cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club
|

2021 Foundation Challenge: Tag Your Complexion Routine Then vs. Now

FoundationChallenge2021.png

We can’t help but notice how much our “MOTD” (makeup of the day) – especially our complexion routines – has changed over the past year. With many of our social engagements gone virtual, bedrooms turning into home offices, and maskne becoming a new skin obstacle we never thought we’d have, we’re so curious: How has your foundation routine changed from a year ago compared to now?

Maybe you’ve ditched your full primer-concealer-foundation-powder routine and switched to something a bit simpler. Maybe you’ve found a new favorite tinted moisturizer or lightweight skin tint to match your pared-down schedule. Or maybe your foundation go-tos haven’t changed at all – anything to keep up some kind of routine, ya know?

For this Challenge, we want you to tag your typical complexion routine from a year ago – aka “THEN” (primers, concealers, setting powders count too!), and then below that, tag your current typical complexion routine “NOW.” We can’t wait to see how your makeup has changed to suit the times – and also see how many of you are still staying faithful to your same holy grails! It’s all fair game.

Click the “Reply” button below and tag your favorite foundation/complexion products THEN vs. NOW! Just type the “#” symbol before each product!

Re: 2021 Foundation Challenge: Tag Your Complexion Routine Then vs. Now

@itsfi  I'm liking it so far quite a bit! It's natural looking and non-cakey. I think the coverage is probably pretty buildable...I need to play around with that a bit more. I haven't been applying a whole lot of foundation with being home and all, but this seems to do a nice job evening out my skin tone for zoom meetings! 🙂 I haven't had any blemishes or anything to cover up, so I'll have to wait to see how it works for that.

Thank you @PrettyPaint ‌‌🤗 for your thoughts on the foundation - it sounds nice. I'll put it on my list for the next sale. How accurate did you find the online descriptions about the particular shades? "I haven't had any blemishes or anything to cover up, so I'll have to wait to see how it works for that." I hope you never have to put that to the test. Boo to blemishes! 

@itsfi  I really should haven't have said that because I woke up with a pimple on my nose. Serves me right for saying that...haha. 

I feel like I'm not very good at shade matching, and I've never been professionally matched. I basically just went by the models in the images and chose what most looked like my skin tone. 

I just took a quick photo of 13P which is light with pink undertones. I think it seems to work well, especially because it's a natural finish. My best approximation of my mac shade is NW20-25, but again, I don't feel like I'm that great at identifying undertones. I think this matches, but let me know if I seem totally off!

13P13P

Awww, thank you for swatching the foundation @PrettyPaint! I'm not great at shade matching either; I just know when the shade is really off. Hahaha! 😂🤣😂 The swatch looks like it matches the description and that helps to narrow it down. 

I'm so sorry about the unexpected visitor on your nose. Boo! I hear ya; whenever I even think that my skin is looking clearer, bam, hello pesky pimple!!! lol.

@PrettyPaint  If you find that perfect concealer let me know lol... Struggling with the same over here. 

Just noticed your pleas for the best concealer and I found it ~ #NARS Soft Matte Complete Concealer! I'm 69 years young so yes, I've tried everything LOL to no avail over the years. This is it. I have normal to dry skin, but with my serums, moisturizer, primer, a little #Dr. Jart + BB cream, and a dot of this concealer on a red spot on my cheek with translucent setting powder and a spritz of UD All Nighter spray, I am good to go! When I do more makeup I absolutely love#Lancome's Tient Idole Foundation stick, that too can fill in as a concealer and is very portable with it's built-in brush. The regular NARS liquid concealer doesn't hold a candle to this, don't even bother! Good luck and check out my pics in the Beauty Board !!!

@missjeanie  I'll definitely let you know if I ever find something magical! I feel like I've tried them all. I actually ordered the new ones from "the ordinary." I haven't received them yet, but I'm hoping they are nice. 

Mine has stayed the same. I do alternate cleansers, depending upon how my skin is feeling and how deeply I need to clean. My skin is dry, but my nose and forehead can get oily, and I have some enlarged pores.  The Boscia, Tatcha, and Erno Laszlo really help with that, although I use them sparingly. They do help clear my skin even more. The Kiehl's cleanser is just so thorough and calming!  Love it.

I can't live without the Alpha H Beauty Sleep Power Peel- everyone should try this.  I kid you not.  I get lazy and won't do much to my skin except clean it, and in two uses of it I am mostly back on track for improving its condition.

Biossance Squalane + Omega Repair Deep Hydration Moisturizer 1.69 oz / 50 mL 

#Biossance Squalane + 10% Lactic Acid Resurfacing Night Serum

Kiehl's Since 1851 Ultra Facial Cleanser 

The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Exfoliating Toner 8 oz/ 240 mL 

boscia Clear Complexion Cleanser 

Biossance Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Firming Oil 1.01 oz / 30 mL 

Alpha-H Beauty Sleep Power Peel with 14% Glycolic Acid and 0.5% Retinol 

Erno Laszlo The Famous Black Bar 

Tatcha The Deep Cleanse Gentle Exfoliating Cleanser 

I didn't know Alpha-H sleep power peel existed until now @Ispend2much6! If it passes muster by you, it has made my list, possibly for the next sale depending on how much of my stash I get through by then! 😍 

@itsfi   I've been using it for years; there is nothing quite like it that I've tried. 🙂

I'll go back further than a year because my "base" makeup routine changed drastically, thanks to my intro to retinoids and last-straw frustration with liquid/cream foundations. I mean I've never been a frequent foundation wearer anyway, but I finally stopped playing the shade chasing game and switched to sheer tints that just blur the lines between my different skin tones, while my skincare routine balances them out. 

[ EDIT: I feel obligated to say I don't use daily every item you'll see in the spoiler tags. Most days, I just use concealer + setting powder and omit everything else I listed. 😄 That's how I've approached base makeup for years. I do find myself using tinted moisturizer or powder foundation more often (on unmasked parts of my face) nowadays, since my skin's getting blotchier due to hyperpigmentation lifting. ]

Mid-2018 and earlier: 
Spoiler
Primers 
Lancôme Blur & Go Stick  just on my oily zone 
Lancôme La Base Pro Perfecting and Smoothing Makeup Primer 
La Base Pro Hydra Glow (discontinued) 

Foundations I alternated 
Lancôme Teint Idole Ultra Cushion Foundation 
Lancôme Teint Idole Ultra Longwear Foundation Stick SPF 21 460 Suede W 

Concealer (used only on my undereyes and occasionally to spot conceal) 
NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer Amande; also shade Truffle as a color corrector 
Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder Translucent (which I kinda hated, but kept using til I tried HG’s powder) 
Skindinavia Setting Spray 
Late 2018 - 2019: 
Spoiler
I quit liquid and cream foundations when I found tinted moisturizers that actually worked for my skin tone(s). They include the relaunched (expanded shade range) Laura Mercier tinted moisturizers. I also found a powder foundation that works well for me, especially over sunscreens that leave a white/grey/purple cast. 

Primer 
Lancome Blur & Go Stick just on my oily zone 
Smashbox Photo Finish Hydrating Under Eye Primer, used occasionally 

Tinted moisturizer 
Lancôme SKIN FEELS GOOD Skin Nourishing Foundation 08N Sweet Honey 
MUFE Ultra HD Perfector, my favorite tinted moisturizer until it was discontinued 
Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer Natural Skin Perfector 5W1 Tan 
Laura Mercier Mini Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 20 - Oil Free 5W1 Tan 
Beauty Bakerie Flour Setting Powder (translucent) just on my oily nose 

Foundation 
By Terry Terrybly Densiliss Compact 6 Amber Beige, my favorite powder foundation; By Terry might be discontinuing this product 😞 

Concealer (undereyes & spot concealing) 
BECCA Cosmetics Ultimate Coverage Longwear Concealer Cinnamon , my favorite color correcting shade 
NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer Amande 
By Terry Hyaluronic Hydra-Powder (original translucent loose version) used 95% of the time 
Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Finish Setting Powder used the other 5% of the time 

Face brightening 
I never use concealer to brighten the center of my face. Instead I rely on powders that don't completely alter the skin tone of that part of my face. 

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush Collection Brilliant Nude , used sparingly because this is a strobe powder 
Hourglass Ambient® Lighting Palette 
2020 to now: 
Spoiler
I haven't used primers at all, and I don't bother using any makeup under my masks. 

Tinted moisturizer 
Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer Natural Skin Perfector 5W1 Tan 
Laura Mercier Mini Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 20 - Oil Free 5W1 Tan 

I'm searching for other options because these 2 shades are now slightly off for my skin tone, probably thanks to retinoids and the rest of my hyperpigmentation skincare routine. 

Foundation 
By Terry Terrybly Densiliss Compact 6 Amber Beige 

Or, sometimes I'll blend Supergoop! 100% Mineral (Re)setting Powder SPF 35 Dark and Medium shades together as a powder foundation over a white/gray-cast sunscreen. 

Concealer (undereyes & spot concealing) 
BECCA Cosmetics Ultimate Coverage Longwear Concealer Cinnamon , still my favorite color correcting shade 
Jouer Cosmetics Essential High Coverage Concealer Pen Dark Ochre 
By Terry Hyaluronic Hydra-Powder, both the translucent loose and pressed compact versions 

Face brightening 
Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush Collection Brilliant Nude , used sparingly because this is a strobe powder 
Hourglass Ambient® Lighting Palette 
I have Jouer Cosmetics Soft Focus Hydrate + Set Powder coming soon, and can't wait to test it against my rockstar By Terry setting powder. 

@WinglessOne I swear you perfectly explained how I feel about colour matching full on foundations versus using skin tints and tinted moisturizers. Frankly as I've gotten older my skin just looks so much better with the lighter coverage as well as being so much easier to match. 

@missjeanie  Isn't it nice to be free from the hassle and effort of full coverage foundations? I wish today's tints (and more inclusive shade range) had been available 15-20 years ago. I'd have happily used them instead of foundation right from the start. 

Absolutely @WinglessOne !  I'm still excited when I see new ones coming out to try.  Can't get enough of em these days.  I still remember trying a CC cream for the first time.  It was way too dark for me, and had an odd finish... but dang I remember falling in love with MAC face and body and it was a game changer pushing me to see how much better less coverage could look. Still a favourite for me years later.  I wish Sephora would carry it.

Oh this is fun!

Pre-pandemic: Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer ILIA True Skin Medium Coverage Serum Foundation with Niacinamide Hourglass Veil™ Translucent Setting Powder - Talc Free Translucent NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer 

Now: Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer Hourglass Veil™ Translucent Setting Powder - Talc Free Translucent NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer 

I've stopped using foundation altogether, no point when wearing the mask. I do miss using the Ilia foundation and Kosas Tinted Oil sometimes. Also still waiting for the Ilian Skin Tint to be available in Canada!

Then- Burberry Fresh Glow Primer, Guerlain magic balls. 

Now- Burberry Fresh Glow Primer, NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer , Guerlain magic balls. 

Basically I just added concealer. 

@Samtian  Now I can't stop thinking "magic balls" whenever I see Guerlain Meteorites. 🤣That's their name now. 

@WinglessOne @eshoe That also makes me very happy lol.

Hmmm @Samtian @WinglessOne @missjeanie Magic Balls they have been christened in my mind now as well🤣

Conversation Stats
Photos3
  • FoundationChallenge2021.png
  • 13P
  • 16259877009731267588990658493255.jpg
testing