Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: RE: Fragrance Junkie Central

@Mochapj  I'll have to check this one out.  

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

Another new release from Serge Lutens, Fils de Joie. The notes are jasmine, ylang ylang and musk. I love Lutens' other jasmine, Sarrasins, so am definitely curious about this one. Also, I have to share the "ad copy," which I put in scare quotes because it is pretty emo. I got this off the Basenotes forum and couldn't find it anywhere else but if this is the real deal, Uncle Serge does not seem to be paying any heed to corporate marketers!

This text can be taken as a declaration of my penultimate will. In order to escape what we must see and hear, I have decided to hasten death. But to save the embalmer from conducting the ceremonial rites of a funeral, I have also vowed to wait for my time lying down in a coffin. Nevertheless, keeping with the prescribed physical regime of less fat, ‘less sugar, less salt’, I have instructed the funeral workers to place some beer at the centre of one of the shrines located at the back of a cemetery. This life hasn't loved me; and so I hate it.

Hating is also a way of existing, a way to keep us from the inevitability of being forgotten. The name ‘Fils de joie’ (which means son of joy) invites laughter. This laugh is not the halting guffaw of socialites that seeks to distance. It is rather the laugh of the disillusioned which bursts forth without reason. The laughter of those who drown their joy and their mascara in their tears, like that of ‘Reine’ [The Queen], the owner of the Plantis Café at the place du Vieux marché aux chevaux back in Lille. She didn't drink but was always in a state of intoxication. Only half of her was visible, as she stood behind the counter, wiping glasses and arranging bottles. When she would emerge from her position, she would be as surprised as anyone to discover that she did indeed have legs. Her laugh was full-throated. One often refers to voices like these as hoarse or guttural, but in fact they are crackling, like a record that has been scratched from overuse. Held captive by a past that she would have liked to spit out, but which sprang forth from the depths of her laughter. Her joy was unaffected yet devoid of illusion. Each of her selves was the last. I forgot to mention that at the time, she let out two rooms at the top of the café to regulars to help them make ends meet. Under her rule, a young boy, who was already a courtesan, took in the scene. And under the smoky spell of a song by Fréhel, it was I that became... the Son of joy!”

“A laugh awaits a sentence, a word or a situation to proclaim itself. A laugh may burst forth or be stifled by a hand that tries to contain it. But if it is sincere, it cannot be contained. On the skin, its fragrance is Lady-of-the-Night, a paradoxically radiant scent!!” 

fils-de-joie-600-d8703

@pocketvenus, the scent itself sounds fabulous - I love ylang ylang. I will say that the ad copy is something else 😁

RE: Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

@pocketvenus Ive come to expect a fair amount of eccentricity from the house but even this is a little over the top 🤣

Re: RE: Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

@Mochapj This definitely sets some kind of bar, though I'm not sure for what 😛

Rebecca Minkoff to Launch First Fragrance. The eponymous Eau de Parfum will hit stores this month, and could spell further beauty expansions for the designer.

Spoiler

Rebecca Minkoff is bringing her rocker-chic aesthetic to the world of fragrance.

Minkoff is launching Rebecca Minkoff Eau de Parfum with The Premiere Group. Available in three different sizes, the new scent will be available at Macy’s, Belk, Von Maur, QVC and rebeccaminkoff.com, with prices ranging from $30 to $95. It will also be available for Scentbird members. Industry sources estimate $10 million in retail sales for the scent’s first year on the market.

Despite requiring a drastically different skillset from design, Minkoff said she had a clear vision for the fragrance since before its inception. “Fragrance is always something I’ve wanted to launch, and for a smaller brand such as ours, the opportunities were few and far between,” she said. “From the beginning, I had clear ways of how I wanted to think about fragrance, with sustainable packaging and ingredients, and [The Premiere Group] was on board.”

i0081706-843711246219-rm-100ml-bottle-and-box-front.jpg 

@ZombieMetroAnt Notes are said to be bergamot, cardamom, jasmine and tobacco. I love cardamom!

Jerome Epinette is back at it with a new release for Floral Street, Arizona Bloom.

fs-ab

Fragrantica describes it as an Oriental Spicy unisex fragrance. Notes are listed as coconut, black pepper, salt, musk, jasmine, oakmoss, amber, fig leaf and cashmere wood. Sounds nice to me, although I personally see zero connection between coconuts and Arizona.

RE: Fragrance Junkie Central

Artilier cologne vanilla intensee. THE BEST

Gucci is releasing a new Bloom flanker, Profumo di Fiori. 

Another Morillas release, this latest chapter highlights the freshness, floral quality and depth of Tuberose. It offers a contemporary twist to the first scent in the range, Gucci Bloom Eau de Parfum. Profumo di Fiori offers a blend of Tuberose Essence heart notes, with Jasmine Sambac Absolute and Ylang Ylang flower top notes, balanced by a warm musky blend of Sandalwood, Oris Concrete and Benzoin notes as its base.

Does anyone have a favourite Bloom version? I think mine might be Gucci Bloom Acqua di Fiori Eau de Toilette For Her 3.3 oz/ 100 mL Eau de Toilette Spray I love green scents and this one is a very approachable, wearable green.

As an aside, the ad campaign for the Profumo flanker is by Floria Sigismondi who some might remember as the Canadian behind the Marilyn Manson music videos. So it comes as no surprize that this one is a little darker than previous campaigns 💀

pocketvenus_0-1596307485260.png

@pocketvenus I really like Gucci Gucci Bloom Limited Edition but I think my fave is also Gucci Bloom Acqua di Fiori Eau de Toilette For Her 3.3 oz/ 100 mL Eau de Toilette Spray !

@greeneyedgirl107 💚💚💚 

A couple new releases today, starting with new permanent additions to Jo Malone called the Lost in Wonder collection.

jml-fig-433x600

The line features two scents, Fig & Lotus Flower, a graceful and light floral Cologne, water-fresh flower petals balancing the sweet juiciness of ripe fig and

Cypress & Grapevine, in the Cologne Intense range, an aromatic fragrance with evergreen foliage. The intensity of the scent is grounded with a dry down of amber.
https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fwp-content%2Fblogs.dir%2F6%2Ffiles%2F2020%2F07%2Fle-labo-seoul-exclusive-perfume-citron-28-1

Le Labo's next city scent, Citron 28 will be based in Seoul. A combination of freshness and structure, “Citron 28” features notes of lemon, ginger and jasmine atop a base of cedar and musk. Developed based on the original “Citron Boheme,” the fragrance expresses the balance between the original and the conservative.  

@pocketvenus Both of these seem like interesting scents.  I love many of Jo Malone's fragrances.

Le Labo’s city exclusives event is coming soon and for this year they are introducing a new scent Citron 28 (Seoul)

It features notes of lemon, ginger and jasmine atop a base of cedar and musk.

@Mochapj Very interesting concept.  

I wish they had a discovery set with all the city exclusives!

@Cyncynn I believe they do but they also only sell it for a limited period; usually the month leading up to the city exclusives drop.

@Mochapj @Cyncynn I've seen these but I think it's only available at Le Labo boutiques and not department store counters. And yes, not available year round.

p.s. I totally missed your post the first time around Mochapj, so I re-posted the news! 

I just received a free sample of Lipstick Fever💄 from Juliette Has a Gun Mini Trio Gift Set and I love it!

I usually don't like perfumes since they smell too sweet or floral, but this is different.  In their description, it says Lipstick Fever smells floral and fruity but I personally don't smell that.  To me, it smells more woody and maybe a bit spicy.

I think this perfume is like the red lipstick of perfumes.  Great for a night out!

@RAWRitsRED nice! Curious how this compares to Lipstick On by Margiela 💄

4 Replies
testing