Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Everything Eyes
|

eye shadow for older eyes - help?!

I am in my mid-40s, and I have not purchased eye shadow in almost a decade! I just haven't bothered since having kids. Now I have more time, and I am TOTALLY out of the loop. I want to avoid shimmer. Can you suggest some good eye shadows for older eyes? Thank you!

Re: eye shadow for older eyes - help?!

@amys  Start with finding a really good eyecream, and a really good primer, until I did this I wasn't having any luck at all. Now shadows I previously had tried without success are fine. I can recommend tart, matte and shimmer, but they were hard to blend without a creamy base or primer. Also explore cream shadows in a pot, not stick form. Have fun experimenting !

thank you! i just grabbed a new one to try.

I like the Givenchy cream shadows (non-glitter formulas).  They swipe on easily for days when you don't have time and they are very blendable should you decide to get adventurous.  I like Marc Jacobs and Dior palettes, too - but it can be hard to find a full trio/quad/+ that aren't too sparkle-y for the value (Dior in particular).

thanks. i have not tried these brands. i will check them out!

I'm 41 and it's turning out to be a weird transitional age for me in terms of makeup and clothing.  I have a horror of wearing things too young.  (I have a relative who insists on doing this and I don't want to get the looks she gets.)  But I don't want to dress like my grandma, either.  So I get where you're coming from.

I find myself loving creme eyeshadow lately, especially Tom Ford.  If you don't have time for full-on makeup, you can even swipe it on by itself.  

For makeup in general, go to Sephora, find the oldest salesperson there, and ask them for advice.  I found a lady slightly older than myself and she pointed me to the best foundation I've ever had.  The Sephora people know their stuff, so they're a great resource.  Also, try reading Makeupandbeautyblog.com.  Karen is 42 and has great taste in makeup.  (And is also hilarious.)

thanks for the tips. i am also scared of looking like i'm trying to look to young and really just looking like a fool 🙂

RE: eye shadow for older eyes - help?!

I second the need for a good eye primer. Urban decay primer anti aging is a good one- or Laura Mercier eye basics. Matte eye shadow will definitely be best but a little shimmer in the center of your lid is flattering as well. Try to stick to neutral colors in the beginning. Probably best to have one of the store make up artists show you how to do a basic eye. They can recommend eye shadows that would be best for your coloring. Have fun with it!

Try some of the eye primers - especially if you have any "crepe". I am trying to re-discover eyeshadow and it is a whole new ballgame with the wrinkled eyelid drama!!! Sephora has a lot of them that are sample size so you can find one that suits you.

Hi @amys! I am a big Viseart fan and their matte shadows are incredible. But if you're just getting back into the makeup game, you might not want to jump straight to these because they are a bit pricey. However if you do a price break down, I've heard each pan in a palette averages about $6 and some odd cents. And I can vouch for the quality — no fallout, great blendability, and great color payoff. Plus they last forever, really!

But if you'd like to ease into this, I can recommend ABH's Modern Renaissance palette. There's some shimmer in there, but as someone else said, shimmer can be OK on the lid. For older eyes, it seems shimmer can sometimes become an issue in the crease or browbone area. I have hooded eyes and I have to be careful about shimmers there, too. The shimmery colors in this palette aren't too over the top, either, so you might want to check it out.

RE: eye shadow for older eyes - help?!

I recommend looking at laura mercier eyeshadow palettes or if you want zero shimmer palettes try the natural eyes matte palette from Too Faced! But a matte in the crease and a shimmer on the lid is okay for a woman at any age

Re: RE: eye shadow for older eyes - help?!

Amen sister!

@amys Maybe this one from Tarte:

Tartelette.  It has a nice variety, and is matte.

Good luck!

thank you! i will check it out!

Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 19 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing