cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Combination Skin
|
Anonymous Insider

Green Concealer For Redness

I have purchased 5 different brands of concealer, most green in color, all making claims to cover redness and blemishes...all failed horribly and I had to return them. I have sensitive skin, combination skin, prone to redness...all products I have tried turn my skin a awful green or ashen grey color...even with full makeup over top it just looked horrible...like I was wearing face paint. One expensive brand I tried claimed to color match your skin tones going from green to beige...it made my skin orange and oily, could not wear other makeup1 of 5 tested and failed1 of 5 tested and failed1 of 5 tested and failed1 of 5 tested and failed...it just caked and smudged over top. Can anyone please recommend a Redness & Blemish reducing concealer, that can be worn with/without makeup and not make me look like Shrek, Tin-Man or an Umpa-Lumpa ??? Also I would love if it was fragrance free or very lightly scented due to sensitivity. Thanks for your help 🙂

Re: Green Concealer For Redness

Hi! I've been struggling with redness and rosacea for years and have tried many a solution. Other than skincare to help keep my skin calm, I do use a green corrector most days. 

One important factor is your undertone though. Not all greens are created equally. I'm a light yellow /beige kind of color but with lots of surface redness. So I tend to like green concealers that are closer to a yellow-green or an olive green. The now-discontinued powder Tarina Tarantino green was very yellow/olive-y which worked well with my undertones to correct redness WITHOUT ashiness. Whenever I use very blue-greens, or very white/grey-greens they make me look ashy. It might be useful to first figure out your undertones.

Yellow correctors are also nice too, and are usually much more 'natural' looking than green. I used to use the Sephora green corrector which is nice, I also like the UD Naked green concealer. I am currently testing the new CoverFX click stix in yellow and green and LOVE them! 

Also, I know the urge to cover EVERYTHING with green is high, but sometimes just a little is all you need. Try concentrating a thin layer of the green corrector over your reddest spots. Then a layer of a normal concealer (spot conceal over the worst areas), then a thin layer of foundation. For me, that usually corrects all that I need to. Thin layers work best.

I have some mild redness, but usually foundation does the trick for me. I'm not the full-coverage type of person either so I dont mind if my natural skin shows through. I've only tried two products for color-correcting redness, but I think they do a good job.

(1) is the BECCA colour corrector. It's pricey but there's a lot of product inside. The product is pretty thick. Kind of has like a "gummy" feel to it. I apply it with a concealer brush.  

https://www.sephora.com/product/backlight-targeted-colour-corrector-P404107?skuId=1783745&icid2=prod...

(2) is the Dr. Jart cicapair color correcting cream, as others have mentioned. You dont need a lot, but you do need to rub it into your face well to get the color changing effect. But I would test this out with your primers/foundation. I noticed when I wear this alone, it wears away half way through the day so it might affect the longevity of your foundation. 

I had high hopes for the Dr Jart but it made me break out HORRIBLY, so if you get that to try I'd definitely patch test it first!

For green correctors I've had good luck with YSL, Algenist, and the Make Up For Ever green primer.  It Cosmetics' Bye Bye Redness is really nice too - it's a little dark for me but as long as I put it under foundation it's fine. 

Strangely, I've found that Make Up For Ever's blue primer works better for reducing redness for me than green primers though - it's not as strong a color corrector as the green primer, but it works a lot better with my skin tone (I'm about NC10-15) - the green primer tends to make me look a bit ashy, but the blue just evens my skin out really nicely. 

Anonymous Insider

I am in my 40s, have thyroids issues (read: combination skin for days!). I have acne scarring from my teen years that I have to cover before I go away from home.  My go-to CC trio for four years has been Physician's Formula.  It comes with concealer, CC cream, and a colour-correcting finishing powder. It costs about $16, but therr are three full-sized products. It goes on like a dream with a beauty blender. Give it a few minutes to dry, and then use your favorite setting spray.  I use e.l.f. mist and set.   So far, so good. But, with thyoid iaaues, each day varies.  Keep a good moisturizer handy.   Hope this helps!

Theresa 

My top greens:

Dr Jart Cicapair (in the jar) - I use this mostly in the winter

Sephora concealer - wand

Nyx - wand or pot

My worst:

UD - wand

Lancome - tube

Algenist - drops (edited to add)

My hints:

Tread lightly - esp w/ Dr J

Moisturize and let dry completely 

Set it

I have combo leaning oily somewhat sensitive skin.  Good luck!

I tried the nyx green color corrector wand and it was horrible.. I'm an NC15 as well and it kept on bunching up into areas I didn't want to correct making them look green when I blended and was patchy. I prefer the smash box color correcting primer.

My roommate is a die hard fan of the Dr. Jart Tiger grass cicapair, so id go with that because although its kinda pricey it will last her a long time. When she doesnt have work but will go out she just puts this on. Also, I think its important that if the redness is very pronounced the green corrector will help but it probably wont solve the red pigment issue. What I use to do when I had bad red marks from acne is I would put the green corrector over it, then a very light layer of concealer that was the same shade of my foundation, let that sit for a minuet and then go in with foundation and everything else.

@Anonymous Could you clarify what results you're wanting from a green color corrector? I don't think any of them are meant to cover redness completely; you just use a thin layer to help the redness be less intense. I have pretty red cheeks, and use a green color corrector from cover fx every day I wear makeup, but I don't think I would use it without makeup over top because it does look a bit odd. Cover FX also makes a more yellowish color corrector for mild redness. Perhaps you should look for something for more mild redness as you feel the green ones are turning you too green

8 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
Photos2
  • 1 of 5 tested and failed
  • 1 of 5 tested and failed
testing