Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Pores, Pores, and Pores Ugh

Ok, I'm really working toward finding the best primer for large pores. I'm Italian and oily, which I hear is good to prevent future wrinkles 😉 That's the only upside.

In any case, I've tried WAY too many primers for my liking. I definitely need major pore minimizing and oil control.

So far, I've used Too Faced Primed and Peachy, Too Faced Primed and Poreless, Benefit POREfessional, Becca (just about all of them), Charlotte Tilbury Wonderglow (didn't seem as though I had anything on at all), MILK Blur Stick (awful and streaky, by the way), Dr. Brandt Pores No More, Peter Thomas Roth Skin to Die For, Lancome Prep and Matte... I know that each of these work great for some, but definitely not for me.

I was watching Tati's video on the $1000 Sephora products and noticed that she mentioned using Tarte Timeless Smoothing Primer. Has anyone with gigantic pores tried it? Did it work? Do you recommend anything else? Any help would be great!

RE: Pores, Pores, and Pores Ugh

@freud I have super large pores as well and I’ve been using the Tatcha silk canvas primer and find it helps. I’m not super oily tho. I have also been using the drunk elephant TLC Framboos and it has minimized my pores dramatically in only 2 uses. I hope you can find one that work 🙂

oh and to answer your question, I have tried the tartar poreless primer and it helped a tad but not ask much as my other combo I found.

The post below that mentioned the smashbox (purple one) and the hourglass primer are the only ones that actually made a difference for me too. I too also started treating my skin with Dr. Dennis Gross alpha beta extra strength peel pads twice a week and that helped sooooo much too. there is also a few powders that helped as well... Bare minerals mineral veil powder is great for minimizing pores, and well as a not so common brand called Stellar. They have one called cosmic face powder HAZE and for me that blurred them as well. One more thing, don't forget to use moisturizer as well.. sometimes your skin is excessively oily becasue your not giving it enough moisture. The type of moisturizer you use also plays a part in how minimized your pores will look as well. One that worked well for me is Ole Henriksen Counter Balance Mattifying moisture cream. I also use a witch hazel toner that helps to shrink them as well. ( from the health food store or drugstore) Just thought I'd throw that in there from personal experience. 🙂 good luck!!

I've tried several of the same primers and the one I love most, which was not on your list, is the smashbox pore minimizing primer (purple bottle). Even if you are oily you need to moisturize well, let it absorb then apply the pore primer, small amount, pat and smooth over pores, if you use too much it doesn't work as well. Then I apply hourglass veil primer on the rest of my face (again, not too much) , whatever is left on your hands pat gently over your pores.. I've also used a product from mac in the past called pore skin refiner (or something like that) which is great for oily skin, I don't use it much now but I think it might work for you (under the pore primer). Another suggestion I have is that you 'treat' your pores, I added Dr dennis gross alpha beta daily pads to my skin care and it made a huge difference in my pores, I use it 2 to 3 times a week, at night. I think you will see a difference! Good luck!

Re: Pores, Pores, and Pores Ugh

Hi, @freud

I feel your pain. Sometimes I think you could practically drive a truck through any of the pores in my "T" zone.

Best I've been able to do is use the Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid to keep my pores clear. I use either Smashbox Pore Refining Primer or Benefit POREfessional, and then use Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation. I've found that foundation actually does the best job of covering pores - it doesn't sink/settle into them. I'd also recommend experimenting with applying the foundation with fingers, a Beauty Blender, and a brush, to see which does the best job of minimizing what you want to minimize/cover. 

Unfortunately, once you have the issue with pores, you just kind of have to do what you can not to accentuate them.

There is hope! as I've gotten older/ better with my skin...

There is hope! as I've gotten older/ better with my skin care, I've found I have less of a pore issue. That and so much experimenting with different products and combinations that it seemed to have gotten better. Done give up hope, it could still get better 🙂

Re: Pores, Pores, and Pores Ugh

Thank you so much! I have thought about trying the Estee Lauder foundation, so this definitely helps! And, I totally agree with you, the application tool makes all the difference. 

Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing