Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Makeup 101: Discussion, Questions and All

First I would like to say thank you fatimamummy  for letting me use a part of her skincare thread title for this thread! Thank you so much! 🙂

In a similar fashion to the skincare thread this will be a place to discuss anything makeup related. Questions, recommendations, inspirations, tips, tricks, stories, whatever. All welcomed!

makeuptr.jpg

Need makeup swatches? You can go to the swatch request thread.:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/m-p/2223212#M4100

Need skincare advice? Skincare 101 is the place to be.:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Skincare-101-Discussions-Questions-and-All/m-p/2719...

Need advice on hair or body care. There are threads for that too.:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Hair/THE-HAIR-THREAD/m-p/2768486#M11791

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/THE-BATH-amp-BODY-CARE-THREAD/m-p/2765274

Need fragrance advice, BIC has got you covered.:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Fragrance/Fragrance-Junkie-Central/m-p/2222170#M8919

~ Updated September 2nd 2017 ~

Re: Makeup 101: Discussion, Questions and All

Does anyone know the signs of expired powder makeup? Like not hardpan that can be scraped off but like....actually gone bad? I know its technically up to 2 years or until it smells or looks funky....

I have a Kevin Aucoin contour powder and noticed lately it hasn't been blending the same - like its dried out? No funky smell or residue just crumbly and dry. I travel with it and use the beauty so clean spray often so Im wondering if that could have done something?

Not sure if it can be saved or if Ill have to spring for a new one since there's a considerable amount left. I purchased it....I think late 2014?

RE: Re: Makeup 101: Discussion, Questions and All

from what I’ve heard, when powder products expire some have a change in texture or a change in formula. It’s harder to tell on powders since there isn’t really a scent for most of them and you can’t visually tell if it’s good or not. If it’s not performing the same as when you first got it, then it probably is expired.

Re: RE: Re: Makeup 101: Discussion, Questions and All

That would make sense...thank you @Starburst24!

I own one of their eyeshadow palettes - what a great idea this is! Smiley Happy

"The Convenient Way 1 Redditor Recycles Their Old E.L.F. Palettes"

00.PNG

That's a cool idea @ZombieMetroAnt!!!

Tell me something...

I buy my foundation at Sephora and just want to try a new formula/brand every once in a while. When I click on different brands, does the selection you highlight for me mean that it matches the color of the foundation I purchased last from the old brand?. 

Yep, this happens for me as well. The website automatically selects a shade that matches my Color IQ. 

Anybody know of a dupe for MUFE Artist Face Color in S300?

I love the shade (and love that there's no shimmer!), but I'm super new to blush and don't really want to spend $29 or so dollars on it. 

@Saschattack   not sure if you are still looking for this but Temptalia has dupes on her blog for this shade 🙂

Thank you!

Another nudge to this thread....hoping it gets some more traffic 😉

Yay!!! It's back! Thanks so much @KatieBT!

Wanted to share this Make Up Brush Guide I found way back when I started dabbling (in spoiler because it's kinda long😞  

Spoiler
makeup brushes 101

This came in handy when I purchased a set of Morphe brushes.  It was about 20 of them, in all shapes & sizes and they were only labeled with the brand name. 

011.JPG

@ZombieMetroAnt  This is a great guide for beginners

Oh I love this @ZombieMetroAnt this chart would be perfect for the Love for Brushes thread 🙂 

OMG 00000000.JPGthere's a brush thread?!  Goes to show how much I venture outta my comfort zone. Thanks @AMK721 Heart

Wanted to share this helpful chart that came in handy when I first started dabbling with make-up.  As a "beginner" this was quite helpful, especially because I'm very forgetful.  The only step missing was the sunscreen but wedged it in between step 3 & 4. Cat LOL  

For example, apply concealer *after* foundation so you don't waste it on places foundation has already covered!Get all the details and the reasons behind this order here.

The same blogger has a similar chart for brushes. 

@ZombieMetroAnt How was this post missed? This makes it easy for beginners to follow. 

Oh, thanks so much for the tag @darkiceis!  I've been looking for this thread 😃

This is chart is super helpful, right?  I printed it and have it near my mirror. 

Does sunscreen always follow moisturizer? Does it matter if it's a physical or chemical sunscreen?

Conversation Stats
  • 32 replies
  • 110 Hearts Given
  • 12 Contributors
Photos3
  • makeuptr.jpg
  • 717e611490e5e47585d78d05be8fb63e.jpg
  • 00.PNG
testing