cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers
|

Jack Black lip balm: severe allergic reaction

Hi everyone,

I have been having extra drying and random rashes on my lips for the last 6 months. I have been using on and off the Jack Black lip balm so I never realized that it was the culprit, chalking it down to winter dryness....till this weekend, when I was on travel and I had only the Jack Black lip balm on hand. After my flight and getting to the hotel, I felt my lips to be too dry, so after the shower I put an extra amount of the lip balm on and went to bed. Woke up in the morning to big swollen lips, covered by tiny blisters (no possible food allergies, given that I had brought food from home for the flight). To cut the story short, I started looking at the beauty threads and I discovered that over the years Jack Back has had two very different list of ingredients published for their lip balms. I have been using a sample that did not indicate directly the parabens as ingredient but their lip balm has parabens and hence my reaction (I know I have allergy to preservatives and hence bringing food from him for travel)!

I have bought during the VIB sale last year the Jack Black Lip Balm Holiday set and now I am looking at 4 very terrible products for my lips. So two questions:

1) can I return the gift/value box even if it is after the 60days from the purchase date?

2) any suggestions for great lip balms/products that are paraben-free? I know I can use the plain vaseline but petrolatum is not my favorite product. 

Re: Jack Black lip balm: severe allergic reaction

I’m running into a similar issue. I thought I found the product that was drying my lips out and I threw it away and my lips started to feel better. Then I found the Jack Black lip balm where I had lost it behind my bed and within one day the dry, cracked, tight feeling is back.
I found out about the ingredient “differences” from the packaging and I am disgusted that 4 years after you posted this, Jack Black is still not providing a full ingredient list on their tubes or on retailer websites.

I am sorry, chapstick, for thinking it was your fault! 

I was disappointed by Jack Black hiding ingredients so I stopped using their lipbalms. My favorite non-SPF lipbalms are Tatcha, which is as moisturizing as the famous By Terry and contains lots of plant extract that soothes as well. I'm also a fan of Fresh if you prefer stick. And Marc Jacob if you need SPF. None of them contains paraben but check the ingredients list to make sure you are not allergic to one of the plant extract or something.

http://www.sephora.com/lip-lock-moisture-balm-P379420

http://www.sephora.com/gold-camellia-nourishing-lip-balm-P404473?skuId=1793983&icid2=products%20grid...

http://www.sephora.com/sugar-advanced-therapy-lip-treatment-P302103

hi @TTSS  you cannot return the product for a refund past the limitation date, unfortunately. That being said, call your local store and ask to speak to the manager, explain the situation and they MAY allow you to do an exchange or store credit.. but this is going to depend on your powers of persuasion and the manager's disposition.

Sorry I don't have better news for you!

thank you @Insomniacmuffin. I guess if the store exchange doesn't work, the set will go on the exchange thread here. I don't feel like gifting to friends and family given the issues I had.

Any suggestions for paraben-free lip products? Sephora removed they Natural products tab and it is difficult to search for them.

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing