Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in K-Beauty
|

All things K-Beauty!!

For those who don't know what this is, it stands for Korean Beauty!

Honestly, I'm surprised I don't see even more stuff posted about K-Beauty as it seems to be taking over right now.  I hear nothing but good things about their skincare, makeup, etc!

I recently got the Amorepacific cream as a 100 point perk and am really liking it for daytime moisture (although I think it may be better in the summer as I still feel a tad dry), and I hear good things about the Chosungah22 products which Sephora carries!

I also recently made a giant order through a Korean retailer called Jolse, can't wait to get my stuff!

Do you guys love K-Beauty? Do you have any reviews of stuff you've tried? I'm hoping to get this moving and that people will post in here regularly about skincare and cosmetics from Korea!

Re: All things K-Beauty!!

Are there any K beauty shops in NYC? I would loove to go check it out. Thanks!

There are a ton in Koreatown (32nd street btwn 5th and 6th ave) in Manhattan. If you wanted to venture in the outer boroughs there's alot of shops in Flushing, it's just very crowded around that area and the shops are more spread out(vs. all being on the same block in Koreatown) so I would make a day out of it lol

@mayrar Thank you so much!!! I had no idea where to start looking for them. Next time I go to the city I will make sure to check it out 🙂 

has anyone tried the Missha time revolution night repair ampoule? i am curious about it! 

@unfungirl I actually just bought it this weekend. 😊

@fairlywell nice!! i ordered it from jolse- please let me know what you think!

Anonymous Insider

Highly recommend Gothamista on Youtube if you ladies (and gents) would like some real, knowledgeable and useful Asain beauty reviews. René's skin condition is no joke, so great I can see the radiance reflecting from the screen. The fact that she doesn't do much makeup just make me believe how great her skin condition really is. She is extremely smart and often breaks down her reviews to the ingredients of the products. Very thorough and unbiased.

I would trust her reviews more than some woman that does botox on the side and still has a droopy face lol..

Have you guys watched The Beauty Breakdown on youtube? I like watching her to learn more about KBeauty in general. 

Anonymous Insider

I often disagree with her reviews I don't know if it is because we live on different coasts or we just want different things in makeup. I would think the complete opposite of what she feels about a product lol and it happens all the time so I just stopped watching her...

She also mostly reviews road shop brands. If you are looking for same makeup payoff as the high-end Sephora ones it will disappoint you. 

Huh, that's interesting @Anonymous ! I don't see her do much makeup I mostly see her do skincare. Haven't tried much K Beauty outside of what Sephora and Ulta carries. I'll keep what you said in mind. That's too bad, she seems very knowledgeable.

Anonymous Insider

I def won't say that she is knowledgable, sorry maybe I'm just harsh when it comes to product reviews. She is way too nice in my opinion and thinks that many things are good when they are not even average in my opinion. Makeup as well I often hate the things she likes. But like I said, personal preference. She is fun to watch cause she's got a nice personality but when it comes to reviews I just ignore her opinions.

Glow Recipe Fans - they're launching their own line on May 1st

469.JPG

987.JPG

Spoiler
Sheet masks. Sleeping packs. Silky essences. Over the last couple of years, Seoul has brought so many deliciously innovative skin-care trends stateside — with the help of curated collections from Korean beauty retailers, including Glow Recipe, Peach & Lily, and Soko Glam. And now, those retailers are slowly starting to create a name for themselves in the K-beauty space. Peach & Lily launched its own sheet mask collection last fall, and recently, Glow Recipe announced it's jumping into the product development game with its own eponymous line, Glow Recipe Skincare.

Officially dropping May 1, Glow Recipe Skincare, created by the retailer's co-founders Christine Chang and Sarah Lee, will launch with just two products: a creamy Blueberry Bounce Cleanser and an ultra-hydrating Watermelon Glow Sleeping Mask. But what sets these two launches apart from traditional cleansers and sleeping masks, is that these guys were literally formulated to be multitaskers.

The cleanser, just as its name suggests, is formulated with antioxidant blueberry to decrease oil production, while it deep-cleans and hydrates. But if your skin is super-parched, here's where the multitasking comes in: The cleanser, which actually smells like sweet berries, doubles as a face mask, and can be worn (on dry, clean skin) for five to eight minutes for a little extra hydration. Personally, I prefer it best in the shower, but that's just me.

And then there's the sweet like candy, gel-based Watermelon Glow Sleeping Mask, which claims to exfoliate as it hydrates — all while you're catching your Zzzs. Why watermelon, though? According to Glow Recipe, in Korea, the water-based fruit, which is rich in potassium, vitamins C, A, and B6, is traditionally used to soothe inflamed skin (a.k.a. sunburns) in the summer. So, the idea of Glow Recipe Skincare's overnight mask is that after slathering on the treatment before bed, by the time you wake up (and rinse off any leftover residue), your skin will feel hydrated and any underlying redness will be soothe (albeit temporarily). And like the cleanser, this overnight mask can also be used as a quickie treatment and rinsed off (with warm water) after ten minutes of wear, which is how I like to use it — before I layer on my toner.

I MUST have that watermelon sleeping mask.

I'm so glad someone started this thread!!! I love K-beauty or asian beauty brands in general. It's what truly saved my skin. I've been hooked on it for a little over 10 years now! I miss living in Chicago and having a K-town where everything was so easily accessible! I've also lived in Taiwan and have to say if you like sheet masks definitely give Taiwanese ones a try! They're the best ones in my opinion!

Also I think it would be so cool to do a STB with K-beauty stuff!

Anonymous Insider

I live in Chicago! Where is best to go to look into K-beauty products? I've been so curious about trying some. 

Anonymous Insider

Shout out to my home country Taiwan! We do make great sheet masks I stock up every time I go back! My Beauty Diary Black Pearl masks were my OG and I still like it so much after the gazillion masks I've tried after that.

I always try and do  the same every time I go back! I love some brands that can't be found anywhere else which is why I opened my own AB store. I do love K-beauty and Japanese beauty products as well but some my specific needs I fee like Taiwanese brands works best for me 🙂

ahh i am so excited for this thread! i was using sunday riley good genes/luna/tidal for awhile, but felt it wasn't really effective. so i decided to try drunk elephant, and my skin went nuts. i broke out for the first time in years! i've been using FAB and belif to try to recover from my breakouts, but i don't love either line. i've dabbled in k-beauty (skin food, missha, tony moly) but am so overwhelmed with the choices. can't wait to read everyone's thoughts!

@unfungirl I broke out from Drunk Elephant too! :S My skin used to be clear until I started using the TLC night serum. I got 3 cysts after using it. I'm still dealing with the post acne scars and hyperpigmentation 😞

Anonymous Insider

DE TLC night serum broke me out real bad as well! Deep pimples around the chin area. I have very clear and almost perfect skin! I suggest snail essence if you are dealing with hyper pigmentation. Snail essence heals scars and lighten the pigmentations. I know this might sound bad but you might also want to try the "whitening" products they will work well for you. Search for products that contain niacinamide. 

@prti  ugh same!! i got like 5 deep cystic pimples on my chin/cheeks, and i NEVER get those. i'm sorry you had a reaction too! i was shocked!

what are you using now?

testing