Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

K18 Leave-In Molecular Repair Hair Mask

I first heard about this product on BIC, and interestingly enough my sister wants me to send her a bottle of this since she's living out of the country right now.  I figured that I'd pick one up for myself, but I'm a little confused on how to apply this. 

The website states that you should skip the conditioner and apply this as a leave-on.  I have very thick, dry hair that is prone to frizz.  I always use a ton of conditioner.  So, my dilemma is that IDK how much (or little) of this to apply.  I'm not a trial and error type of person when it comes to my hair, as it takes me so long to style (wash, dry, flat iron).

Tagging a couple people who might know about this: @GG84 (I believe you first brought my attention to this product; and you are the hair guru!) and @Ispend2much6 (did I see you mention on the boards that you were going to pick up a bottle of this - or am I thinking of someone else?).  THANKS!  🙂

Re: K18 Leave-In Molecular Repair Hair Mask

For your hair, use a conditioner and wash out as normal - then apply k18. It doesn’t really moisturize (it repairs on a molecular level inside of the polypeptide chain in the Cortex

of your hair!) so I always use mine after a good moisture condition 

@greeneyedgirl107 

Psst a birdie told me K18 was going to be sold at Sephora soon. 

@GG84 OMGGGG!  Thanks for spilling the tea!

@greeneyedgirl107 @GG84 sounds interesting. What is it supposed to do? I’ve never heard of this brand or product. I don’t heat style or color my hair but once it starts getting longer I feel like it is more prone to breakage, which leads to me cutting it again.

@makeitup305 I don't have the best answer since I've never used it before.  Basically, I think it uses peptides to make your hair softer.  I've heard it works really well.  The website (k18hair dotcom) has FAQs, etc.  One thing I was surprised about was that you shouldn't apply conditioner before using it.  

@greeneyedgirl107 I posted a reply saying how interested I was and how intriguing it sounded and how sad I was to see it was $75. Quick google search found it for $50 on LovelySkin and somehow that was way more palatable. Can’t wait to try it, my hair is healthy but I feel like it needs a little extra oomph.

@makeitup305 That is a much better price!!!  Give us all the details when you try it 🙂

@greeneyedgirl107 will do!

@greeneyedgirl107   You're going to laugh, but I just saw the empty box of the trial size of this that I bought awhile ago.  I tried it once, and liked it, but now I can't find the tube that has the rest of it.  I am planning on buying a regular-sized tube/bottle.  I wish I could remember more- sorry!

Did I ever mention Color Wow's Supernatural spray to you?  I will take a picture of before and after next time I wash my hair and show you how it performs.  I used it yesterday after using Brigeo's co-wash for curly hair, Ouidad's Curl Quench leave-in conditioner, and let it air dry.  I actually had ringlets again, instead of my normal frizz (it seems like the top layer of my hair is flatter and more frizzy than the underside for some weird reason.)

@Ispend2much6 That IS funny!  I was looking at the K18 website today, hoping that there would be a sale but there wasn't...at least not on the homepage - maybe people that subscribe to their e-mails got a special code or something.

I've definitely heard people mention COLOR WOW Dream Coat Supernatural Spray Anti-Frizz Treatment 6.7 oz/ 200 mL on BIC.  I'm curious, but also scared b/c I think a couple BICers didn't care for it.  I'm super happy it worked well for you!  My hair is the same way, with the top layer being flat and frizzier.  I wanted to get a walk-in appt to get it cut today, but figured my sale was closed on Mondays and I was right.

My hair is just so effortful to do, so I'm really hesitant to try new products - especially ones like the K18 and Color Wow since they're so different than just adding in a new serum or something.  I'll build up my courage, though!

K18 typically doesn’t do sales on their products! $75 is normal for the take home. There is a trial size for $12 and a mini size for $25 I think. They are all worth every penny. 

@greeneyedgirl107  It's great that both companies offer trial sizes.  I know what you mean about being concerned about trying new things.  I recently colored my hair, and, once again, forgot that I had boxes of the previous shade that I used, which are too dark for me.  I kept them in case I wanted to mix with a lighter shade or go back to it.

The hair itself is okay, but those roots shed the color in 3 weeks!  So, I used a L'Oreal root rescue, permanent color product to hopefully get my roots in line with the rest of my hair.

The good news is- the L'Oreal does not seem like it will budge from my roots.  The bad news is- the dark brown shade is actually black on my roots!  So now I have two-toned hair. 😞  I have to figure out what I can use to  lighten the roots, and hopefully it won't turn into a purple or red shade.  Sigh.  All because I want to put back what time took away.

@Ispend2much6 I also love it when companies offer trial sizes.  Of course, trial sizes are often not enough for me when it comes to hair products since my hair is past my shoulders and thick.

I'm sorry you've had so much back and forth with coloring your hair.  That's one thing I'm grateful that I don't have to deal with - for now.  

For k18 you only need a pea sized amount for each section of hair! If you get a bottle that has a pump, use one pump per every large section. It’s a powerful formula and a little goes a long way. 

@greeneyedgirl107 

Depending on hair length, one pump should be suffice focusing on mid lengths down. Let it sit for 4 mins before styling or applying any other products. 

K18 also echoed the one pump suggestion.  When I told them the length (a few inches past my shoulders) and the thickness (very!) here's what they wrote back: 

Thank you for that information. I recommend applying no more than 1 pump/ dime size amount per application. Section your hair into 2 sections, emulsify the product into your hands and then rake the product into your hair half a dime size per section. Let it set for 4 minutes for it to fully penetrate down to the polypeptide chains of your hair, then you can layer a leave in conditioner and then brush through.

I'm still nervous about how my hair will feel and blow dry.  Also, what leave-in conditioners are good?  Can I use It's a 10 Miracle Leave-In Treatment?  Or, should I use something specifically marketed as a leave-in (I think I have a couple of those that I need to dig out)...and how much leave-in?  I'm scared of using two new-to-me products at once!

K18 is a leave in hair mask. I recommend it to my clients after a deep condition, apply to towel dried hair, let sit for 4 minutes, and then use whatever other products. I use Olaplex 6&7 after before I dry my hair 

ps it’s a 10 may be too heavy after k18 as it can coat the hair , the it’s a 10 

@GG84 Thanks so much for answering.  Also, do you have any insight into what my hair should "feel" like so I  might know when I've applied the right amount?  I'm thinking maybe it should feel like how my hair feels after I rinse out my usual conditioner?

@greeneyedgirl107 

No actually, your hair feel pretty weird the first few times you use it. Then like the 3rd or 4th time it’s like an ahh-ha! moment. After the 4 mins you can use a leave in conditioner, that’s what I do when I use it. 

@GG84 That's really good information!  Thanks so much.  🙂 🙂 🙂  I truly appreciate it.

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 57 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing