cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Moroccanoil Color Depositing Mask!

Moroccan Oil Hair Masks and Hair.jpg

Hi friends! Moroccanoil has a new and exciting Color Depositing Hair Mask and, as always, when we heard it help to moisturize and can deposit color in the hair we knew had to put this newness to the test.

When I first learned about this mask I was intimidated. While changing your hair color is exciting, it is also a big commitment and a lot or work. Luckily this product is SO EASY to use (seriously I cannot stress that enough), smells good, leaves your hair feeling extra smooth, and fully washes out after a handful of washes.

This mask offers an easy way to change up your look with less commitment than permanent treatments and dyes. Simply apply the mask to your hair as if you were applying any hair mask. Leave it on for 5-7 minutes, then rinse and voila! New hair who this?

I tried the Cocoa shade and our co-worker Alex tried the Bordeaux shade. I am very sensitive to scent so I was happy this mask doesn’t smell like chemicals. After rinsing, my hair felt and looked so soft. Some of the key ingredients are amino acids which help hydrate and nurture the hair, antioxidants which help to support the natural hair repair process, and apricot kernel oil which helps hydrate the hair and scalp.

As far as the mask’s ability to deposit color, I am impressed. The bottom half of my hair was looking brassier than I like so I wanted to try out a shade that would cover those brassy tones. Alex loves to play with hair color and wanted to try a fun shade that would make her soft red hair more vibrant (see our before and after pictures below).

Alex Before and After.jpgBrendaBT Before and After.jpg

I left the mask on my hair for full 7 minutes because I wanted my hair to be darker and last longer; I am now on my fifth wash and my color is now a softer brown, but still looks healthy and not as brassy as before. If you are busy, looking to add some moisture to your hair or want a change definitely give this mask a try!

Have any of you ever tried semi-permanent color treatments before? What did you think?

RE: Moroccanoil Color Depositing Mask!

I am curious how well it washes out. If anyone has before and after the colour mask and then after how many washes did the colour go back to normal? My hair sucks in colour so easily I’m nervous to do this and wreck it....

Re: Moroccanoil Color Depositing Mask!

@BrendaBT I love the results! I can't wait to try the platinum one.

Do you think the small packet would be enough to cover the hair? How much product did you need? My hair is about the same length as yours.

RE: Moroccan Oil Color Depositing Mask!

This is exciting. I was excited to try but I decided to go with the Sephora collection one. Beautiful bright colours.

Re: Moroccan Oil Color Depositing Mask!

thanks for testing this out! I'm excited to see it on dark hair! I feel like usually those kinds of products don't work on me but  it looks like it left some super nice color on you!!!

@BrendaBT Thanks for testing it out! I’m going to grab the cocoa shade for my mom and see what she thinks. 

@BrendaBT  how many tubes did you and Alex need?

I recently used Joico's color butter which worked well, but I was surprised at how much I needed! 

@BrendaBT How cool! I need to try this. Love your results 🙂

Best,

Rebecca

@BrendaBT - Your & Alex's hair looks great after using this product!  I used to get my hair highlighted and lowlighted by my stylist.  After she retired, I stopped, so right now I'm au natural (ha, ha).  Now that I found someone I really like (after 5 years!), I've been thinking about getting highlights, or something, again.  Maybe I'll give this a try first--it'll be less expensive and won't last as long if I don't like it.

This sounds awesome!  I get my hair done at a salon (thick, black asian hair to silver hair) once in two months.  I use Fanola No Yellow Purple Shampoo (toner) every 2-3 weeks or when the silver starts turning yellow.  It works well and the color comes out pretty nicley, but since it is a toner, it can be damaging and dries out my hair.  I use Olaplex 3 to help keep it smoother.

I'll definitely try the silver one once there are enough good reviews.  I'll admit I'm a bit skeptical about this product since Overtone is a similar color depositing conditioner and I've read bad comments on Instagram about it and how damaging it is and how it's "not really possible" since hair dye is in it and hair dye is damaging.

Fingers crossed tho!!

@RAWRitsRED wrote:

This sounds awesome!  I get my hair done at a salon (thick, black asian hair to silver hair) once in two months.  I use Fanola No Yellow Purple Shampoo (toner) every 2-3 weeks or when the silver starts turning yellow.  It works well and the color comes out pretty nicley, but since it is a toner, it can be damaging and dries out my hair.  I use Olaplex 3 to help keep it smoother.

I'll definitely try the silver one once there are enough good reviews.  I'll admit I'm a bit skeptical about this product since Overtone is a similar color depositing conditioner and I've read bad comments on Instagram about it and how damaging it is and how it's "not really possible" since hair dye is in it and hair dye is damaging.

Fingers crossed tho!!

Red, give it a try! "Hair dye" is so broad. This is what we would refer to as a direct dye... meaning, it does not penetrate the hair cuticle- it lays on top, adding shine. Direct dyes are super conditioning and more like a tinted hair mask, as long as you buy from a reputable, or pro company. Maybe that's why the other brand got bad reviews? Idk. Some brands' direct dye will be more pigmented, but the only way for it to stay longer is if it's highly pigmented... which could be bad bc sometimes they could stain (if you were to use, like Manic Panic fire engine red..).

Demi-permanent is the next step up from direct dye, and it's what's used to tone. A good acidic toner will seal the cuticles and add health to the hair, usually after a blonding service. Normally there's no ammonia in demi. However, it's mixed with 6-10 volume deleloper which can maybe be the reason for the hair feeling "damaged." This is a for sure safe bet though. It will only add tons of shine and health to your hair with temporary color.  No ammonia or bad stuff here. I've used it and absolutely love! But the color doesn't stay on for many washes... maybe 6-8 depending on what shade. 

Best! 

Britt 

Thanks for this post! Definitely ran to find this product, and just ordered the sample of the platinum because of this post. Hoping it helps tone my balayage hair! 

This looks great. I actually already had one in my cart to try, so I'm so glad to read this positive review.

Woah! This stuff looks great! I haven’t colored my hair since October and it’s looking a bit faded and brassy. I’d love to give this a try to liven up my lifted ends!

@BrendaBT  As a bottle redhead this excites me!

@BrendaBT  Wow!  This might be my answer for between hair colorings to touch up my roots.

@Ispend2much6 wrote:

@BrendaBT  Wow!  This might be my answer for between hair colorings to touch up my roots.

I was praying this touches up roots I hate the spraying of my style edit was good as it covers it's gross feeling all can be itchy..then I skip washing my hair 2 days since the roots come in full blast - ugh with that stuff clogging already thin hair losing it too post rather early menopause 😞     any ideas if it may really cover up gray roots? thanks so much guys! Marianne

@BrendaBT  Wow this product works amazingly based on the photos you posted.  It really shows on Alexs photo about the color change. Its a good brand too, and their items smell good and are not too heavy (at least the ones I tried).

17 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos3
  • Moroccan Oil Hair Masks and Hair.jpg
  • Alex Before and After.jpg
  • BrendaBT Before and After.jpg
testing