Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Everything Eyes
|

How to get pigmentation from eyeshadow

I have been trying to get better at eyeshadow lately. I have really nice quality pallets like Anastasia "Rivera" pallet, Jeffree Star "Blue Blood", and Morphe's Jaclyn Hill original pallet. I see so many people using these pallets, and the pigmentation looks amazing, when I use it, it looks muddy and the colors show up dull. I know a lot of times on Instagram makeup artists will face tune, but even on youtube videos, the colors apply amazing for them. I have tried concealer and the NYX eye jumbo pencil in "Milk" on my lids try and get pigmentation. I have tried packing on the colors too and they still look awful. It is really discouraging. I feel like I am doing everything right though so I am not sure what is wrong.IMG_5675.CR2.jpg

RE: How to get pigmentation from eyeshadow

use the MAC paint pot to prime your eyelids. if you don’t want to spend the money try using your concealer instead and then applying a setting power right after so it’s not sticky..it will help the pigmentations and so that it’s not so muddy looking.

Try using a Mac paint pot and don’t set it so your base is tacky this will help. The P. Louise base is also supposed to be very good as well. These aren’t sold at Sephora but you can get them online. You could also try using a white concealer and just not setting it before eyeshadow application too. Also try packing on the color to the intensity you like before blending them out even a little. It seems strange to do this but I find it helps a lot.

Another urban decay primer user here
Anonymous Insider

Shoot, I just ordered the NYX milk pencil for that same reason... (and I won't start on how I paid $18 for overnight shipping yet I won't get it for 3 more days...) I've been using primer, tried primer then foundation, foundation then primer... color doesn't pop for me although from your pic you've gotten better results than me... if you find a solution please share!!!

I never go without a primer. My fave is the one by Urban Decay and I find that the one by Milani is a good dupe. I also like to use a concealer and set my eyes with powder too or use a Mac paint pot.

I like to use the Hangover face primer by too faced first on my eye lids then I wet my brushes with some setting spray and I find that really helps all of the colors pop on my eye lids.
Anonymous Insider

What setting already do you use?

What setting already do you use?

Re: How to get pigmentation from eyeshadow

Definitely recommend a primer! UD's is my personal favorite. I will sometimes set my primer with a translucent powder if I want a softer look. Don't set it if you want bolder colors, just pack the shadow onto the primer.

Wet shadows will also pack more punch than dry. You can use just water, though definitely spray it on versus dunking the brush in water or running it under the faucet. If you want more staying power, then I'd recommend a setting spray. Even a cheap one will make a big different.

If you want something that wouldn't necessarily be blended into other colors, like the start of a cut crease or if you want a bold or glitter shadow as liner, then a mixing medium would be great too, though it is a bit messier. Looking at the picture you posted, this method would be great for the gold shadow you have. I have one from NYX that works well. It's this translucent gel, that what I will do is get a good amount of power on a brush, squirt a little mixing medium onto the back of my hand, and mix there. Bring the shadow to the mixing medium and not the other way around, or else it can effect the consistency of the shadow in the pan. From there, you can apply it. You can also carefully apply the mixing medium in a thin layer on the eye where you want the bold color and then apply shadow over top while it's wet with a patting motion. If you do this, make sure you don't have the mixing medium shift or end up on parts of your lid that you don't want the color.

I would really look into buying an eyeshadow primer. Primers are supposed to make shadows look more saturated in color while also increasing staying power with little to no creasing. My favorites are Too Faced Shadow Insurance and Nars Smudge Proof. Concealers and NYX "Milk" are more like color bases. They're made to have more slip with pigment mixed in that can interfere with how colored products look when placed on top. I've used NYX "Milk" in the past and the shadows I used ended up looking really bad, like a toddler did my makeup bad. I suggest you only use "Milk" if the shadows you plan to use have a significant amount of white (pastel colors) and you want more opacity. I don't like concealer because my eyeshadows still look dull when compared to using only an eyeshadow primer. It could also be the eyeshadow quality vs. your ideal preference. ABH is my least favorite formula. I find that my shadows/palettes from them all go muddy or fade throughout the day, even if I set my lids with powder. My other brands don't do that, not even UD and UD is thought of to be "inferior." I have Blood Sugar from JS and I find that those shadows tend to apply slightly sheerer and brighter than the pan... a lot of shadows across brands aren't as opaque as they are in the pan. JS isn't my ideal formula but I like it way more than ABH. I've never tried Morphe so I can't speak on their quality and my experience with them. Also, just because someone doesn't use facetune on their videos and photos doesn't mean they changed saturation and contrast. Studio lighting tends to be very bright while the actual lighting in the room is dark/no lights. That setup creates a much more dramatic saturation and contrast situation (check out Pat McGrath product videos on her instagram). Lastly, unless you're doing photoshoots, stage, and/or performance makeup, you really don't need to have super saturated eye makeup. Super saturated makeup can be a bit too jarring in day to day life. Keep in mind that a lot of the people you see on social media are trying to sell or show off a product. To make it marketable, photo, video, and lighting maniplation with editing are often used. You can enhance video and photo without pushing it to the realm of "overdone" and "fake."

@Euro20 , IMO, sometimes it's just the palette and its formulation.  Like I love UD's backtalk palette, but it doesn't show up super pigmented on me.  It gives me nice, soft neutral looks, daytime friendly.

I like how you have the shadows in your pic, but I get that you're probably expecting a ka-pow kind of effect.  As mentioned, try a setting spray on your brush, or when you're packing on shadows, try wetting your flat brush a tiny bit and see if that makes a difference.

Also, have you tried using different brushes with different palettes?  Some of my more powdery palettes I make sure I use brushes that diffuse a lot more.  I also try to build up the color, so while a little more time consuming, I go back and add more of my base color, then I deep the crease with more color, etc.

As for muddy colors, I also try to use a colorswitching sponge with my brushes, that way I don't have any leftover (or just less) pigment on my brush.

Are there any brushes you would recommend me trying?

I think any fluffy tapered brush that fits well with your...

I think any fluffy tapered brush that fits well with your eye shape. I like Sephora's featherweight brush, #38, but again the shape that fits really nicely in your crease will do. For me, I don't actually put my crease color in my crease, it goes into the socket/orbital bone.

SEPHORA COLLECTION - PRO Featherweight Crease Brush #38

SEPHORA COLLECTION - PRO Tapered Crease #19

Sigma E39 Buff and Blend - This is a handy one if the shadow is dark but patchy, enough circular motions with this makes it smoke out nicely

Again, I would use these brushes for gradual build up, like with an ABH formula.

This also just occurred to me, sometimes I use a white cream eyeliner in (SEPHORA COLLECTION - Colorful Shadow & Liner - 32 Let It Snow) in a concealer/cut crease fashion, and then pat on the lighter shadow with a brush.

11621148-B454-4014-A6B2-D748A0774315.jpeg

This is a look I did with then MorphexJH palette without anything other then a shadow primer - this shot is also raw/unedited. Brushes do play a big role in how shadows apply too! What brushes are you using?

I have a mix of different brushes I use because a lot of them came from ipsy bags. 

These are the  brushes I use the most when doing my eyeshadow. From top to bottom i

From top to bottom: "Vasanti" contour eyeshadow 4, BH Cosmetics domed blending brush, Anastasia Beverly Hills brush from their palette (I only use the packet end), BH Cosmetics pencil brush, Too Faced liner brush (for highlight on brow or inner corner), Real Technique #201, and a random flat packer brush that I use for glitter.From top to bottom: "Vasanti" contour eyeshadow 4, BH Cosmetics domed blending brush, Anastasia Beverly Hills brush from their palette (I only use the packet end), BH Cosmetics pencil brush, Too Faced liner brush (for highlight on brow or inner corner), Real Technique #201, and a random flat packer brush that I use for glitter.

Having a good skincare routine? You’re moisturising or using eye cream before priming?

Re: RE: How to get pigmentation from eyeshadow

I do my skincare routine every day, which includes a moisturizer. I also use the Tarte eye brightening cream before doing my eye makeup.

Have you tried using a setting spray on your brush, @Euro20  ? I do that when using glitters or brighter colours to get a better payoff. I also use an eye primer 🙂 The NARS Pro-Prime™ Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base Original

Hope this helps!

I use a setting spray for all my glitter shadows, but I never knew you could use it for matte shades! I'll definitely try! Thank you 🙂 

@Euro20 and try to pick a spray that contains glycerin (like Mac Fix+) because it's the glycerin that helps makeup "melt".

19 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 34 Hearts Given
  • 14 Contributors
Photos4
  • IMG_5675.CR2.jpg
  • 11621148-B454-4014-A6B2-D748A0774315.jpeg
  • From top to bottom: "Vasanti" contour eyeshadow 4, BH Cosmetics domed blending brush, Anastasia Beverly Hills brush from their palette (I only use the packet end), BH Cosmetics pencil brush, Too Faced liner brush (for highlight on brow or inner corner), Real Technique #201, and a random flat packer brush that I use for glitter.
testing