Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Everything Eyes
|

Under eye cracking with EVERY concealer

Hi everyone! 💋 Question, I’ve used high end and drugstore concelears for my under eye circles and no matter what technique I use I always crease. Does this happen to anyone else? I moisturize the under eye every time, I’ve used a beauty blender, brush, and my fingers to apply the concealer. I’ve tried setting with powder and not setting powder. I’m not sure what’s wrong? HELP!

Re: Under eye cracking with EVERY concealer

I would try adding a drop or smaller  of facial  oil with the concealer. For me, it does make it look less wrinkly and powdery 🙂 @courtneyamaral 

RE: Under eye cracking with EVERY concealer

I have one specific under eye line that basically cannot 100% disappear with any makeup. Ive tried different techniques, and what I’ve found is that the less you put, the better it looks. So i put a concealer that is lightweight, and i put just a bit of undereye powder to set it and it seems to be working, the line is alotttt less noticeable. So the less product you use there, the better it looks imo 🌟

Re: Under eye cracking with EVERY concealer

Hi @courtneyamaral ! If you have any lines under your eyes and you apply concealer over them, then your concealer’s probably going to crease. 🙂 I’ve tried more brands’ concealers than I can count right now and, despite any “creaseless” claims, they ALL crease. There’s no such thing as a creaseless concealer unless, I dunno, you have zero undereye lines and never make facial expressions (like smiling) that cause lines to appear there. It’s definitely not just you. 

Here’s what I do to avoid creasing: 

1. “Over-moisturize” the undereyes. I do this whether or not I use concealer, otherwise that skin is very dry. (I have mostly-dry combo skin.) I tap a little water under my eyes, just enough to dampen the skin. I immediately follow with a layer of moisturizer. I wait a minute or 2, then apply a second layer of moisturizer. Wait another minute or 2, then apply a 3rd layer if needed. In very cold or dry weather, I’ll do 4 or even 5 layers under my eyes—and I usually layer a plumping facial oil with my cream moisturizer. Then I apply sunscreen under my eyes, which we should all do each day during daylight hours. 🙂 

2. Don’t apply foundation to the undereyes. I don’t use liquid foundation, but I do occasionally use a tinted moisturizer or a powder foundation. I try to avoid my undereye area with it because the more layers of non-skincare product I put there, the greater the chance of caking. 

3. Use a primer under the eyes. Doesn’t have to be a special undereye primer, though I do like SMASHBOX - Photo Finish Hydrating Under Eye Primer: it helps my concealer sit better in my textured tear troughs. I was using it each time I applied concealer, but I’ve decreased usage lately because my color corrector (Bobbi Brown Under Eye Corrector Porcelain Bisque) sometimes behaves kinda like a primer, providing a base for my concealer. If you try this, your mileage may vary if your tear troughs aren’t very textured like mine. Sometimes I only use the color corrector, with no concealer. 

4. Avoid lines when applying concealer, and don’t apply too thick a layer. This is tricky depending on where and why you use concealer under your eyes. I don’t use it to brighten the center of my face. I usually apply a very small bit of concealer just in my tear troughs; I don’t bring it completely out under my eyes. That’s because I’m just trying to mask some discoloration in my tear troughs. Instead of concealer, I rely on my Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette of finishing powders for the “my natural skin tone but brighter” look I prefer. 

5. Buff concealer out of any covered lines. Some mornings I look zombified and feel I must bring my concealer further out than usual. 😄 That means I end up covering some of my lines with it. Once I apply concealer, I move on to something else for a few minutes, then come back to my undereyes. I very gently pull my undereye skin down to expose those crevices where I can see concealer caked into my lines, then I lightly buff that excess product out of my lines with a finger. (I don’t use beauty sponges, but you could use one for this if you prefer.) I always do this before I set the concealer. 

6. Use the tiniest bit of setting powder necessary. I don’t bake my undereyes with lots of powder. I use such a small amount, you’d think it wouldn’t do anything at all. This technique is a true test of your setting powder’s abilities. The one I use is By Terry Hyaluronic Hydra-Powder: this stuff’s pricey, but it’s a rockstar. I need so little for each undereye, you can just barely see it on my brush before I apply it—yet it locks my concealer in place all day, even in sweltering hot weather. There are other good powders out there, of course, Even if you choose to bake, you can still use just a tiny bit of powder for that. Even when I use the Hourglass Ambient Lighting powders under my eyes for brightening, I buff them over my setting powder; I find the AL finishing powders can’t perform like a setting powder, at least not on my skin. 

Hope some of this was helpful! 

RE: Re: Under eye cracking with EVERY concealer

THANK YOU! I will try these techniques and look into the products you mentioned! 😊
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 12 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing