Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

OLAPLEX Damaged my hair

My hair was destroyed by OLAPLEX and now I want to share my story in order to save other people from experiencing the same. 

Let me preface this by explaining that my hair prior to using the @Olaplex system was long, thick  and healthy. I have natural blonde, straight hair that has not been highlighted in a year. I air-dry my hair every day and only use high-quality products. Because of covid and quarantine, I never have to use heat on my hair. I probably only style my hair with heat once a month. Because I have taken such good care of my hair, it grew and thickened tremendously. I had been getting so many compliments about how healthy and long my hair was. 

Because I was having a major “treat yourself” moment, I splurged on the entire line of products at Sephora because I had heard it’s the holy grail for hair health. Though I had never tried OLAPLEX, I trusted the brand because of how highly recommended and used they are by salon professionals all over the world. 

I used OLAPLEX  0, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 & carefully followed the instructions. Immediately, I noticed that my hair was extremely dry after washing out the conditioner. When using the leave-in conditioner, I had to use a lot of product in order to finger through my hair and work through the matted tangles. As heavy as that product was, it didn’t help my dry hair. After using this system for a week, my hair on the top of my head and surrounding my face all broke off.  It started coming out in clumps. I am so devastated.

My hair has turned as dry as straw and has shrunken up to these matted rats nests. It looks like my hair is elastic and fried. Nothing has helped to fix the damage or return the moisture. The hair around my face that was once down to my chest has broken straight off. Now it looks like I have a matted mullet. 

I know people who use these products and love them. However, I’m finding out that I’m not alone in this. There are a lot of people experiencing the same thing as me.

These products need to be removed from Sephora’s shelves. They’re not for everyone and the public needs to know the risks and potential disasters they may face if they use them. It’s not fair for customers to have to be surprised by losing half of their hair. This year already sucks; let us keep our hair. 

Olaplex No. 0 Intensive Bond Building Hair Treatment Kit

Olaplex No. 3 Hair Repair Perfector 3.3 oz/ 100 mL 

Re: OLAPLEX Damaged my hair

When it works for some but can have extremely damaging effects to some, they shouldn’t be on the shelves for consumers to have a coin toss on if it’s going to either work well or make their hair both break off and fall out. At the very minimum, they need to educate people on who this product is for and who it is not for, instead of deeming it the universal holy grail for all hair types. 

I know there are plenty of reasons for hair loss. These can include hormonal disruptions, thyroid disease and many others. However, none of these are the reason for my hair breaking off and being chemically fried. These damaging results were directly correlated to using OLAPLEX products, as the drastic effects occurred immediately after use of OLAPLEX 0 & 3 - then continued to get worse while using the shampoo and conditioner. 

Re: OLAPLEX Damaged my hair

Helped you something,anything? I go trought the same. I get my last Olaplex treatment in august 2020. My hair stiff ,dry, brittle, thin and thinner and i'm loosing more than 7 month! I don't know, how can i stopped! I tried eveything, but nothing changes. My hair extremly dehydrated from roots, but impossible hydratyng it! IT WAS OLAPLEX,THAT IS SURE!!!Who experience, agree. We are not alone!

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
testing