Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Empties

I love seeing other peoples empties! So I decided to make a board where people could post pictures of their empties, or just tell us about them! I'd also be interested in knowing whether you're repurchasing anything or not.

Re: Empties

@itsfi 

Fortunately, the acetone scent dissipates pretty quickly...by the end of my mani, all I smell anymore is the polish, not the remover 😊

Oh, that I could handle. I’ll give your recipe a go @RGbrown

Yay for catching up on sheet masks, @RGbrown!! Nice empties!!

@haleyvvvv 

Thanks so much! It's nice to finally be in the right decade with sheet mask expiration dates 🤣

January 2021 Empties

Jan 2021 Top Shelf: These are excellent products and ones I consider to be staples and repeated repuchases.Jan 2021 Top Shelf: These are excellent products and ones I consider to be staples and repeated repuchases.

Spoiler

When it comes to AHAs I always come back to these First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads.

Carolina Herrera Good Girl Eau de Parfum - creamy floral, both sweet and smoky that smells oh-so-good I wonder if they make this in a candle?

Peace Out Acne Dots are lifesavers, for acne and maskne.

Voluspa Vanilla Latte is a Sephora Exclusive. Who knew?! Well, we do now. This has such a beautiful (robust) espresso bean note and creamy frothy slightly sweet vanilla base. I so want this in a larger tin size.

Farmacy Honey Potion Renewing Antioxidant Hydration Mask is a HG product. My skin feels so soft, smooth and nourished after this mask.

Anchor & Heart Lacquer Vitamin Sea Cuticle Oil - I received a DS as a gwp and I'm convinced this is why my nails have been growing and staying long, or had been before I ran out.

Dr. Jart+ Cicapair Tiger Grass Nightly Re.Pair Mask has quite a fan base on the masking thread. This was gifted to me by @Shosh85 and it's taken me a while to really give it a good trialing. I know, I know, why so slow? Seriously, I don't know. This is a great overnight mask. My skin looks more calm, less red the next morning. It feels soft and hydrated too.

The combo of Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin Lotion and Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin Cream is superb for dry skin. I like each of the products on their own but together they work so very nicely to leave my skin feeling supple and moisturized. The entire Ceramidin line is fabulous!

L'ancome Monsieur Big Waterproof Mascara is one of my go-to mascaras. The waterproof L'ancome mascaras are all generally well loved by me.

Vitamin C has been something I've delved into over the last year and a half, maybe two years. This Farmacy Very Cherry Bright is one of my favorites.

January 2021 Premium: These are loves and repurchase worthy.January 2021 Premium: These are loves and repurchase worthy.

Spoiler

The Papa Recipe Bombee Pore Ampoule Honey Mask Pack is a new one to this line and like the others, is a good sheet mask for hydrating the skin. It also does a pretty nice job of making skin look and feel clear, soft and smooth. All the sheet masks in this Bombee Honey range have been a hit; this one is definitely one of the ones in the top tier of the bunch.

Voluspa Saijo Persimmon was my introduction to Voluspa candles. It was a favorite then and remains a favorite now.

Sephora Clean Skin Gel Cleanse + Tone makes a fantastic second cleanser or morning cleanser. The scent is typical of skincare products from Sephora; it's not bad but it's not great either. The product itself, however, is pretty great.

I forget how nourishing and brightening the AmorePacific Botanical Radiance Oil is until I come back to it after having been away for a while. 

Sol de Janeiro Brazilian Bum Bum Cream a HG product for me. Smelling like a tropical vacation is never bad in my mind; smelling like one when in lockdown is just good for the soul. 

Sulwhasoo Perfecting Cushion No. 23 (Medium Beige) is a good formula for dry to very dry skin in the winter months, which at that time of the year, I could probably get away with the No. 21 shade. 

Pyunkang Yul Essence Toner and Essence Mist are two of my favorite products from the brand. Over the years, I've tried a few foils of different products and, for the most part, they've been good, though I've never really found an item that I've felt ranks up there with the essences. Well, that was until I used the Pyunkang Yul Moisture Ampoule and Pyunkang Yul Moisture Cream. My dry skin likes both of these products and I can see myself picking up full sizes of both once I make a dent in my bin of full-size skincare items.

I did not want to like the Dior Forever 24H Wear High Perfection Skin-Caring Foundation with Sunscreen, but sometimes things don't go according to plan. 😉

Voluspa Goji Tarocco Orange smells amazing!

By Wishtrend Vitamin 75 Maximizing Cream feels soothing and moisturizing; love that it brightens my complexion as well.

SNP Bio-Cell Mask Double Firming is one of the thinnest bio-cellulose masks I've ever used. I was pleasantly surprised by the firming I experienced with this one around my eyes.

The combination of honey and peptides in the Papa Recipe Bombee Pepta Ampoule Honey Mask makes for a splendid sheet mask for those whose skin, like mine, is in need of nourishment and who find anti-aging benefits a plus.

1.2021 Very Good + Good.jpg

Spoiler

My skin looks and feels so clear, soft, smooth and brightened after using the Tatcha Violet-C Brightening Serum overnight.

There’s a reason Primera Black Seed Cold-Brew Serum is sought after. I only wish I would have tried this sample out sooner. This makes my skin plump and hydrated.

Herbivore Emerald Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Deep Moisture Glow Oil has done a lovely job of calming and reducing redness and darkness from maskne and PIH (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation).

First, let me just say that the Fresh Lotus Youth Preserve Dream Face Cream Super Lotus Night Recovery smells intoxicatingly amazing!!! I had the hardest time pinpointing the slightly fruity, slightly floral notes in this one but was mesmerized by it every time I opened the jar. It is definitely not the signature cucumber scent I often associate with Fresh. The moisturizer itself is lightweight, and a cross between a gel and a cream. It would be better suited for my skin as a moisturizer in the spring / summer months, but works well layered as an overnight mask - and, with that scent, such a pleasant way to call it a night! What I'd really like is for this to be available in a body lotion and/or candle.

Everything Else:

Spoiler
January 2021 OkayJanuary 2021 OkayJanuary 2021 MaybeJanuary 2021 MaybeJanuary 2021 MehJanuary 2021 MehJanuary 2021 NoJanuary 2021 No

January 2021 Empties!

73 in total which I'm happy with.  My year long goal is 730 or 2 a day.  In lieu of project pan this year I'm pulling out some items at the beginning of the month from my collection depths that may be past their prime or that have completely fallen off my radar.  I'm trying to use them a few times during the month to determine if they'll be a declutter or a keep.  I had a couple keeps this month and a couple of declutters.  I'm going to keep the declutters as a part of my empties count since they're still leaving my house.  

All together

350B46FD-CF93-4ECC-985B-0EF0FF762469.jpeg

D19C1CB3-1424-4002-8F51-4F14F941CFB7.jpeg

Loves

Spoiler
-I bought the BB Hairdressers oil I bought in March of 2019.  It lasted forever! I do really like both of these and will likely re-purchase at some point, however I like mixing things up so it may be a while while I try out some new things.
-Feria Conditioner.  I like the hair dye and the conditioner.  I'll keep using them to pretend that I'm not getting old.
-Nivea Cocoa Butter Body Cream was a wonderful scent and texture.  It soaked in in a normal amount of time and I'd grab it again after I use up some body lotion that I already have on hand.
- Lush Bath Bomb.  This one was Golden Wonder.  I don't really have favourites with these, I just like bath bombs that turn my tub a pretty tropical blue.  I'd buy this again.  I think I may have another already actually.
-MAC shadow in Naked Lunch.  When I finished this I went to buy another and thought I'd check out my stash of MAC to see what else I should grab.... well I already had a new one ready to go.  This will go into my back to Mac pile.

3C452FAF-CF3B-4B4F-AB64-AB3BC9F783C9.jpeg

Spoiler
-PTR Water Cloud moisturizer and serum.  These are fine.  I like the serum more than the moisturizer.  The thing for me is that these would be more of a summer product.  They just weren't quite moisturizing enough for me in the winter.  
- Skinfood Strawberry Jam Scrub thing.  I like this.  It smells yummy.  Doesn't taste yummy.  Don't make the same mistake I did and get it in your mouth.  I do like this and if I saw one at a great deal I'd pick up, however my desire to try new things will likely outweigh that and I'd try something new instead.
-Ulta setting spray SPF 50.  Is this the best spray sunscreen out there?  No.  But does it do the job at a great price point.  I use this as a setting spray and a refresher through the day if I'm outside.  I do have another of these and will pick up more when I can get back to an Ulta, however there could be improvements on the spray mechanism it's self. 
-TCFS Pumpkin sleep mask... wish it smelled like pumpkin. 
- Shea Moisture Hair Mask sampler.  This worked wonderfully.  The scent on it was just okay though.  I need to smell/try more from the brand. I love the scent of their African Black Soap.  Need to try out more items in that scent, it's intoxicating.
-Under Eye Patches from Azure, these are pretty awesome.  They're a sheet mask material, not a biogel and are much larger than standard eye patches which I enjoy mutchly. Did they solve my dark under eyes? No.  They were nicely moisturizing though and I'd pick them up if I came across them again.

FC860610-8D2B-4549-B5DE-81BDA632CFBC.jpeg

Okay

Spoiler
-Shower Tabs from Ulta.  I enjoy the idea of these, this scent just wasn't my favourite. 
- Drunk Elephant Tinted SPF.  This is okay if I give time for my skincare to soak in really well first, and don't use make up after.  Otherwise I get pilling.  I have a full size of the non tinted version and it does the same for me.  I'll use up what I have but I've got better sunscreens that I don't need to wait for. 
- I Dew Care Masks - These were okay, they were fun and cute, a few selfie worthy, but nothing to write home about.  I have no issue using them, they just don't offer as much as others I have.  Would be great for a teen or someone with little to no skincare issues/concerns if that makes sense. 
-Kiehls Turmeric and Cranberry Mask - This was okay, but again, I have other masks that have more brightening and radiant effects.  Glad to have tried it out, got several uses out of it and this is really the size of masks I should be buying.
-Klorane Dry Shampoo was fine, it soaked up some oil at my roots, but it wasn't as good as my favourites and didn't have a scent that I enjoyed, though it wasn't offensive. 
-All the masks... These are fine, they fit okay, but not great, and they did offer some hydration/brightening that I get from most masks.  I've been finding my mask collection overwhelming so I just grabbed some that I wanted used up and put them on my washroom counter to toss on after my shower.  I wasn't mad at these, but I am glad to have them gone and to be moving on to others.  

60566767-C2FB-4B70-9FB3-D52B2377656B.jpeg

Nopes

Spoiler
-The alba body lotion was a beautiful scent when I first got it.  It's faded/changed a bit so I used it up on my legs.
-BBW lotions, were also changing in scent due to age.
-OH Scrub.  This smelled way too much like tea tree for my liking. Scrub factor was just okay.
-Leaders Masks left a film on my face.  They were hydrating/moisturising, but I'm not a fan of the film/tack on these ones.  I have more.  Will use up, but wouldn't re-purchase.
-The silver pouches were eye patches that were round in shape.  I had to cut them in half.  That seems odd to me. 
-The little round thing was representative of the Drunk Elephant A-Passioni that was a gift in a gratis package.  I was not a fan of the product, and it was in my toss pile after mostly using it up on my decollate, however my younger cousin was looking to purchase it and I passed it on to her.  She's a big fan.

3D093ECE-D914-47A8-AC09-49C79CCAF966.jpeg

Declutter

Spoiler
-Nozzle on the Bed Head stuff wasn't working.  That's a sign that it was time to go.  You know... along with the fact that I don't remember when I bought it or what it was really for.
-Elf face and eye palette.  I didn't even know I had this.  I believe I bought it along with a bunch of Elf stuff to try out years ago.  It clearly it was swatched then never touched again and stuck in the very back of my palette drawer never to be seen again and completely forgotten about.  I had zero motivation to even test this out this month so it's gone. 
-Little Lancome freebie palette.  I did try this out this month three or four times and it worked okay, but it felt like I was pushing myself to use it instead of the palettes I've bought that I'm really liking.  This was mediocre and so it goes.  
-Stilla smudge pot.  This is something that I used quite a bit of at one point as a navy blue gel liner.  I don't wear tons of colour on my eyes, but I can get into a blue/purple/green liner when I'm feeling fancy.  This is just too much work now since it's dried out quite a bit.  I had to add liquid to it and it just isn't the same as it once was.  I have other navy liners so she's gone.
-Urban Decay Mini in Jilted.  I didn't even use this.  It's however got a greyish film on the edges of the bullet. Super embarrassing.  It looks like bloom that forms on chocolate from the oils in the chocolate, but I'm guessing it's mould. 
-Smashbox mini in Posy Pink.  Same deal as the UD.  Unused, however it's got the same bloom/mould on it. 
-Tarte colour changing PH type lip product.  I think this was a sample, it was well used and I liked it when I used it, but I have lots of these types of products and this is old.  

Wow that elf looks like a less inexpensive version of Natasha Denona Eyeshadow Palette 28 @missjeanie. Nice work on all of your empties! Those are quite a few filler masks I spy😂

@eshoe  lol. all filler masks!  My current mind frame is to get some of the filler ones gone so I can be excited about the ones I have left.  Not too sure that actually makes sense... but we're running with it for however it long it lasts.  I made the error of counting all my sheet masks at the beginning of the year... gotta get masking lol

The elf palette really could be good.  If I'd realized I had it earlier on I would have let my nieces play with it, but it's just plain old now.  I should have done a swatch or two at least before tossing eh?

Yeah, but hey-at least you cleared up a bit of room @missjeanie

You are doing a phenomenal job on those masks. Keep it up, and you’ll be back to restocking with masks you can actually look forward to! Lol

Aw haha I am the exact opposite of you on the Leaders masks; I like them for the tacky feeling it leaves😆 it makes me feel extra dewy. Also!! I have a UD Jilted that I checked recently that had a white coating on it too that I wasn’t sure was bloom or mould bleh. I’m not planning on using it, but as an experiment, I wiped it with some alcohol to see if it would come back. Apparently, if it’s mould it’ll reappear🤷🏼‍♀️ @missjeanie  

@Guessgal I'm finishing off the leaders masks this month and I'm kinda torn.  I do find them super moisturizing... I could probably get away without applying moisturizer after using them... and that's saying something with how dry my skin is of late.  The tackiness does go away after I put the rest of my skincare on.  I think these are a mask that I'm going to have a love/hate thing going on with lol.   Okay now I'm super interested in your UD Jilted experiment!  I know that I wasn't going to wear it either so I wasn't super upset to toss (other than realizing that I'd never worn it... ).  

Great empties and declutters, @missjeanie!! I feel the same about those I Dew Care masks, they're cute but definitely feel more for teenagers IMO. I really like the PTR cloud cream, so am excited to hear that the serum is also good; I'm sorry thy didn't work for winter though.

@haleyvvvv Thanks!  The serum is nice.  I could see it being great for summer.  My extra skin just needs more in the depths of the cold. Have you tried it out?

Ah, I use like a hydrating toner, essence, 4 serums and a facial oil, @missjeanie, so for me, it is enough as a moisturizer, even for my dry skin in Canadia winters (granted I live in a humidity area). And I generally prefer a gel moisturizer during thr day texture wise. I haven't tried the serum, but it's on my list, as well as the mist. I missed the holiday set this year with all of them, unfortunately I have too many moisturizers to buy a new one, lol.

@missjeanie Wow!! Great job!

Wowwy @missjeanie! Look at all those empties and your declutters! 👍🏼 

@itsfi @Thanks! Im super happy with my January progress!

End of January empties!

YTD 45

Notes in the spoiler!

IMG_20210131_164454049.jpg

Spoiler
Left Hand Soap Company Peppermint Sage Sugar Scrub: fantastic product from a local small business, just a basic scrub made with sugar and castor oil. Unfortunately, I way overbought in the past, and let this one sit entirely too long, and as a result, it has gone bad. Sad tears! But I will rebuy in the future, once I finish off a bit more of my scrub stash.

Ulta Crisp Apple candle: when Ulta gets it right, they get it right! Love the scent and the throw on this one; it's a fresh fall apple, not too sweet, borderline dry even, with a hint of woody warmth. Will definitely keep an eye out for it next fall.

Huntington Home Vanilla candle: Aldi, $3.99! I knew Aldi did special holiday candles, which I usually miss, but I feel like a dolt for just discovering that they have some on their cleaning aisle pretty much year round. They are very nice for a $4 candle! The throw is medium-ish on this particular scent...I've had better, but I've also had much worse. This is a warm, creamy vanilla, not overly sweet or cloying, and the candle burned well without any tunneling or any other fussy behavior. I love a good vanilla, and will definitely be buying more of these.

Klorane Nourishing Shampoo with Mango Butter: it doesn't quite compare to my love for FusionPlex, but this is one of the few samples I've tried lately that I actually liked. It cleansed well without overly stripping my hair, and was easy to spread with a nice lather. Would use again.

Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk: Works reasonably well, though I found that the nozzle liked to clog with residue, and then shoot larger dried chunks into my hair...had to start remembering to clean the nozzle before every use. Mildly annoying, but I'd pick this up again with a good deal. It has low residue that disappears easily, and it's not stiff or crunchy or sticky, so it meets my other criteria for a thumbs up.

Sun Bum Tinted Sunscreen Lip Balm: Not quite full on gritty, but it definitely had a bit of a grainy texture, plus, I felt like the color washed me out. Not that it matters sitting around the house, but I jusst couldn't bring myself to finish it with the texture. Declutter.

Guerlain Mon Guerlain EDP: I'm not generally much of a gourmand person, but I really like this one every now and again. Sweet, but with a warmth that helps keep it from being sickly sweet. 

CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion: fantastic basic budget option, plenty moisturizing for me even in winter. I ever so slightly prefer the texture of their regular Daily Moisturizing Lotion, but I have more samples and will happily use it again.

FAB Ultra Repair Cream Candy Cane: I adore mint, but finding a good lotion with mint can be tough...they smell metallic, or have next to no scent, or straight up stink. This was fantastic! Nicely minty, with no metallic or floral undertones. I stockpiled a few when Ulta had them on sale, and will relish pulling one out from time to time. URC isn't my all time favorite hand/body lotion, but it's a nice enough formula for me, especially with the right scent. 

CosRX  AHA/BHA Clarifying Treatment Toner: love this as a budget friendly, gentle acid toner. Have another, and will buy again with a deal. I have other faves, but this is a solid option. 

IMG_20210131_164711770.jpg

Sheet masks, all fine

Hmmmmm knowing that Aldi owns TJ’s, I am interested in trying that candle, @RGbrown. Thank you for the tip and nice work on your empties!

@RGbrown  Good job!!! Those masks look good!

I struggle with finding my balance between "waste not, want not" and "not gonna use it if I don't love it", but early Jan saw me tossing quite a few things I'm just plain old tired of hate-panning. If it doesn't work, I've got no room for it, and there's no sense in saving my true loves for some future date that never seems to arrive. I spent a good bit of 2020 figuring out what works for me and what doesn't, so I'm looking forward to a bit of stability in my routines going forward. I'll try a few things here and there, but barring any drastic changes in my skin or hair, this is going to be the year of sticking mostly to my staples 💕

YTD 30

Notes in the spoilers!

IMG_20210114_165724640.jpg

LOVES

Spoiler
Exuviance Vitamin C Serum Capsules: a really nice formulation of 20% LAA in individual capsules, helping to keep them more stable for longer. I do have one other vitamin C I'm going to try at some point this year (Good Molecules powder), but unless that just blows me out of the water, this is my HG.

CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion: a basic, budget friendly moisturizer with a nice formulation. It doesn't break me out or clog my pores, and I don't feel the need to be spendy on this category. Have more samples, and would buy whenever I run out.

Lip Smackers Dr Pepper lip balm: just plain old fun in a tube. It's not mindblowingly good, but it's not a bad balm, and I adore both the flavor and the price point. It's a cheap daily driver for a balm addict like me lol. Have more and anticipate buying again as well.

Peach & Lily Glass Skin Serum: my skin loves niacinamide, and I'm really liking all the samples of this that I have. I'm not in any need to buy anytime soon as I have several more samples of both this and the Awake brand niacinamide serum, but I'd consider purchasing with the right deal when I need more.

IMG_20210114_165758336.jpg

Sheet masks...all fine. Just using up my stash, but this isn't a category I'll spend much on in the future.

IMG_20210114_165538222.jpg

NOPE

Spoiler
Homeworx Mandarin Pink Grapefruit candle: not citrusy at all, but instead a very perfumey rosy floral. 

Alterna Caviar Replenishing Moisture Priming Leave In Conditioner: a painfully sharp citrus scent to my nose, and I couldn't tell that it did anything at all. Plus, it sprays out in a stream instead of a mist. Declutter.

Cela Essential Balm Miracle Multi-Use Oil: I used this up as a foot cream, and it wasn't bad for that, but it's definitely oily, as implied by the name, which makes it only good for when you're putting on socks. I'd use more samples, but this isn't something I'm looking to replace.

Phyto Phytophanere supplements: I've been using these for a year or more now, admittedly not always good at remembering them everyday, but I think I'm pretty good with remembering them most of the time. All in all, I've noticed no difference in either my hair or nails, so I won't be rebuying these once I finish off my last bottle.

CND Ridge FX Nail Surface Enhancer: I've never seen a texture for a base coat like this before; it makes me wonder if this bottle is super old or otherwise off, or if it's supposed to be like this. It's almost like pudding? Chunky, streaky, and just plain weird. I tried adding some thinner, but that didn't help. I've got other ridge fillers I know I like, so I'm not going to try and "make it work", I've got no patience for that. It was a $2 cart filler anyways, so I'm not out much. Declutter.

PUR 4-in-1 Cloud Cream Gel to Water Hydrating Essence Moisturizer: never felt like it soaked in, and it was incredibly slick feeling. Left my hands so slippery that I'd have to wash them before I could even put my skincare away or move any further in my routine. The scent is light, but it's powdery-slash-perfumey, which doesn't agree with me either. Declutter.

Algenist Splash Absolute Hydration Replenishing Sleeping Pack: a lightweight gel with a nice texture that I liked, but the perfume scent was just too much. Declutter.

Chapstick Total Hydration (Fresh Citrus): a fairly thin balm that didn't last all that long, but for my daytime balm habit, it was fine. However, I've decided long caps aren't really my jam, so this won't be a repurchase.

The One by Frederic Fekkai The Universal One shampoo + conditioner: the shampoo takes some work to spread, and the conditioner is nowhere near enough for my dry ends; I wind up a frizzy mess. Declutter.

Briogeo Be Gentle Be Kind Banana conditioner (gratis): another conditioner that just isn't enough for me, and I've reached my limit with frizz when I know I have products that work better for me. Declutter.

Tonymoly Changing U Peppermint Foot Cream: this was ok, but not rich enough for my taste. The peppermint scent is there, but it leans a bit metallic. I have one more I'll use up, but I'm not looking to rebuy.

Klorane Nourishing Conditioner with Mango Butter: I like the shampoo from this line, but the conditioner isn't enough. Declutter.

Commodity Vetiver: I must be nose-blind to this; I really can't smell much of anything.

MyClarins Recharge Relaxing Sleep Mask: smells like baby powder (yuck!), so this was an instant declutter.

Follain Moisturizer Replenish + Protect: fairly thin texture, but felt perhaps a bit too heavy for me. Rosy scent that I could do without as well. Declutter.

Pacifica Pineapple Splash lip balm: nothing special, but not terrible, this is another long-cap balm that I won't rebuy.  

IGK Thirsty Girl Coconut Milk Conditioner: I really liked this in conjunction with the matching shampoo (but I felt like I had to use a ton of the shampoo to get clean, which made it a nope for me), but this didn't work nearly as well with other shampoos in my stash and left me frizzy.

testing