Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

March 2017: Sample Challenge

March Challenge is to dig into all your samples and try them out.  Post here what sample/foil pack you used and your thoughts about it.  Would you consider buying the full size?

Sephora Samples.jpg

Re: March 2017: Sample Challenge

Two tests for me:

Tatcha - The Essence. Very watery, and felt like I had to use more than other brands since it ran all over my fingers. Left my skin a little bit sticky, which wasn't a problem for my night use but might be problematic for day. It did make my skin pretty soft, but not amazingly so. I woke up with two little pimples along my chin, but my skin is terribly touchy, so that's not surprising. Compared to my other essence favorites from Belif and May Coop, it's more than twice the cost and not nearly as nice. Would not purchase.

Tarte - Tarteguard 20 Tinted Moisturizer (light). Felt nice on my skin initially with good coverage, but way too orange for me to wear. I had to remove it, so I can't speak to the long-term wear. Would not purchase due to extreme color mismatch.

omg, i thought it was just me. the tatcha stuff I have been using me have some raised red bumps and it was also sensitive. like my skin was made of tissue paper and could rip at any second.. 😞

Day 2:

Cle de Peau Body Exfoliator - this was too gentle of a scrub for me (I like it rough) (hee!) and I didn't like the scent. Also the full size is $85! So this one is a no. I also have a sample of the Body Emulsion ($150!) which I was going to use but threw it out after I smelled the body scrub since I assumed they were the same fragrance.

Korres Shower Gel (Melon) - I have used other Korres shower gels and I like them, but I did not like the scent of this one. I wanted it to be much more melon-y. 

Le Couvent Des Minimes body lotion - This was fine, if a bit thin. I did not like the scent, though.

Josie Maran Whipped Argan Oil Face Butter - I have a lot of these packets from a Sephora promo so I am going to use this all week to get a good feel for it. So far, I like it.

Tarte Tarteguard - Likewise, I will be using this all week. Today was the first time and it was fine but nothing spectacular. 

Smashbox X-Rated mascara - Like it so far, going to give it a few more days.

Pinrose Lovebug - the notes on this are cocoa, pomegranate, and amber. I wish the pomegranate came through more. I like it enough to wear the samples I have but I wouldn't purchase it. I get a definite masculine vibe from it. Unfortunately, it's not sexy masculine like bourbon and cigars...more like 15 year old boy at a school dance. 

Love your description - "15 year old boy at a school dance". Bwahahaha!

🙂 I actually felt kinda bad after I said that - I really wanted to like this! 😞

There's just an odd note (on me, at least) that is overwhelming the rest of it. I don't know enough about perfume to know exactly what it is. It reminds me of maybe one of the scents in the old Bath and Body Works men's line. 

I tried out Clinique pep-start eye cream.  It was ok, but not what I expected.  I thought it might have a little zing to it like Origins GinZing but I didn't feel anything.  The consistency is fine and I like the applicator.  I'll use up my sample but won't purchase the full size.  If Origins GinZing came in this type of applicator that would be awesome (I hope you see this Origins).  *wink wink*

I'm pretty flakey at keeping up on these challenges, but I'm going to keep trying!! Lol

LANEIGE WATER SLEEPING MASK 

I tried this last night before going to bed and woke up with some red spots on my skin.  Not quite pimples, but since this was the only new item I used yesterday I put the rest of the foil on my legs today.  

HOURGLASS AMBIANT LIGHT CORRECTING PRIMER

this was ok. I still needed to use a pore filling primer around my nose, but that's normal for me. My make up did last well through the day, but I'm not sure it's something I'd pick up over other primers. 

RITA HAZAN WEEKLY REMEDY TREATMENT

This made my hair feel nice, silky, and it styled well.  I did notice a lot more fallout in the shower after using this than I normally do. I have one more sample left that I'll try to see if it was a one off. 

COVER FX CREAM CONCEALER

This worked ok formula wise on those aforementioned red spots. The formula would be too thick for my under eye I think which I wear I normally use concealers. The colour I had was N light and it was still too dark for me. Will not purchase.

MURAD HYDRO DYNAMIC ULTIMATE MOISTURE

Im still hunting for that perfect moisturizer, this has been the closest since the DE lala.  It felt light, silky, and absorbed nicely. 

Im so impressed with myself for using five foils in one day! I'm going to call this a success if i can manage 31 to average one a day!  Great thread! 

Day 2:

1. Clinique Smart Custom-Repair Serum.  This has a strong but pleasant scent.  It's thick for a serum, but not greasy or oily at all.  This has a ton of ingredients, but no real description of what they do - just lots of bold claims. Didn't seem to layer well - started pilling.

2. Dr. Brandt DNA Transforming Pearl Serum.  Absorbs easily, no noticeable scent.  Not sticky.  I don't see any ingredient on the list that I'd be interested to add to my routine though.

3. Amore Pacific Moisture Bound Refreshing Hydra-Gel.  This is today's winner.  It has a light, fresh scent and feels both cooling and moisturizing.  I really like several of the ingredients here: licorice, bamboo sap, and ginseng.  I would consider buying this.  It could be a good summer moisturizer for me.

4. Clinique Pep-Start Eye Cream.  No complaints, but no miracles either.

IMG_3887.JPG

This is such a good idea, @AMK721! My boyfriend is afraid to look under the bathroom sink, that's how bad my sample hoarding has gotten lol.

Today I tried the REN Evercalm Ultra Comforting Rescue Mask because I had tried the Drunk Elephant Sukari Babyfacial a couple days ago & my skin reacted poorly to it. My skin was red, bumpy, & itchy 😞

The REN mask felt soothing as soon as I put it on & it didn't have a strong scent or a scent at all. It also had a cooling sensation. My skin afterwards looked less red & felt less itchy, & it no longer stung.

I definitely would purchase it because I like that I don't have to be afraid of trying new products or even the occasional flare ups.

Anonymous Insider

Definitely need to try my REN mask sample now. I have sensitive skin so I worry when trying new skincare but this sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the review! 😀

@ohheyitscindyk that REN mask sounds great.  I'll have to check it out. On occasion my skin reacts to a product and I need something exactly like what you describe.  Thanks! 

@AMK721 I think I'll probably use up the sample during this month, with all the sample trying haha! I wish I could try more products each day, but I have such sensitive skin, so I have to limit myself to just one or two a day 😞

Tonight I used up a deluxe size sample (7ml) of Lancome's Visionnaire (have been using for about 2 weeks nightly).

While I like the texture, I was just using to use up my foils and deluxe size samples and I know it is expensive so I would not purchase.

IMG_2417.JPG
I tried this,this evening and I love it.The directions said to tissue off any excess after 10 minutes but my skin had totally absorbed it and my face feels so soft and moisturized right now.

Day 2: Bite Multistick in Cashew from recent sample pack

Wow, I'm impressed! I've been obsessed with everything Bite beauty but we hit a bit of a rough patch with the new Amuse Bouche lipsticks. I think I may be allergic to it but I still wear my lipstick in Rhubarb all the time anyway (I know, I'm a glutton for punishment lol. But seriously this shade is gorgeous). 

So when the multi sticks came out I was a bit gun shy. I've had it on for hours now and so far so good! I love that I was able to use it as eyeshadow, blush and lipstick. It's so awesome and this would seriously be a fantastic emergency purse item. It does it all! 

Id definitely consider buying this full size. I can't wait to try out the other shades in the sampler 😄

Okay, so I went through my samples and decided this month I'll be giving a couple products a good honest run rather than try a bunch of random products that I may not be able to get a good feel for.  

Here's what I'll be attempting to go through this month.IMG_8082.JPG

Those are great samples!  Enjoy!

Good idea, I sure hope you are able to use them all up @heartsmyface

The first set of samples consist of skincare products. 

IMG_3205.JPG

Caudalie Premier Cru eye cream: I've used this now for 3 weeks and have seen an improvement on skin texture and brightness. It's moisturizing without being greasy. On the fence about buying the full size as it s quite pricey.

Amore Pacific Treatment Cleansing Foam: it has quite a strong floral fragrance but it does clean my face without over drying. 

Amore Pacific Future Response Age Defense Serum & Age Defense Creme:  I have used this serum and moisturizer before in the full size and have seen dramatic results. It leaves my skin super soft, glowing, less wrinkled and just amazing. It is my HG combination and I'll definitely buy the full size again once I finish all my samples.

Tatcha The Essence: it is great layered under a serum. It preps the skin and provides that extra boost of moisture. Will purchase in the full size.

Sunday Riley Tidal & Good Genes: I used this two together for over a week and found that while Good Genes was a great exfoliant, it was too strong for my skin as it left me with dry patches even when used in conjunction with Tidal.  

I think it was bath and unwind that had the caudalie eye cream for a great price, about half of what is US. Someone had saw it last month or so at nordstrom rack, may be worth checking if you have one close? @oceanics

@CC3616 Thank you for this! I will definitely check out bath and unwind now. 

Conversation Stats
Photos17
  • Sephora Samples.jpg
  • IMG_3877.JPG
  • IMG_3878.JPG
  • Empty Samples #1.jpg
  • IMG_3205.JPG
  • IMG_8082.JPG
  • IMG_2417.JPG
  • IMG_3887.JPG
  • IMG_2373.JPG
  • IMG_8241.JPG