Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Brand Loyal
|

Discussion for the Diptyque Crowd (please join!)

If you are a fan obsessed or just a beauty lover curious about Diptyque, come on over! I thought this would be a fun place to share your thoughts, collections, decorating ideas, questions about the fabulous world of Diptyque.

I started out with one candle, the Beverly Hills candle-which is so fabulous-I'll post a picture of it tomorrow-thinking I was crazy to buy a $70 candle. Yes, it's crazy-crazy good! I've since collected 2 or 3 more and purchased a perfume. This week I got my first body care item, the satin body oil. I really love everything from Diptyque.

So let's discuss 🙂 One question I have is how do you get the inside cleaned out so you can use the jars for pretty collections like I see a lot of on social media?

Re: Discussion for the Diptyque Crowd (please join!)

I don't know if it's just me but I don't detect any rose in Rosaviola.  I love rose scented things but this candle doesn't smell like that to me.  As I said, everyone has different scent preferences.  🙂

That's a good way to sample them!  I like those sets they have.  I may try one of those if they release one I am interested in.

I second this tip! Best to smell it before buying online. And if you have to buy online make sure you know which scents you like and which you don't really well. 

From my experience, cold sniff (pre burn) smells the same when I'm burning the candle. So I would recommend if you don't like it on cold sniff, don't burn it and return it. I think you can return a burned candle too if you got it from Nordstroms. 

That's good to know it smells the same post burn as pre burn! Thank you!

They should arrive tomorrow, so I'll update on how I like them. Fingers crossed!

I really like that second sentence.  It's so true!  Before I got into diptyque candles I didn't have a concept of what scents I like because I don't wear fragrance of any kind.  It's really important to really know what kind of scents.

I totally agree.

My saving grace for knowing the fruity and floral scents I like (and dislike) was a perfume search last summer. I can imagine it would have been hard without wearing fragrance to narrow it down!

@BaseballMommy it's very hard.  I'm still learning what I do/don't like,

Yes, and there have been times where I thought I liked a scent. For example Rosaviola. I kinda had an expectation that this was gonna be powdery. But when I got it I was still surprised...I don't hate it. But it's not my favorite. 

I think sometimes the scents are not what you're expecting either, especially if they're a combo or two scents/blended and not just a straight up rose of fig. 

That's exactly what happened with Oud.  I read the description and thought I would like it but it totally wasn't for me.  

That's true.  I love roses so I thought I'd love Rosaviola but I really don't.

Have you smelled the Roses (original) scent? It's my favorite Diptyque candle. It's a true rose with a touch of lychee, sweet fruitiness. It's not overwhelmingly sweet. But the lychee adds some depth. I'd try to get your hands on a mini one if you haven't tried it.

Yes I love that one!!  Roses is one of my favorites!

So after seeing diptyque candles on haul threads and the excitement they generate, I've bit the bullet and ordered two - rosa viola because it sounds lovely and the jar is gorgeous and baies as it also sounds like a scent up my alley and is their top seller (I believe!).

Questions for all of you:

1. I've heard to burn it for at least 1-2 hours on the first burn, is this accurate? Any other tips I need to know?

2. Are the snuffer and wick trimmer accessories must buys from diptyque? If you don't use these, what do you use?

Thanks in advance! 

Nice ones! I love both Rosaviola and Baies ❤️ 

1. As far as I know, to prevent tunneling, one should burn it until the whole surface has melted. How long depends on the size of the candle. I also trim the wick to 1/4"ish each time before burning so that it doesn't burn too fast or emit soot.

2. Both are supposed to work great, personally i never got around to buying either. I just blow my candles off and use a designated nail clipper to trim my wicks. (a nail clipper works better than scissors for me because it's less likely to drop the trimmed bit)

This is where I received my candle care info from:

http://www.thebeautylookbook(dot)com/2015/01/candle-care-tips.html

Thank you so much! Nail clippers are a smart idea! And thank you for the info site as well:)

I'm excited to try both of these, but I'm also strongly eyeing Mimosa!

What's your favorite?

Sorry to jump in here! But Mimosa is lovely! Very light floral. And if you love Rosaviola you will probably love Roses as well, not as powdery. 

I second the recommendation for Roses, it is such a lovely rose. But then all their roses -incl Tuberose, which i haven't burned yet though- are gorgeous 😄 (disclaimer: i really love rose scents.)

hehe, rose scents are beautiful. mimosa has me intrigued with the mix of floral and clean smell. saw on one review, it smells a touch like clean cotton, which is a nice smell.

i'm also interested in feu de bois, but i believe that will be better for the winter.

I appreciate the jump!!:)

I follow the same tips as TTBC. I have the wick trimmer and actually quite like it. The slight angle makes it easier than other snippers I have at home to trim the mini candles. 

Thank you! I want to get it eventually but wasn't sure if I could use something else in the mean time.

Regarding the wick trimmer, I use one I bought on Amazon for, like $7 a few years ago - I use it for all my candles and it works great.

I never would have thought of using a nail clipper - brilliant!

They recommend waiting until the top layer of wax is liquified on first burn so the candle burns more evenly. It takes more like 4 hours in my experience. Otherwise, it will form a tunnel and the wax on the sides of the jar never melts and you don't get the advertised burn time. 

I have the the snuffer and wick trimmer. Mostly because I think they are beautiful. Neither is really a must have imo but I would consider the wick trimmer. It's really convenient that the shape catches the pieces of burnt wick so they don't drop in your candle 😉 

812 Replies
testing