Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

IMG_5795.JPG

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

Didn't want to create a new thread, but please help! I recently got a prescription for a retinoid, but as expected, my skin is now really dry and tight, and I'm only using the treatment three times a week as recommended by both my dermatologist and pharmacist. How has everyone else dealt with the dryness? I've used everything I could think of that would normally solve my mild dry winter skin issues (hydrating overnight masks, oils, serums, essences, moisturizers, sprays, etc.), but nothing is working. Also, my skin hates hyaluronic acid, so prefer no recommendations with that. Thanks!

Edit: I should note that I know this is normal and my skin should get used to the trentinoin in a few weeks. And that my dermatologist recommended Eucerin or Cerave moisturizers with sunscreen, but those are definitely way too lightweight for right now!

@txcatx everyone's reactions are different but I found the best way to deal with the tightness from starting prescription strength was to use a moisture sandwiching technique.

I'd start out by applying the prescription and wait about half an hour. Then I'd apply facial mist, a facial oil, another layer of mist, and finish it off with a layer of a heavy facial balm. I'd do this about an hour before bed so it had plenty of time to soak in and not just get smeared on my pillow. I didn't have to do it the whole time I used a prescription because eventually my skin did acclimate but it helped to manage the in between stage. 

If you have favourite products that you already use in these categories, I would start out by trying them together for this technique, but if not, for mists, a personal favourite is Josh Rosebrook's Hydrating Accelerator. For facial oils, the Rose oil from Biossance Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Firming Oil 1.01 oz / 30 mL is quite nice and as for balms, I'm partial to the Josh Rosebrook Vital Balm Cream but the REN Clean Skincare Evercalm™ Overnight Recovery Balm 1.02 oz/ 30 mL is also a nice one that is available at Sephora.

Hope that helps.

ETA: also, it might help to switch to a gentler cleanser and make sure you aren't using any acids or exfoliants for the time being as those can also exacerbate the tight and dryness.

@Mochapj Thank you! I have sprays and oils that I like, but I'll have to try one of those balms and the layering technique that you mentioned!

@txcatx - just wanted to second the overnight recovery balm suggestion! It’s really great for super dry or damaged skin 

RE: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

Hey all, question... I purchased the Sephora Favorites mask set around the holidays 2018. It came with this Herbivore Blue Tansy mask, that I’ve never used or even opened. I just went to open it up tonight to use it and it’s literally black and STINKS! When I look at pictures of the mask online, it looks bluish. Is this normal? Should I toss it, even though it’s literally never been used and like 4 months old? This is what it looks like...

Re: RE: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

You should contact customer services. As it's made with natural ingredients, the colour and scent of the mask can vary depending on the batch. For instance, mine has a deep green ish blue hue. However, yours look a bit sketchy... 

The mask should be a blue color and smell herbal and a li...

The mask should be a blue color and smell herbal and a little floral. It should also be a little runny and thin. It definitely should not "stink"! I hope this helps and good luck.

Hi everyone! This is my first post here. I can't find any answers to my question online. Hope you can help me! I am using a pretty basic anti aging skincare routine/regimen consisting of:

AM

- Cetaphil cleanser 

- Timeless vitamin C serum

- Neutrogena SPF 110+ (mixed with a couple drops of Isle of Paradise tanning drops every other day)

PM 

-Cetaphil cleanser

-The Ordinary glycolic toner

-ROC retinol corexxion eye cream 

-CeraVe skin renewing night cream with hyaluronic acid & peptides

Here's my dilemma - I am planning on starting to incorporate Retin - A / tretnoin prescription .1% into my regimen.

So my questions are:

1. Are any of the products I'm using going to counteract/ or shouldn't be used with Retin-A? I'm planning on starting out with a very small amount 2-3x per week and not using the toner on the days I'm using the Retin-A.

2. Should I stop using the Isle of Paradise altogether? Being that I'm using products meant to exfoliate and turn over skin cells, is it just a waste/making my products less effective? 

Thanks for any help!!!

@hayolyvia  I think it would be ok to use to use the toner on days you don't use the Retin-A. I continued to use glycolic acid products when I started using prescription Tretinoin without issue. Just listen to your skin, as you might tolerate it just fine, or you might need to scale it back. I personally think it would be a waste to use the tanning drops, however I haven't self tanned in ages. Your skin really will peel at such a rapid rate that I don't see how any self tanner could stick. This is a big community though, so I'm sure others will be able to chime in on their experiences with prescription retinol a faux tan.

Thank you so much!

Hi all, 

I posted this question in a different group but thought maybe this would be the better place for it? For those of you who use Sunday Riley Luna Sleeping Retinoid Night Oil 1.18 oz/ 35 mL how do you use it? Do you use it on its own? Do you layer it over or under something? If so how long do you wait between steps? The fact that this is a retinol AND an oil is throwing off my understanding of what order to apply products...Thank you! 

Hi @mmck07 ,

I really liked using the Luna oil by Sunday Riley. From my understanding of skincare, treatment oils go after toners and essences, and before moisturizers. This oil in particular is a really dry oil so using it this way worked really well for me. That way the active ingredient, retinol, doesn't have to travel through my thick moisturizer to work! Hope this helps!

@mmck07  I tried it in many different ways but unfortunately this wasn’t for me. No matter how small an amount I use ( alone or on top of a serum), it made me already oily skin extremely oily . I know some other ppl using it on top of a serum and like the results. That being said, I don’t think wearing it on top of good genes is a great idea. Good genes has lactic acid and layering it wither retinol could be a bit too much for the skin. 

RE: Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

I use it over Good Genes at night. I put Good Genes on. Wait a few minutes for that to sink in and then use The Luna Oil. I always use oils last in my order of products.
Anonymous Insider

Any recommendations for me? 

I have combination (right now it is more dry), VERY sensitive skin and some acne and redness.  I am and have been looking for some skin care products but most of the ones I have tried have given me breakouts, more redness or have not worked well or have not worked at all. 

I agree with @TrysBeautyItems

@Raerocks14 Skin sensitivities (or intolerances) differ greatly depending on the root causes and level of reactions that result. A few of my friends have what they identify as very sensitive skin as well and love love love the Simple brand (a brand made for sensitive skin) as well as the Toleriane range from La Roche-Posay and products from the Avene brand. These are all drugstore, so perhaps they would be a good, and lower-cost place to start!?!

Sensitivities are all relative, what exactly are you sensitive to? @Anonymous 

La Roche Posay is made for sensitive skin.

What type of products are you looking for? Meaning what 'does not work'? 

Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

Any recommendations on products for Rosacea?

RE: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

I have found mixing Farmacy Honey Drop light with my moisturizer in the a.m. and p.m. and it has reduced my rosacea, it’s more under control now.

thank you!

thank you!
731 Replies
testing