that Givenchy mascara and because we all did, it was an identifier. Mascara. Who knew it could designate kinship?

Sephora still raises my dopamine and theirs too. 🍇

I remember another big splurge months and months after the Givenchy. I bit the bullet and bought Kerastase shampoo, conditioner, Orleo Relax Oil and back then they also had an Orleo Relax Cream and it was recommended they be mixed for glow and luster. WOW. (No sense tagging, they're not the same formulas 22 years later.) Disturbia looks closest, just brush wise. I have yet to test it.

I remember coming home a short time. As I crawled into my bathtub, I saw the Kerastase and cried because I was overwhelmed with gratitude. Even the bottles, I read them -- every word, "Made in Paris."  It felt so nice.

Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder is 100% my will-always-repurchase product! I love love love it. It leaves the softest, barely there finishing and helps me stay oil free all day. I'm not a big makeup user but I love my skincare products and some days my skin just doesn't want to absorb them 100%. A quick swipe of this and you'd never know I had any issues in the first place. It lasts forever too! 

245 Replies
testing