Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Products to help straight, long hair hold curls; Dyson Airwrap

Smallest barrel, immediately after finishing the first sideSmallest barrel, immediately after finishing the first sideSmallest barrel, about 20 minutes after finishingSmallest barrel, about 20 minutes after finishingSmallest barrel, immediately after curling both sides. You can see the curls on one side already droppingSmallest barrel, immediately after curling both sides. You can see the curls on one side already droppingMy first time trying the larger barrels with the airwrap, about 15 minutes after finishing and gently brushed-outMy first time trying the larger barrels with the airwrap, about 15 minutes after finishing and gently brushed-out

I have extremely straight, long hair. I have a lot of hair, and I guess you could say it is at least an average thickness. In the past I would work really hard with a round brush and blow-dryer to create a decent blowout, which always looked flat by day 2. I never put in the effort for more fun looks, because it would take so much time, would usually fallout, and I worried about damage. To be honest, I let my hair air-dry on most days. Last month my husband bought me the Dyson Airwrap, and it's actually been life-changing. I especially love the larger barrel, even though the curls fallout a little, because I'm left with the look of a blow-out that would be otherwise unattainable and lasts for 3-4 days. The smaller barrel gives me beautiful curls that are very short-lived (see pics). Because I've never been so invested in my hair, I feel completely clueless with products. I bought the B+B Spray de Mode Hairspray, but this hasn't helped with the curls from the smaller barrel. Please share any product recommendations or tips. In case it's helpful, I currently use Moroccanoil shampoo & conditioner, a little Moroccanoil treatment (oil) on my ends, and Sebastian Trilliant (heat protection spray). 

Thank you!

Anonymous Insider

Re: Products to help straight, long hair hold curls; Dyson Airwrap

I see this post is over a year old, so I was just wondering if you have found any products to hold the curls you were looking for. I am having the same problem with my curls falling with the Airwrap. I only have the short barrels, though. I want to try the longer barrels, but I’m not sure which size to get. 

Hi, @MackyDeanna !  Your hair is very pretty!  💖💖💖

Wow first you have gorgeous hair (in all of the photos) but I see what you mean about the curls dropping. Are you looking to have strong barrel looking curls all day like on the left side of the photos where you've just curled them? Because you could probably achieve that with a significant amount of hairspray (though it will be hard/sticky). Some of the problem with your curls falling is simply the weight of your hair- it looks really healthy and thick and gravity is going to fight you on your pretty curls! Oils are also going to weigh your hair down a bit so if you really like using them maybe just a tiny bit on the ends. My hair is a little different than yours, it's wavier so it holds curls well- right now I'm using the Bumble and Bumble and bumble Bb. Curl (Style) Conditioning Mousse 5 oz/ 148 mLalong with Tigi Control Freak (for smoothness). A lot of people don't like mousse because they think it makes hair crunchy and stiff but I've found that's only if you use too much. I've also heard great things about DevaCurl from friends who have naturally curly hair so their products might help keep your curls. Oribe Creme for Style is fantastic though I have never used their curly products (I'm sure they're just as great though). I don't own a Dyson Airwrap but I use hairspray in my hair as a heat protectant (my stylist told me to use hairspray instead of heat protectant and I have no heat damage even though I use styling tools several times a week) and sometimes just as hairspray. You might have more success with the small barrel curls if you use section out pieces of your hair once it's dry, spray them lightly with hairspray and then curl them with a small barrel curling iron. The hairspray will protect and style the curls the way you want them and once they've cooled, they shouldn't fall much. The most important tip about curls though is not to touch them! ESPECIALLY while they're cooling from heat styling but even after, no running your hands through your hair, brushing it or handling it much at all. If you want to soften the barrel curls a bit after they've cooled use your fingers very gently, no brushing or combing. The more you handle curls the likelier they are to lose their shape and for naturally curly hair, that causes a lot of frizz. 

Soo....I hope this was helpful? Your hair is very lovely and I'm so happy you've found a new tool that works for you. Let us know what ends up working for you! Xx.

@MackyDeanna Your hair is so beautiful! 

Best,
Rebecca

RE: Products to help straight, long hair hold curls; Dyson Airwrap

I would recommend using a holding product before and after. L’Oréal Techni Art Constructor apply dry right before you curl your hair and set it with a heavy duty hair spray. If you like to brush our your curls for a bit of separation use just you fingers but it that doesn’t work either you can try pinning up your curls and letting them set. It’s the downfall to having nice heathy hair like yours, it won’t hold much

@MackyDeanna  It kills me to say this but I have the Dyson Airwrap as well and never use it anymore because I had the same issue with my hairstyles only lasting an hour tops before they fall/frizz up on me. I also use the same hair products you do (Morrocanoil line) and I don't think the issue is with the hair products you are using but really with the actual hair styler itself. I use Living Proof Style Lab Flex Hairspray 7.5 ozto hold my curls in place and they last all day and into the next day if I use a normal curling iron but my curls with the Airwrap only last half an hour or so with this hairspray. 

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 13 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
Photos4
  • Smallest barrel, immediately after curling both sides. You can see the curls on one side already dropping
  • My first time trying the larger barrels with the airwrap, about 15 minutes after finishing and gently brushed-out
  • Smallest barrel, immediately after finishing the first side
  • Smallest barrel, about 20 minutes after finishing
testing