Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

[ Edited ]

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

IMG_5795.JPG

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

(0) Hearts

Hi All Smiley Happy I just recently discovered the Canadian brand ORDINARY thru Wayne Goss You tube channel then I kept on researching and watching reviews of these amazing , cheap skincare . I have placed a huge order to try them out including foundation and primer as they are well praised by Wayne Goss. I wanted to see if it can replace my Sunday Riley ( Luna+ Good Genes + CEO) regimen. 

Does anybody heard or ever tried out their skincare products?

http://theordinary.com/?lang=en

(0) Hearts

@mztm There's a whole thread dedicated to Deciem, with most of the discussion focusing on The Ordinary. You might find it particularly helpful since you're interested in some of the products!

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/DECIEM-THREAD/m-p/2729996#M36359

(0) Hearts

Thank you @lachaton

I tried Paula's choice 2% BHA liquid Exfoliant and it helps a lot. Minimizing pores, reducing pimples, balancing my skin and redness. I use it twice daily and my skin feels better overnight. It's on sale now for $19 reg $29. If you're new to Paula's choice website, I can prefer you for extra $10 off first order. You can get 3 samples plus unlimited free shipping and no tax at checkout. Final price is $9 with prefer goo(dot)gl/9lh41o

This might have already been answered but I'm looking for solutions for moving skincare into some different containers. 

1. I keep forgetting to put on eye cream because I hate having to clean an applicator to dig it out of a jar and then apply it, which means I tend to forget about it. Ideally I'd like a touche éclat type thing where I could just click some product and swipe it on? Does something like this exist or is there a product that has packaging that I could use in this way? 

2. Same rough idea, I have cream that comes in a jar, and I'd like to have a way to get it out without having to dig into the jar. Also I apparently lack all self control when it comes to jars and tend to grab too much product. 

Any suggestions? 

[ Edited ]

@themusefactory I'm not sure if you're looking for an empty vessel to transfer an existing favourite eye cream to (I don't think I've ever seen such a thing) or a product that already exists in said packaging.

skyn Iceland makes an eye cream in a pen format and I believe Clinique does, too. I think at one point benefit also made one with a little metal iron looking thing on the tip that was meant to be a cooling applicator (though I am not one to recommend benefit skincare, lol)

http://m.sephora.com/product/P404417?icid2=skugrid

http://m.sephora.com/product/P403817?icid2=skugrid&skuId=1774819

(0) Hearts

@Mochapj Sorry I wasn't more clear! I was looking for something empty or something that I could empty and work as like a refillable situation with a product I'm currently using! I've seen a million different options for things that are already in the packaging I'm looking for, but I guess I'm more curious if any of these have the option to be refilled? 

I saw the benefit one! Not a huge fan of the brand but as someone who sews, I can't deny the iron is super cute, hahaha! Smiley Happy 

Thanks so much for responding! I'll check out the products you linked next time I'm at Sephora and others to see if they are all "one and done" or I could use it to load up the products I want Smiley Happy 

(0) Hearts

@themusefactory I don't know about a click-pen type product, but I'm currently using a strivectin eye cream in a needle-nose tube. Surely there are others like that?

I have repurposed a metal cuticle pusher for scooping things out of tubs. Quick and easy to clean, and it helps keep me from getting too much. The scoop on mine is almost flat...I dip it in and then put the product right on my face. A quick rinse and wipe, and it's ready for the next use. Smiley Happy

(0) Hearts

Hey @RGbrown ! I did find some options but I'm looking for something I can reuse because most of my eye cream faves and just regular cream favs tend to come in tubs, grrr. 

I have a small spatula but I'm still a savage, lol. And I also don't want to mess with one anymore! I was looking online and I guess the big trend is a metal phallic looking thing and it's just another thing to clean and in my case probably lose, panic, find and repeat. 

(0) Hearts

@themusefactory ah, gotcha. Check out Amazon...I see refillable tubes and eye rollers right off the bat. Hopefully you can find something useful Smiley Happy

(0) Hearts

My skin is in need of a new moisturizer and exfoliator. My skin is dry/normal and I love my moisturizers to be heavy duty, intense hydration. I find chemical peels to be too intense for my skin, and I'm not sure what else to try. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you!

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

@KellW - are you looking for a physical or a chemical exfoliator? I have similar skin as yours and I really like the Amorepacific treatment enzyme peel. It has papaya enzymes in it. Also I would suggest going over to Beautylishdotcom and checking out The Ordinary line. I really like their hyaluronic acid 2%

http://www.sephora.com/treatment-enzyme-peel-P232931?skuId=1161694&icid2=products%20gridSmiley Tongue232931

As far as moisturizers I really like Fresh's line of gel moisturizers. They recently put out a new one that I've been wanting to try. There is also the new Peter Thomas Roth cloud cream.

http://www.sephora.com/water-drench-hyaluronic-cloud-cream-P415701?skuId=1898550&icid2=products%20gr...Smiley Tongue

http://www.sephora.com/rose-deep-hydration-face-cream-P406686?skuId=1788397&icid2=products%20gridSmiley Tongue406...

(0) Hearts

Thoughts on DE Baby Facial vs. the Ordinary's 30% BHA/AHA

so i got a couple of samples of the DE and I've had ordinary's for a while now

So I was a little nervous about trying drunk elephants, because either their glycolic serum or their vitamin c serum gave me little bumps all over my forehead (I normally have a completely clear forehead so this was not "purging") and thought it was due to the marula oil which the baby facial has in it. I washed my faces after to make sure no residue was to avoid any irritant and didn't have the issues that I've had with the serums.

The baby facial isn't as strong as ordinary's. Both sting, but the baby facial only stings a little bit when I put it on and then I only notice it stinging some of the time. Both exfoliate well, but I think the ordinary does a little bit more. The baby facial is a thicker paste and the ordinary is a liquid. I felt I wasted more/it was harder to build up the baby facial where I could add more layers to the ordinary's. 

I used the ordinary on the same day I used herbivore blue tansy mask (blue tansy in the Am and the ordinary in the pm). This was me being an idiot because it was the first time trying the herbivore mask and it was super gentle compared to their pineapple mask so I'm like it's the pm I can do my ordinary mask. Well, I got dry patches underneath my nose from overdoing it. My fault of being dumb and not listening to the skin when it was burning more than normal. The ordinary's is definitely strong

when used properly, I like the ordinary's results a little more. Neither smell was offensive to me. The baby facial would be for people than want a thicker texture and a slightly gentler formula and don't mind the price. The ordinary is for people who want a strong mask and a liquid formula. Feel free to ask me questions about both. I will not be purchasing DE though.

on another note, I was surprised that herbivores blue tansy was gentler than the pineapple mask. The tansy didn't see to exfoliate me at all (no tingling) but did make my skin smoother without any redness (hence why I thought I could do two acid masks in one day). The pineapple mask will make my skin red at first but more glowy the next morning. I like both masks. I like the pineapple smell better, but I think I like that blue tansy is a little more gentle/I can use it more frequently without irritating my skin. 

@sierrafallon I just wanted to clarify something you mentioned.

both products are actually the same 'strength' as they are both a 30% AHA.

tingle isn't really indicative of strength or how well something exfoliates so much as it indicates irritation. If one tingles less, it's likely because they have more skin conditioning and anti irritant ingredients included to mitigate the tingle.

one of the ways the ordinary claims they keep their prices down is to leave out a lot of the 'buffer' ingredients like that.

that said, it's a good thing all you experienced when using the blue tansy and the aha 30 on the same day was flaking. The blue tansy is also an aha bha mask, albeit a not as potent one.

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

@Mochapj 

I know they're the same percentage which is why I was comparing them.

I was referring to the actual effects on my skin as the ordinary made it smother, and seemed to exfoliate more of my skin. Sorry that didn't seem clear 

also, about the tingling, in the medical field, that's what people use to determine if a peel is too strong for someone. The same level of exfoliating is going to produce the same level of tingling unless a numbing cream is applied (which is a bad idea). Much like if some applies a oil before a retinol, just because it's a 1% doesn't mean it's going to perform the same as when you apply a 1% directly to the skin. The buffering ingredients can either reduce the strength of a peel or help it work to it's full percentage. numbing ingredients usually aren't applied with acid peels because then the person won't know if they're burning their skin. 

I knew the blue tansy is an acid mask. I just thought it was weaker than it was, which is why I thought I could get away with using on in the am and one in the pm, but obviously I was wrong. Lol

and the good genes statement is just a lie. You can't have an acid work more than it's actual percentage. If they're referring the 40% masks that are buffered down to working like a 4% peel then maybe their statement is true in that sense, but good genes does not compare to a derm's 40% peel. I love good genes and think it's a great product, but that's just not true 

(0) Hearts

@sierrafallon I know the GG statement is a lie.  

It's not the first time Sunday Riley has made completely spurious claims and I doubt it will be the last.

I brought it up because @greenchilli mentioned GG is 40%, which while Sunday Riley has advertised it as being 40% numerous times, they are now walking back that statement (as per the below from their FB) with a claim that makes no sense because 5% does not equal 40%, obviously Smiley Happy

I quite like the effects of GG as well, but I have a real problem with brands that use that sort of misdirection to make people think their products are much more effective than they are.

(0) Hearts

@Mochapj Yeah, it makes me sad. It's such a great product so I don't know why they don't let it sell itself.

Plus, it's something you can use everyday that's going to have more effect on your skin's everyday health than a derm peel which you can do maybe every two weeks if the derm will let you. In my eyes, these are two very different things. 

But, like you said, it's probably why they're getting sued (and rightfully so) so I don't feel that bad. I just hope the product sticks around.

@Mochapj  Good points.

On a similar note - Good Genes seems benign due to all the skin conditioning ingredients as well, but it still is 40%.  Sometimes the lack of tingle or burn might encourage more frequent use....and that doesn't work out well either.

[ Edited ]

@greenchilli Also good points!

I read recently (amidst all SR's litigation news) that the GG 40% thing is a misnomer.

IMG_0218.PNG

supposedly it's really only 5% but the ingredients it is compounded with are supposed to give the effects of a 40% peel (according to SR).

personally I don't understand how they can get away with making misleading statements like that, but I guess maybe that's why they're being sued 😊

Haha @Mochapj!

That is some Grade A shenanigans!  I didn't know specifically that GG was an issue with alternative facts as well - thanks for the snippet.  This is what I get for not being on FB.

Perhaps GG is gentle because it isn't 40% after all.

On a related note -

Spoiler
I find Alpha H Liquid Gold to be quite potent on me.  Not that it exfoliates more, just that I feel it on my skin.  And you know my skin is an old hag as it relates to acid exfoliation.  In addition, the brand's strong recommendation is NOT to use it daily.

I spoke with the owner of a well known and respectable retailer that carries AH.  Apparently it is only 5% Glycolic, just as much as Pixi Glow tonic.  I will try to pull up the email conversations to capture the specific words.  Apparently the carrier mechanism is more potent in AH...hence the potency sting.

Disclaimer to show bias and explain smug laughter - I am not a fan of Sunday Riley products.  I own GG that I would like to use up.  But I have other products I prefer greatly.  I own the Juno oil that is just sitting in my shelf.