cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|

Ride the WAVE with me

Hey all,

My hair was a beautiful 3B my teen and college years. After issues with hormones and kids I have only wave left. It is frustrating not knowing how to style your hair anymore. My hair is now 2B, 2C would be an excellent day.

I plan to have a no-buy for makeup for one year (started Nov 2018) and focus on finding the right hair products. I want to take the process gradually and give things time.

I started using Devacurl in Spring 2018. I had low-poo, one condition, and arc angel gel. My hair looked and felt like straw and was not getting any curl back so I stopped using all three products.

In October I chopped off a lot of hair for donation and hoped to get some bounce back. The stylist (Deva certified) recommended no-poo, one condition, coconut styling cream, and b-leave in gel. The routine was okay but I wanted more out of my hair.

Over the past week I changed my styling product to arc angel gel. I know, I know, the stylist and others have already said it was too heavy for my hair. I just wanted to experiment and find what product caused my hair to turn to straw in the spring. Arc angel seems to be in the clear. But since it isn't helping with any curl, I will pass it on to my 3C/4A mom.

I plan to resume the last routine and see how it goes or if it still seems lackluster. My one condition is almost out but I have a one condition delight. I want to see how my hair reacts to this.

I also have samples of Decadence. I believe it will likely be too heavy but it is time to find what works and what doesn't.

So here begins my hair journey. Hoping to either learn to ride the waves or return to curl.

Re: Ride the WAVE with me

That is scary @Ispend2much6! Glad to hear that your hair is starting to regrow. Thank you very much!

Your hair looks great, @Loretta55 ! 🥰  I was having the same problem and that's what my stylist suggested too plus putting in shorter layers.  I couldn't believe the difference 3 or 4 inches and better layering could do! 😄

I really could not believe the difference that a haircut made @Titian06 . I just realized that I did not review Verb Curl Foaming Gel 6.7 oz / 200 mL properly. I applied the product to my hair and brushed it through so I could evenly apply to my wet hair . I then scrunched by curls and toweled my hair with a microfiber towel. I let it air dry. I had no cast. My hair felt very soft. I slept wearing my Grace Eleyae Adjustable Slap Satin-Lined Cap Olive and scrunchie. I never took my hair out of the scrunchie for 3 days because my workplace is humid. When I removed my scrunchie because I wanted to wear my hair down, the curls for the most part were intact. Only the front pieces needed refreshing. 
Hope to see more people posting their wavy hair journey. Shout out to @ShortErica ! I miss talking to you.

Thanks for the further info, @Loretta55 !  I added the Verb product to my Loves list.  I'm always looking for something that will be great.  I still need to invest in a microfiber towel and a slap cap.  They just never seem to make it to the top of my list. 😏🤷‍♀️

This may be the perfect time to get these items @Titian06. Ulta has a deal buy on line pick up in store for 5X points. The Verb product will get you an additional 3X points. My favorite microfiber towel is from DevaCurl.

If you purchase from Sephora, with a $75.00 purchase you can earn an additional 500 points.

cool hair~~

Bump

Hi friends! Have any of you tried the Curlsmith line? Unfortunately the new Living Proof line isn't working out as well as I'd hoped, so I'm back on the hunt for a shampoo, conditioner, and light defining cream. 

I didn’t like the Living Proof stuff either!  What a disappointment.  I’m looking for something to calm down tangles and frizz.  I’m using Kendra right now, but there’s got to be something better.  

Hey, wave riders!  Today was my turn to get my hair done.  Nothing dramatic like @CarolBT , only 1" or so, but what a huge difference!  My hair feels so much lighter and my curls have some definition.  I talked to my stylist about possibly doing some highlights next time--we'll see.  I haven't done that in years!

20210302_162550.jpg

@Titian06  Wow beautiful curls!!!!! What do you use in your hair??

@ather - I use Seed Phytonutrients Anti-Frizz Cream.  I also use Bumble and bumble Surf Styling Leave In 5 oz/ 150 mL and DevaCurl B'LEAVE-IN™ Miracle Curl Plumper.  But the Anti-Frizz Cream is my favorite.

@Titian06  I will have to see if that anti frizz one is available in Canada!! Thank you!! 

Your hair looks great, @Titian06!

Thank you so much, @curlychiquita !  💖💖💖

Your hair looks gorgeous @Titian06. You are correct that even a small tweak to your Chan make a big difference!

Sorry darn auto correct @Titian06. I meant to say that even small tweaks to your hair make a big difference.

Thanks, @Loretta55 !  Yes, autocorrect and I don't always get along.  Of course, you don't notice until after you hit send or post! 😄

Hi Beloved BIC, I made a big change this weekend and I cut off 17 inches of hair. What!? That's a lot! 

Now that my natural wave is on display, I'd love to keep it that way. I'm looking for recommendations on your favorite curl enhancers, curl definers (is that a thing? curl definer?), root lifts, sea sprays, etc. What do you love and why? Here’s a before and after:

CarolBT_0-1614637478609.jpeg

@CarolBT Your hair looks beautiful! Unfortunately the product journey is truly trial-and-error, which can be fun if you're a product junkie but also a little frustrating. I've learned that on my fine-thick-wavy (2b) hair, wave sprays don't do very much, foams and mousses are fine but I haven't found one I love, and most creams/butters are way too heavy. I've also learned that application technique can be almost as important as the products themselves. 

For a lazy wave day, I smooth in a light leave-in followed by the Davines Oil Non-Oil, then air dry. If I really want to pop the curl, the process is more involved: while I'm still in the shower, on very wet hair with my head upside-down, I smooth in a light cream (like Living Proof Curl Enhancer Conditioning Cream 6.7 oz/ 200 mL ), then take a tiny bit more and start to scrunch. I then take a quarter-sized amount of my favorite gel - Ouidad Climate Control - and scrunch that in. Flip my head rightside-up, take a tiny bit more gel and scrunch through the back 'cause it tends to get goofy. I blot the excess water with a t-shirt or curly tee towel, then air dry or diffuse depending on the day. It sounds RIDICULOUS when I type it out, but it truly makes a difference! 

Have fun on your hair journey!

@tastelikewater Thank you for the tip on the Living Proof! I just got Virtue Hydrating Curl Defining Whip with Shea Butter and Virtue Mini 6-in-1 Vitamin E Hair Smoothing Styler 2 oz/ 60 mL and so far so good. I'm doing the no-towel-rubbing thing and only scrunching in the product while leaning my head to the side. So far, so good!

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos145
  • 20181120_111654.jpg
  • 20181120_111749.jpg
  • A "good" day: Delight s&c, WaveMaker, Amika gel.
  • 20181122_195439.jpg
  • 45953559-A911-4CE7-9251-2B7B2D50E504.jpeg
  • 0D5A6526-A320-4820-915E-661BEAD0D8F2.jpeg
  • 20181126_132138.jpg
  • 20181126_132142.jpg
  • 20181126_132131.jpg
  • 20181126_132118.jpg
  • 3F1ACBDD-5905-4DED-88A5-28E354193400.jpeg
  • 5DE4FB2F-050E-4AB3-BCC6-F341FDBE9873.jpeg
  • 10698395_10153310875226111_5504507754087887955_n.jpg
testing